Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

I just ordered a 27" LED monitor made by LG Electronics. I have never purchased or owned any LG products of any type, so I'm interested in comments from people who have.

This is the one I picked up.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/monitors/lg-27EA83R

It's on sale for $650 + $18 shipping

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

I can't say, but the specs look good and LG are THE panel maker.

Oct 20, 2013 at 07:36 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

They die a month or two after warrantee expires in like 70 or 80% of cases. So if the price per time period is worth it to you then sure.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #4 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Bifurcator wrote:
They die a month or two after warrantee expires in like 70 or 80% of cases. So if the price per time period is worth it to you then sure.

Unfortunately a Google search for complaints on LG monitors didn't reveal that 70% or more of LG monitors die after the warranty expires.

Where did you get your info about this from?

Oct 20, 2013 at 07:19 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Anecdotal references mostly. Two of my own did that. And 7 from among 8 friends asked (from among about 120 people total - 8 had dead LG monitors). Also there was a whistle-blower document published which states that LG brand monitors are actually programmed to kill themselves within 6 months of warrantee expiration. I read it almost 2 years ago but it'll probably still show up on a search with a little patience.

I'd be interested to know if any of my messages showed up in your google search tho. When mine died I posted maybe 50 messages about it and the last 10 or so linked that insider engineering document along with. So if you didn't see any of mine then I'm left wondering just how complete that google search was. While publishing mine I saw many from others who said the same thing - although almost none of them were mad about it. Most felt it was fair or good enough that the monitor lasted out the warrantee period.

Oct 21, 2013 at 08:38 AM
Pictus

p.1 #6 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

They suffer from PWM(Pulse Width Modulation)
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1362457985
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

I made a guide to help choosing the right monitor...

Oct 21, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #7 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Bifurcator wrote:
Anecdotal references mostly. Two of my own did that. And 7 from among 8 friends asked (from among about 120 people total - 8 had dead LG monitors). Also there was a whistle-blower document published which states that LG brand monitors are actually programmed to kill themselves within 6 months of warrantee expiration. I read it almost 2 years ago but it'll probably still show up on a search with a little patience.

I'd be interested to know if any of my messages showed up in your google search tho. When mine died I posted maybe 50 messages about it and
...Show more

I find it hard to believe that a company would 'program' their monitors to die six months after the warranty expires because that would be a criminal act and I'm confused how the monitor would know when the warranty started anyways.

But nothing surprises me anymore after the revelations of what the NSA has been up to.

But I would appreciate reading those messages you posted. Perhaps you could point me to the forum(s) where you made your observations.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #8 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Pictus wrote:
They suffer from PWM(Pulse Width Modulation)
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1362457985
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

I made a guide to help choosing the right monitor...

Thanks for the links.

The company I ordered the monitor from has a return policy, so I'll thoroughly vet the monitor before the return date expires.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #9 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

I've cancelled the order for the LG monitor.

Their web site is a bit misleading to say the least. It turns out the monitor that the salesperson said supported Adobe RGB, in fact, is only an 8-bit monitor and only supports sRGB.

It is misleading because they have two monitors, and list one specification which shows it supports Adobe RGB.

I ordered a Dell U2713H for $749 described at this link http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=225-4148

It looks like a nicer unit, supports 99% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB and 120% CIE 1976 (lab).

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

I dunno very much about monitors (more than a total n00b but a lot less than some people I see posting about them) but you can get a consumer grade Eizo for pretty cheap. NEC has a super awesome high-grade monitor and also consumer models - I would guess their consumer grade monitors are great too - respectively. People say that some of the DELL monitors are among the best in their respective price range and their reasonably priced with "deals" happening every so often. The Dell outlets here will also discount 20% or so if asked.

Those are the brands I would be looking at if shopping for an LCD right now. On a stretch there are quite a few reviewers who like Acer brand monitors but I dunno if such reviewers can be trusted. They mostly just compare spec sheet listings and look at a few test images and I dunno if that's enough or not. If you wanna know more about what they say just search for "best LCD monitor" or whatever, and read 4 or 5 of them.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:25 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

The best way to find out how bad a monitor is (or any other product) is wait until the replacement model appears on the market Unfortunately, not very helpful with the current models.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #12 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Figured I would finish this thread with my final thoughts now that I've received my Dell U2713H.

