Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Questions regarding RX1 vs RX1r.....

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Questions regarding RX1 vs RX1r.....

rattymouse wrote:
I suspect that the RX1 is being sold along side the RX1r simply due to available supply. My guess is that manufacturing has stopped on the RX1 and that sometime in the near future, supply will dwindle down to nothing. The appearance that both are available at the same time helps support pricing. If the RX1 were labeled discontinued, pricing would fall dramatically.

It's not uncommon at all for manufacturers to make available two versions of the same model, particularly when it comes to one version that has an AA filter and one that does not. Examples are everywhere...and none of these are replacements for the other:

Nikon D800 vs D800E
Pentax K5II vs K5IIs
and obviously RX1 vs RX1r

Also consider the A7 and A7r. Different sensors but one with AA one without...and both available simultaneously. The model name usage here suggests the RX1r is not an RX1 replacement.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:06 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Questions regarding RX1 vs RX1r.....

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It's not uncommon at all for manufacturers to make available two versions of the same model, particularly when it comes to one version that has an AA filter and one that does not. Examples are everywhere...and none of these are replacements for the other:

Nikon D800 vs D800E
Pentax K5II vs K5IIs
and obviously RX1 vs RX1r

Also consider the A7 and A7r. Different sensors but one with AA one without...and both available simultaneously. The model name usage here suggests the RX1r is not an RX1 replacement.

Yes, I am aware of those other cameras that exist side by side, but since the RX1r has appeared much later then the RX1 it feels far more like a replacement camera. Just like the Fuji X100 and X100S.

We shall see going forward.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:27 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Questions regarding RX1 vs RX1r.....

rattymouse wrote:
Yes, I am aware of those other cameras that exist side by side, but since the RX1r has appeared much later then the RX1 it feels far more like a replacement camera. Just like the Fuji X100 and X100S.

We shall see going forward.

X100 vs X100s resulted in quite a number of changes though, not only the sensor, but also the EVF, the design and location of various switches etc. There may be some shared parts used, but by and by its a new camera design, and unless I'm mistaken, Fuji is no longer producing the old X100

The RX1 vs R model on the other hand both appear to be still in product, and aside from the lack of AA filter, the overall body, buttons etc all seem identical.

Hard to know for certain but it seems like they probably are rolling off the same assembly line up to the point where the sensor sub-assembly goes into them.

I'd still buy an R if I was going to buy either brand new today, but I don't think other than the AA filter removal your getting an "improved" camera.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.