Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

I'm juggling my lens line-up trying to find one I'm happy with and sold off my Sigma 120-300, Zeiss 35/2 (though I absolutely love the output I was having a tough time getting enough keepers with my dodgy eyes) and Nikon 85/1.8g (AF is downright awful for anything fast paced in low light - a boxing bout was where I nearly binned it then and there) !

I'd settled on Zeiss 21,Sigma 35,Sigma 50,Sigma 85 and then either the Sigma 150/2.8 macro or the Nikon 135/2 DC. I bought the Sigma 35/1.4 today to replace the Zeiss and then tried out the 150 and 135 to almost complete my new line-up. The Sigma had noticeably faster AF and the benefit of having macro too, but the 3D and bokeh of the 135/2 knocked my socks off (don't like the PF though I am assuming that is easy to remove by use of an import pre-set in LR), and it is f2 and I do so love low DoF !

For those that have, or have used, this lens (or indeed the 105 DC) can you please give me any tips you may have gleaned whilst using the DC (or as it should be called 'Bokeh Control') to set me on the right path ? Thanks in advance !

Oct 19, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

I have both the 105 and 135 and usually leave the DC controls on the Neutral setting, but sometimes will play with them, depending on what is desired. Seems to me that properly using the DC controls will give rather subtle changes, but their use can also be rather dramatic, even overly so. Too much info to put here, even if I could write a completely lucid piece on their use.

There are several articles on the web that deal with both DC lenses, in depth. I can't offer any links, but I know that they can be found with a couple of google searches. When I know that I have a shoot where I can use these lenses and will have time to play, I seek out those articles for a refresher course.

I love the DC lenses, precisely for the reasons you mention, but they seem to have a love/hate relationship with many users. Lots of folks just don't want to mess with them. Personally, I love the output and that's all that's important to me.

BTW, I also have the Sigma 150 and have never chosen to use it for portraits over the 135 DC. It's a fine lens, but it doesn't draw the image like the DC's can.

good luck, sorry that I can't be more precise.
Kerry

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

^ and as you'll soon find out....none of the aforementioned can touch the 200 f2 NONE

@ frogster...there was a post from a German guy that mirrored my take on the 135 f2 DC
I used to shoot f2 w/ -1 DC 24/7/365. I'll try and find it Please don't hold yo breath,
it's a weekend and we're into the 2nd growler

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

Kerry - thanks very much for the reply. I'll do some more Googling (I had done some but not found anything conclusive with regard to F or R adjustments) and try to find those articles. Of course I can do my own testing now

Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

Thanks Will. Unfortunately a 200/2 is beyond my reach (the 600/4 comes next when the finance minister coalesces) !

I'll be giving your -1 a go, if its good enough for you then it's definitely good enough for me !

Cheers
Kevin

Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

These were a couple of the shots I took on the street in the 15 mins they gave me to try it out.

Basic 2 second LR processing to remove PF. Minor sharpening and NR applied. This is one amazing lens that I'm stunned to have not heard mentioned more often on FM.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
paulesko
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

IŽve always liked the looks of this lens, the way it renders is soft but punchy at the same time. IŽll follow this thread so please post more pics!

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM
rolubich
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

paulesko wrote:
IŽve always liked the looks of this lens, the way it renders is soft but punchy at the same time. IŽll follow this thread so please post more pics!

This is at f/2, DC set to neutral, D600

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5544/10387244083_ff82ac40cc_o.jpg

Should you be interested in the sharpness wide open, I link the high resolution version too.

High Res

Sharp enough in my opinion, and the bokeh is nice with the neutral position too.

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ and as you'll soon find out....none of the aforementioned can touch the 200 f2 NONE

Well, that is to be expected, I think. You can buy both the 105 and 135 DC lenses, brand new, for a lot less ($1000 US less, actually at Amazon today) than I just paid for a 300 year old 200 f/2 vr1.

Doesn't mean that they don't do lovely photos. Probably means that they aren't nearly as sharp wide open, don't have AF-S or VR or nanocoating, etc...

@Frogfish hmm, okay, lemme do some searches and see if I can find the pages that I remember and I'll give them to you if I do find them.

Kerry

Oct 20, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

I quit putting stuff on the web several years ago, so I don't have many samples that I can display. Here are 3, from the 105 DC that I know of, taken 6 years ago on a Nikon d200, that don't really show a great deal about bokeh, so you guys may not like them.

