Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2013 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

jcolwell wrote:
I want both! Not in the same body, of course.

I also want both. And in the same body would be great But in different bodies would also be ok

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:18 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

jj_glos wrote:
That's for your specific use, others like myself were interested in the A7 for general photography where AF is needed. I have zero interest in landscape photography, I was interested in a camera that as a base would provide lots of flexibility for family orientated photography (lens use with adapters, including smaller MF glass). Even with native lenses the AF isn't looking that great so I'm back to picking up a 5D3 next and I'll see how the A7 line evolves.

For landscapes I can see it's an attractive option, but my initial excitement has faded now.

For your type of photography, Canon has a lot of different camera options. People needing Goid AF can just use a 7d or 5d3...why even look at the Sony for these shooting needs?

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:30 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

chez wrote:
For your type of photography, Canon has a lot of different camera options. People needing Goid AF can just use a 7d or 5d3...why even look at the Sony for these shooting needs?

Well I could want the improved DR as well, it is useful for uses other than landscape. To be honest though, personally that isn't a major requirement. I like the style of the body, I like the wide range of glass it can potentially use. The prospect of using quality MF glass on a FF body interested me. Potentially I can have everything from a small lightweight MF walk around setup, to a fully gripped 70-200 f2.8 setup for sports. If the A7 had demon AF and the lens lineup to back it up I would sell all my Canon gear now. I was obviously being unrealistic in my expectations, but someone will meet them one day

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:56 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I also want both. And in the same body would be great But in different bodies would also be ok

+1, until then at least we have an option to full fill our needs for now.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

dehowie wrote:
So will they test the Sony's AF with Canon glass as well as the 1DMk3's was maybe someone running toward the camera in harsh light..oh i forgot that was for the Canon bodies only..
Oh AF doesnt count its only the 2 extra stops of DR that matters..
The assumption Sony can make Canon lenses AF as well as the Mk3 and 1Dx module is at best wishful thinking but hey you guys im sure will end up with the best unfocused images in history..oh i forgot its all about DR..

Actually it is for some shots and for quite a few of those shots tripod and 10x liveview manual focusing works more than fine. And if you are using a T&S you'd be doing that anyway, I mean do you run and gun with a T&S?

Sure for shooting some soccer or surfing or birds leaping around and so forth and so on it won't work and you use your 5D3 or 1DX or whatnot. And sure more MP and DR could help some of those to in this case the A7R won't help that all that often in those cases, but hey nothing in Canon helps that at all in this scenario or the ones above.

As of now, I'm looking at this instead of a 7D2 for the spring.

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:51 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

skibum5 wrote:
As of now, I'm looking at this instead of a 7D2 for the spring.

You were looking at a 7D2 to do high DR landscapes?

Nov 02, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

I really welcome this discussion and the release of the A7 - if Canon wants to play the game of rehashing and tweaking old sensors then they just may have to pay a price for it.

That price might be fewer future sales of a competitor to the A7, or it might simply be a tarnished reputation given Sony's advances.

I bet Canon's industrial spies knew this was in the works - as I am sure since the release of the D800 they have been working on something.

Or perhaps they are struggling with sensor R&D and production? Perhaps they will - however unlikely - release something groundbreaking?

Let's hope for some incredibly interesting cameras in 2014 - if not before.

Nov 02, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

Paul Mo wrote:
The discussion is about finding out how good or bad the AF is - rating it you know, cos' we are interested in that sort of thing.

Take care,
Paul.

Most Canon lenses will not have AF when using the Metabones adapter. It's the latest Canon EF lenses made after 2006 that have AF support. And most third party lenses such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokina will not have AF.
The lenses that have AF support. It will be very slow and inadequate for moving subjects. And Continuous AF does not work at all.
I hope all the other lenses without AF support have aperture control. When reading on the Metabones website there are a lot of questions and with many lenses I don't know for sure. I'm belive they know most of it in the Alt forum.
So probably MF canon-mount lenses from Zeiss, Voigtländer and also a few from Canon will be much better to use on the camera. And that's because of their long focus throw that will make the MF more easy compared to normal EF lenses with AF.

Nov 03, 2013 at 12:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Most Canon lenses will not have AF when using the Metabones adapter. It's the latest Canon EF lenses made after 2006 that have AF support. And most third party lenses such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokina will not have AF.

Why 2006; is there different AF programming? Perhaps somebody can develop better adapters if the camera is worthwhile.

EBH

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:04 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · A7r with Canon glass. Anyone excited?

EB-1 wrote:
Why 2006; is there different AF programming? Perhaps somebody can develop better adapters if the camera is worthwhile.

EBH

You can read from the Metabones website here
http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

Nov 03, 2013 at 08:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.