New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sony A9?

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A9?

Now that we have the E-Mount A7's and, logically, the next A-Mount professional camera might have a single digit name (A900 to A99 to A9?), will the Sony A9 indeed turn out to be a larger, full featured A-Mount professional body with in-body IS and so forth OR will Sony attempt to avert confusion and reserve the A9 as a professional E-Mount body? Just curious what others think an "A9" will be.

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:38 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A9?

I think this might be the hybrid (A and E in one) that Andrea has been talking about.

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A9?

hiepphotog wrote:
I think this might be the hybrid (A and E in one) that Andrea has been talking about.

That would certainly solve a lot of marketing problems being both A and E-Mount.

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:59 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A9?

It cannot be very light as those ZAs are heavy and easily unbalanced. I expect a full tilt challenge to C/N, whatever it takes for top end AF/FPS and sensor performance. Better EVF. A more serious a99, with no mirror? Best sensor they can make.

They will surely make a E mount a7r in DLSR shape, bigger battery, stronger body, extra 100-150 grams.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A9?

It's going to be an A99 without the SLT mirror and a 50+ mp sensor.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A9?

philip_pj wrote:
It cannot be very light as those ZAs are heavy and easily unbalanced. I expect a full tilt challenge to C/N, whatever it takes for top end AF/FPS and sensor performance. Better EVF. A more serious a99, with no mirror? Best sensor they can make.

They will surely make a E mount a7r in DLSR shape, bigger battery, stronger body, extra 100-150 grams.

I guess if they do away with the translucent mirror, one question might be whether Sony is able to maintain and/or improve upon a99 AF performance. Doing so would pretty much require a huge leap beyond what has been possible thus far with on sensor PDAF. If they do go with some sort of Hybrid A/E mount, I would think getting rid of the mirror would be a necessity for use of the camera in E-Mount configuration.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A9?

edwardkaraa wrote:
It's going to be an A99 without the SLT mirror and a 50+ mp sensor.

Hmm, that sounds too specific to be a guess, Edward.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A9?

freaklikeme wrote:
Hmm, that sounds too specific to be a guess, Edward.

Indeed, not my guess, but a rumor I heard a few months ago. Not necessarily true

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A9?

edwardkaraa wrote:
Indeed, not my guess, but a rumor I heard a few months ago. Not necessarily true

You seem to have good sources.

Personally, I'm feeling that I've purchased my last purely Alpha mount camera with the a99. I'm not even sure how long I'll hang on to that if the a7r works out like I think it will.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A9?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I guess if they do away with the translucent mirror, one question might be whether Sony is able to maintain and/or improve upon a99 AF performance. Doing so would pretty much require a huge leap beyond what has been possible thus far with on sensor PDAF. If they do go with some sort of Hybrid A/E mount, I would think getting rid of the mirror would be a necessity for use of the camera in E-Mount configuration.

What would be a hybrid A/E mount? Wouldn't it need to be E mount with an adaptor for A mount?

Agree that without some huge leap in technology, they need a mirror for really fast AF.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A9?

jctriguy wrote:
What would be a hybrid A/E mount? Wouldn't it need to be E mount with an adaptor for A mount?

Agree that without some huge leap in technology, they need a mirror for really fast AF.

The rumor a while back was that Sony was working on a Hybrid mount which was somehow built into the camera and not a separate adapter. How that would be implemented, I do not know.

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:07 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A9?

I could be wrong, but I do not think that we will see 50P sensors till 2015. My guess is that 36 or 40MP sensors will be the highest resolution sensors for 2014.

My quandary and question is (and depending upon testing with the WA M lenses on an A7r) do I go forward with the purchase of my Pre-ordered A7r or wait for the bigger, more advanced, heavier, and more expensive E-mount camera that will have IBIS which would probably be in an A8 or A9 series E-mount camera. Tough decision.

Rich

Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A9?

naturephoto1 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I do not think that we will see 50P sensors till 2015. My guess is that 36 or 40MP sensors will be the highest resolution sensors for 2014.

Rich

Don't take my post seriously, Rich. This is something I heard from someone at Sony but it is not necessarily true.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A9?

naturephoto1 wrote:

My quandary and question is (and depending upon testing with the WA M lenses on an A7r) do I go forward with the purchase of my Pre-ordered A7r or wait for the bigger, more advanced, heavier, and more expensive E-mount camera that will have IBIS which would probably be in an A8 or A9 series E-mount camera. Tough decision.

Rich

I think it's doubtful that any camera coming next year from Sony will do better with WA M lenses than the A7r, particularly if it's higher MP's. It seems pretty clear by Sony's marketing that they intended the A7r to be the most versatile E-Mount (with regard to lens adaptability) they could conjure up right now. I think it would require another leap for them to get better, which I don't expect has happened with a camera that is almost surely close to finished. This is particularly likely true when one considers that if the larger camera is to play nice with those very long A-Mount lenses, it will not be remotely optimized for shorter WA M lenses.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A9?

Hahahaha

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.