I'm blown away. Mind you, my previous monitors have all been stock sRGB models and max 1920 resolution.

The colors and shadow detail are nearly spot on when I compare my prints to the screen.

I'm very impressed, but if I had to do it over again, I'd order the 30" model so the text doesn't look quite so small at it's highest resolution of 2560x1440.

I'm getting used to it - but a tiny bit bigger would probably be ideal.

Nov 03, 2013 at 04:06 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

You can change the default font and font size across the entire OS and 95% of applications as well, in just a few clicks. This is true for Windows, OS X and Linux as well.

The other 5% (or maybe a little more) are applications using custom libraries to render their GUIs and those will usually but not always, offer a separate in-app preference which will allow the font and font size to be changed.

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #14 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Bifurcator wrote:
You can change the default font and font size across the entire OS and 95% of applications as well, in just a few clicks. This is true for Windows, OS X and Linux as well.

The other 5% (or maybe a little more) are applications using custom libraries to render their GUIs and those will usually but not always, offer a separate in-app preference which will allow the font and font size to be changed.

I'm aware of the ability to change font sizes. I owned a computer business for 25 years until I shut it down in 2010.

Which brings me to the question I asked earlier......

Did you ever find the document or link that purported that LG programmed their equipment to die after the warranty warranty ran out? Still curious to read that.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

No, I didn't re-look for it. I guess YOU can find it if you're interested in that. I don't BS about stuff tho so you can just trust what I said if you would prefer that over a 20min. search effort. Up to you.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #16 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Bifurcator wrote:
No, I didn't re-look for it. I guess YOU can find it if you're interested in that. I don't BS about stuff tho so you can just trust what I said if you would prefer that over a 20min. search effort. Up to you.

To be frank, I don't even trust my doctor, and I know him.

You, I don't know at all. So no, I can't just trust you wouldn't BS about something. You probably wouldn't knowingly BS about something so incredibly evil.

I think you actually believe what you articulated. But I think you've just been misled.

It would be a criminal offense for a company to design their products to stop working after the warranty period ran out. And if they actually did such a thing, there are hundreds or thousands of qualified people who could determine the truth of it so as to permit the prosecution of the company and the board of directors in a court of law. And a class action civil suit would follow.

So again, I trust you might believe what you said. I just don't believe the allegations to be true.

Not wishing to make an enemy, let's just drop the topic and move on. This is after all, a great site to share our passion for photography. And I'm quite sure you have a wealth of valid and verifiable information to share that can enrich my life or help me grow in my knowledge of photography and related subjects.

Regards,

Cliff

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:30 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

Like I said, totally up to you.

And no, that is in no way a criminal offense! Many companies do similar things. It's quite common! Consider for a moment that almost all cameras have a shutter actuation limit and drives have both a MTBR and specified number of hours before they "need" to be replaced. The only difference is that in those cases usually the limits are published. Not always tho. Some drives don't specify and some camera manufacturers do not publicly list the shutter life expectancy. A lot of stuff is like this, refrigerators, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, PC PSUs, HDD, SSDs, RAM, all LCDs have a finite lifespan which the manufacturers are fully aware of. And in most of the above cases these failure rates are engineered into the design. It's just that with LG monitors it's a rather short period.

It doesn't really matter tho. Just consider the warrantee period for any LCD you buy as being it's life-span spec. Sure many last several times longer but if it doesn't then what? You're going to spend $700 to repair an out of warranty $1,000 LCD or $300 to repair an out of warrantee $400 LCD?

Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 06:49 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:34 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #18 · Looking for feedback on LG brand monitors

To be frank, I don't even trust my doctor, and I know him. You, I don't know at all. So no, I can't just trust you wouldn't BS about something.

Yet you believe that a company would never do such a dirty underhanded thing. Yeah, like that's never happened before...

I like LG products. I have an LG Hi-Def TV, LG Blu-Ray player and an LG washer/dryer combo but I would never put anything past any company. And as for someone being able to unearth the veracity of such a claim? I wouldn't trust them either.

LG was fined over $380 million for price fixing (along with almost ALL of the other panel manufacturers) so a little 'sharp' engineering wouldn't surprise me at all.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:47 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password