Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

Working on Backgrounds Part Due

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

michael kilner wrote:
It would also let in a lot more ambient, which if you wished it to, would lighten your backgrounds.

Yup. Shutter speed only impacts the ambient exposure (provided you stay at or below the max flash sync speed for your camera). My point was that changing the flash duration would not change the quality of the light that the flash is producing (specular highlights will be the same, for example).

michael kilner wrote:
Also in shot 2 your use of a reflective background has resulted in blue spill on the bees eye

Yup, under the critter's left eye (in the shadow area). One of the hazards of using a background that's close to the subject (you're actually the first person to notice and say something about it). Sometimes it works to my advantage though, adding some color to an image that ordinarily wouldn't have much color in it. Here I'm getting a reflection from the purple flower that's under the bee:

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
rocco61
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

Love both shots!!

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:08 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

Dalantech wrote:
I've also noticed that when creating artificial backgrounds that smooth backgrounds do not look as good as ones that have some color or texture variation (especially if the background is not blue). The brain sort of expects vegetation to keep the background from looking smooth.

John,

As I'm sure you realise, this is not specific to artificial backgrounds or to macro. For example, large areas of plain blue sky may have artifacts in the final image. This is a problem specific to digital sensors.

Harold

Oct 21, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

Thanks Rocco

e6filmuser wrote:
John,

As I'm sure you realise, this is not specific to artificial backgrounds or to macro. For example, large areas of plain blue sky may have artifacts in the final image. This is a problem specific to digital sensors.

Harold

Agreed, but that's not what I was referring to. I'll try to say it another way: It's easier for me to fool you into believing an artificial background is natural if the background has some variation in the color. The exception is the color blue -your brain can accept a clear blue sky, so I can fool you with a background that's a solid blue (unless you live in the UK -also known as the land of perpetual overcast skies ).

Oct 21, 2013 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

Dalantech wrote:
Thanks Rocco

Agreed, but that's not what I was referring to. I'll try to say it another way: It's easier for me to fool you into believing an artificial background is natural if the background has some variation in the color. The exception is the color blue -your brain can accept a clear blue sky, so I can fool you with a background that's a solid blue (unless you live in the UK -also known as the land of perpetual overcast skies ).

Thanks, I had misunderstood your point.

Harold

Oct 21, 2013 at 06:03 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

12monkeys wrote:
This is what I find so hard with you: when I agree with you, I somehow find myself disagreeing and when I disagree, I kind of agree.

I think this is because your principles are sound but you apply them a little wonkily. I noticed in some of your discussions with Jack and your historical arguments with Brian that you tend to flip-flop, and it's very difficult to argue with you.

If I comment, it's because I think you're worth bothering with (one or two others can just wallow in their shitness).

On the contrary, I find John to be most consistent in principle and practise, which may (I accept) or may not be as much to do with how little I know relative to how much he does - in my experience.

Your last line is a curious one, denoting both arrogance and bitterness, an odd place to be commenting from at all, and expecting to be taken seriously. As I see it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:16 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Working on Backgrounds Part Due

On backgrounds; I still prefer natural colours from the garden which limits the possibilities as I don't use any means of slowing them other than a little sugar/honey on occasion, so I wait for the opportunity to move a creature to the BG I want to experiment with - a fleeting and unrepeatable experience, I know.

Not too bad I trust :

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password