The first 2 are the 105 DC at f/2, unknown DC settings, but probably neutral.

http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/image/83535030.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/image/83535027.jpg

This one is the 105 at f/2.8, unknown DC settings.

http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/image/83535026.jpg

Kerry

Oct 20, 2013 at 04:42 PM
screwdriver
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

the 105 and 135 dc lenses are nice if u can get a good focusing copy . I had a 105 dc that was spot on and it was excellent . I also owned a 135 dc that I cant get to focus right .

wide open though u can get a lot of CA so just be aware how u shoot .

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:06 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

The 200/2 is a great lens, but it's also about 2.5 times the size of the 135 2.0 DC, and will also give subjects a lot more "fear factor" when it comes to shooting them, as far as portrait goes.

The 105 or the 135 are both fairly compact, and offer the added benefit of taking standard 72mm filters or your 77mm with a adapter ring.

I like playing with the DC controls for landscapes. For portrait, I guess you better know what you are doing. Same can be done with a lot of software now, or using aperture to your advantage I guess. But it's still one more useful tool for the photographer.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

screwdriver wrote:
the 105 and 135 dc lenses are nice if u can get a good focusing copy . I had a 105 dc that was spot on and it was excellent . I also owned a 135 dc that I cant get to focus right .

True. However just 2-5 secs (or indeed set up an import pre-set) and it's gone. Simples. It's an older lens and doesn't have Nikon's latest coatings (never mind the Nano !) so it's to be expected. Doesn't bother me at all now I know it's really a non-issue.

Kerry - I think that forst shot especially shows the strengths of this lens, lovely rendering, sharp where it needs to be sharp but doesn't pull out every spot and pimple !

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM
scubacrazy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

The other consideration with both the DC lenses is the way they have been designed, optically, to render skin tones so beautifully. These lenses focus the red wavelengths slightly away from the rest of the spectrum to do this. (So say Nikon)
As far as using the DC controls: only set the dc control to the aperture you have set for the shot. Rear dc softens the background whereas front softens in front of focus point. If you set it for higher than the aperture it will give a " soft focus" effect.
I have the 135 and wouldn't part with it. Ever.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:24 PM
scubacrazy
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

The other consideration with both the DC lenses is the way they have been designed, optically, to render skin tones so beautifully. These lenses focus the red wavelengths slightly away from the rest of the spectrum to do this. (So say Nikon)
As far as using the DC controls: only set the dc control to the aperture you have set for the shot. Rear dc softens the background whereas front softens in front of focus point. If you set it for higher than the aperture it will give a " soft focus" effect.
I have the 135 and wouldn't part with it. Ever.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

screwdriver wrote:

Frogfish wrote:
True. However just 2-5 secs (or indeed set up an import pre-set) and it's gone. Simples. It's an older lens and doesn't have Nikon's latest coatings (never mind the Nano !) so it's to be expected. Doesn't bother me at all now I know it's really a non-issue.

Kerry - I think that forst shot especially shows the strengths of this lens, lovely rendering, sharp where it needs to be sharp but doesn't pull out every spot and pimple !

Yes, I agree, Frogfish. I just love the rendering of these lenses and use them whenever possible. These shots are 6 or 7 years old and are straight OOTC, IIRC. They would look much better if I had taken the time to do some appropriate processing on them, but they were just proofs for the client and her mom to view on the web.

This weekend, I am trying to set up a shoot with some locals and do a shootout between the DC lenses and the 200 f/2 and 85 f/1.4d. If I can get that accomplished and the girls don't care if their photos are on the web, I'll post some more samples.

I haven't had time to look for the links that I mentioned on using DC lenses. Things have been hectic and I don't handle hectic as well as I used to. But, I haven't forgotten and will find them and post the links as soon as I can.

Kerry

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:41 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tips for using 135/2 DC ?

+1 200mm F2.0. The results of this lens (use it wide open) cannot be described by specifications. As for intimidating size you are a bit farther away but then it's your relationship with your subject that's paramount. At least they assume you are serious/qualified.

I often drift around and shoot candids handheld. when they see the pictures they are suprised because, although they knew I was working the room they often didn't know I was shooting them.

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.