Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

little edits, big differences

dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · little edits, big differences

i am still amazed at how much processing plays in the production of good images. maybe i'm just no that skilled with the camera and i actually need to do things in post, but i just fine little tweaks can make such a big difference.

here are 3 images i posted the other day followed by an edit i made during the sox game tonight (victorino just hit the grand slammer!). i feel the new image is superior in each instance, but i'm curious to see what folks think.

eared grebe previously posted

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    700mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

same eared grebe with slider moved towards blue/cold a bit, slightly tighter crop

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    700mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

pacific slope flycatcher previously posted

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    700mm    f/5.6    1/500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

same flycatcher with slider moved towards yellow/warm and a bit more light added, eye retouched

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    700mm    f/5.6    1/500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

whimbrel previously posted

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    500mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 03:47 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 03:43 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #2 · little edits, big differences

last one

crop tightened ever so slightly, slider moved form green to red a bit to show pink hue from sunset better, a bit more light added

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    500mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 20, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Julian Nell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · little edits, big differences

Great images, Dorian. I always have fun coming back to images and changing things that I didn't see the first time.

Julian

Oct 20, 2013 at 03:59 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · little edits, big differences

Welcome to the retouch club....I go back to images I took in 2004 and redo them with better software and better technique. And yes, photographers these days must also be good post processors regardless of how good we get the image in the camera and btw things always look better with a 5-2 lead in the 8th inner don't they!?
Eric

Oct 20, 2013 at 04:36 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · little edits, big differences

Great job here Dorian. Super originals and superb re-do's
David

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:39 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · little edits, big differences

They were wonderful the first time, but your reworks look fantastic. Love how your adding some light really makes the subjects "pop"

Birdie

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · little edits, big differences

I do agree that your re-works look better, you did a magnificent job on them Dorian and in my mind the Whimbrel really stands out as an excellent shot.

That said getting it all right in the camera is KEY to NOT having to spend time editing files. For example; 2 & 3 you upped the exposure on them. If you did that in the camera chances are the WB would have been correct coming out of the camera. If that was the case just minor tweaks would bring out the best in the shots. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with editing, I just try to avoid to it! I'm not a big fan of fixing shots, I would rather just tune them

Tim

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · little edits, big differences

I agree that the retouch on the flycatcher and the whimbrel have improved them. IMHO, I actually prefer the original look of the grebe shot to the repost. I find the water too blue in the repost and you can't see as much of the darker feather detail because the black level has changed. But everyone has their own preferences and I personally tend to like less contrast than most do so that is why I like the original grebe better.

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · little edits, big differences

I am going to disagree on re-works........of course that can be expected

#1a vs 1b..........for me 1a is a better representation of the colors from the warmer light. 1b is picking up magenta on the the rear area where it is lighter IMO and just seems to contradict the actual light a bit.

#2a vs 2b...............I could be wrong because I don't know this bird by sight but I was thinking the first shot nicely portrayed a somewhat Olive/yellow mix and in a very detailed way showing some subtle hue changes. There are some nice overall slightly silver like feather tips too that look natural to me. 2b for me has too much yellow-push overall. As a thought, selecting the bird only in 2a and using a soft touch of Vibrance (not Saturation) may have worked well.

#3a vs 3b............I'm good with this improvement

Karl

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:35 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · little edits, big differences

The edits of the last 2 are good improvements, I wish I could say that for the first which I feel is super the first way. So you have 3 great images in all

Morris

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dorian
• • • •
p.1 #11 · little edits, big differences

it is so interesting to see what everyone likes in a shot. all of these responses represent well thought out and perceptive critiques of my images - this is exact what i wanted. it really shows that there is no best way to do something; personal preference seems to dominate how at least i do things. thanks for stopping in and checking these out. it also shows how easy it is to nit pick when you've got two images side by side to compare. i thought my originals were fine until i put the reworked images next to them! at the end of the date who really knows?!?!??!

cheers

dorian

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · little edits, big differences

Hi Dorian,

I like the originals on the first two and the redo of the third. I am in agreement that the first has a slight cast on the side flank but still is a fine job. I am wondering if #2 was taken back to the original light level if the detail and depth could still be retained. Love the shot BTW. Last one kicks butt!

Well done and great exercise. There are a lot of people thinking I am sure and refining their efforts because of you!

Brian

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · little edits, big differences

#3 great redo, #2 I like but I think the original crop is better, #1 was overdone! Don

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · little edits, big differences

Great work, Dorian. For sure your new work flow has a big impact to make those birds even more beautiful.

- Tam

Oct 21, 2013 at 03:19 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · little edits, big differences

arbitrage wrote:
I agree that the retouch on the flycatcher and the whimbrel have improved them. IMHO, I actually prefer the original look of the grebe shot to the repost. I find the water too blue in the repost and you can't see as much of the darker feather detail because the black level has changed. But everyone has their own preferences and I personally tend to like less contrast than most do so that is why I like the original grebe better.

+1

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:07 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · little edits, big differences

The originals are very nice Dorian, but My picks are 1A, 2B, and 3B ~ Ron

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · little edits, big differences

You are absolutely right about the importance of PP Dorian. That is one of the most important things I've learnt from this forum. Once I started PP'ing with the output format and size in mind I feel my images improved a lot.

As to your three examples, they were all fine images as originally presented and whilst your changes certainly make them different I'm not sure if they are necessarily better - fine margins here I think.

Paul.

Oct 21, 2013 at 06:41 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #18 · little edits, big differences

I think Ron was right. 1a was better. The other edits were better.

Paul is also right. Doing pp, particularly sharpening, is totally different depending upon the media. These tiny low resolution images look much different if printed or at greater resolution. Regardless pp is important

Oct 21, 2013 at 07:22 PM
brimull
• • •
p.1 #19 · little edits, big differences

Very fine images--all three--but don't sell your originals short. I prefer the original number one. Number two shows improvement in the larger presentation that shows off the fine feather detail, but the color seems a bit overwhelming on my monitor, while the original looks more natural. The lightened more contrasty revised number 3 is a bit of an improvement, but the softer-looking first version still looks pretty good to me.

As others have mentioned, monitors can have significant or subtle differences, even when calibrated.

Brian M.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:16 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · little edits, big differences

Nice images Dorian (as I said in your earlier posts). 1A & 3A for me. 3B looks lovley, but like Karl, I don't know the bird but I assume both are good representations. Time of day, quality of light, reflected light from surrounding objects, all make a huge difference in coloring. For me, trying to adjust for subtle improvements is a real challenge for those reasons and more. I'll go out on a limb and say what looks best in a photo to many/most people may not actually truly reflect reality, but is close enough to nit pick over.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password