Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Sumatra part II

bladesofgrass
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sumatra part II

Leucagene spider with prey NL:

Biting beauty:

Red legged mite at 5X:

Bipalium flatworm showing sensory fringed lip:

Yellow Scutigera a first for me:

Backlit katydid:

On location:
(Technically in Java I'll upload from Gunung Kerinci later)

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

Oct 19, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sumatra part II

Nice series.. up-close to super wide angle.

Oct 19, 2013 at 05:22 PM
12monkeys
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Sumatra part II

This isn't supposed to be a back-handed compliment but I do like your landscapes

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:35 PM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #4 · Sumatra part II

Thanks Jonathan and 12monkeys!

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Fizzog
• • •
p.1 #5 · Sumatra part II

Great set of photos, enjoyed them all. The back lit shot particularly noteworthy.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:51 AM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sumatra part II

v.nice esp like nos 3 and 7

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sumatra part II

very nice Paul

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:37 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #8 · Sumatra part II

Thanks kmunroe, michael and fizzog, very appreicated!

Oct 29, 2013 at 04:02 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Sumatra part II

Hi Paul. You photos have surely improved over time, especially the lighting - most important - some time now.

How about telling us what you are up to. An entomology student or teacher cataloging as much as possible, an interested amateur shooting the amazing breeze? I'm sure you have done in the distant past but do remind us? M

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:20 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Sumatra part II

Paul, these are wonderful. I do love them all, but the last one is amazing.

Birdie

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:42 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #11 · Sumatra part II

Thanks Mark, very kind words coming from someone whose photography long inspired me to improve and invest in my technique. I'm heading back into the jungle in an hour so not much time to respond but I'll copy a brief bio from my blog with the only real update that I occasionally freelance for a magazine or 2 (Photolife Canada):

My background is in Cell biology and genetics. I thoroughly enjoy microbiology and the study of tropical diseases. Though having first traveled to the Peruvian Amazon in 2004, I was bitten by the bugs. And since I’ve been traveling off and on to whatever rainforests I can reach, the more pristine and untouched the better. Being surrounded by the natural biota has led to me to diversify my interests into zoology, rainforest ecology, and the interesting yet challenging disciplines of tropical systematics and taxonomy. Only recently have I gotten into macrophotography, but I find it immensely satisfying and hope to continue traveling and photographing for many years yet, since each new discovery fuels the existing passion.
I have been asked many times how I fund my seemingly endless travels. The short answer is by treeplanting during the summers, and picking up odd jobs like fruit picking wherever I can. However the more accurate response is that I could do any kind of job and travel the way I do, since I travel extremely cheaply and independently. After an initial outlay of costs for camping gear and camera equipment, subsequent trip costs have plummeted so that I can comfortably live a month in the jungle in my hammock for $100, just the amount required for groceries and travel. All that is required is the will to step out of our fixed notions of what we can and can’t do. The moment we let other people’s notions of what we are capable of determine our own actions is the moment that we have ceased living for ourselves and are governed by the standards of others. My lifestyle provokes a variety of responses from people, from the person who thinks it a lofty goal and says “Oh, if only…”, to the somewhat derisive “yes but what kind of a life is that…when will you grow up and settle down…”. For me simply this is what I enjoy, and if I enjoy it, I will keep on doing it…some decisions in life are just…simple.
Others are more complex. Like partway through my travels in Borneo I developed a list of worrying symptoms like a temporary blindness that was complete, yet resolved itself within 5 minutes or so. Upon my return to Canada I was diagnosed with stage III testicular cancer that had metastasized to my lungs and spine. With such concerns it is easy to question one’s life and goals, etc… However, after undergoing a regimen of chemotherapy and surgeries I am again traveling, trying to put those hard months of recovery behind me and enjoying with renewed enthusiasm what the natural world has to offer. Traveling to rainforests all over the world is my goal and passion with no desire to stop in the immediate future.

Thanks Birdie!

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:06 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Sumatra part II

Sounds like a great life. And doing what you love can only bring what you truly need, not always what you want - but that's ok.

Slainte.

Oct 30, 2013 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password