1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

f.hayek wrote:
Anyone here use the Novoflex adapters? I have been told that their precision is greater, but I imagine there might be some hype to it justifying the premium price.

I have used the Novoflex adapter for my Leica R to Fujifilm X-E1. I use it with the Novoflex rotating collar for the Fujifilm X mount for the appropriate lenses as well. I have been quite pleases with the performance along with the rigidity, and the locking to both the lenses and to the camera. To the best of my knowledge I have been getting infinity with my all or almost all of my R lenses that do not focus past infinity.

I have also purchased the Novoflex Leica R to NEX adapter for using my R lenses on the A7r. I will be also adding the NEX rotating collar for using the larger and heavier lenses that lack a rotating collar close to the time that my camera will ship.

Rich

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:42 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

naturephoto1 wrote:
Novoflex offers a Contax to NEX adapter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737839-REG/Novoflex_NEX_CONT_Adapter_for_Contax_Yashica_Lens.html

It should work with this Novoflex rotating collar:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758213-REG/novoflex_astat_nex_tripod_collar_for.html

Rich

Thanks - I did see that. 350 dollars for a lens adapter with collar seems excessive.

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:59 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

dbehrens wrote:
Thanks - I did see that. 350 dollars for a lens adapter with collar seems excessive.

Possibly, but look at the cost of some of the lenses that will be mounted to the camera. If you are mounting to the A7r camera, that is a $2300 camera. Add to that the cost of the lens as with some of my Leica R lenses like the 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar, the 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt, or the 100mm f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit, I think it is worth protecting the investment. Additionally I expect the Novoflex adapters to last longer with many more times of mounting and removing the adapter and the lenses from the camera body,

Rich

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:14 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

There are other factors in the equation. First is many users have many lenses from the same family, so one adapter of high quality makes economic sense for them. Second, good adapters are a sound bet as there are few moving parts to wear, therefore they will be easily bought and sold with relative confidence. Third, precision really counts, both with adapters (see the Roger Cicala article at lensrental on dramatic frame edge fall-off) and with bodies (from Lloyd Chambers et al) - pointing to Nikon's mount to sensor parallelism.

So it makes good sense to use a high end part at this critical point of the system, and in fact adapters of sufficient quality may do better with sensor-mount-optical path alignment than a traditional tripod mount supporting say, a D800e plus a 70-200/2.8 zoom - a total payload of around 2 kgs on just that small attachment point at the bottom of the body, which really loads the mount.

An adapter hangs both the lens and the body from either end of a small structure with plenty of torsional resistance and stiffness in its diminutive body. Both lens and body are going to be able to easily handle that kind of load at that point in their design. Less loading on the tripod head also, for the same reason - fore-aft load balance.

Sony, who manufacture the RX1 lens-sensor dimensions to micron tolerances, knew all this was coming to the a7r and gave it a strong gussetted magnesium frame to bolster the mount area. And two hopefully good adapters of their own based on NEX experiences, in full knowledge of the demands of the 36Mp sensor, the large weight and size of the ZAs and stress from long lenses, and of course the attention to detail of demanding users who tend to notice all this.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:49 PM
artur5
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

The best solution for E mount to Leica R lenses is not an adapter but a Leitax conversion. That is, unless you intend to keep using the lens on a Leica-R film body.

Edited on Nov 14, 2013 at 04:18 AM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:29 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

artur5 wrote:
The best solution for E mount to Leica R lenses is not an adapter but a Leitax conversion. That is, unless you don't intend to keep using the lens on a Leica-R film body.

Artur,

We have gone round and round regarding this at least in my case. I already have 16 Leica R lenses. Besides wanting to have the possibility of using these lenses on my Leica R cameras, I also use these lenses on other camera systems and then there is the cost of converting all of these and quite possibly even more via Leitax mounts. Additionally, if I used the Leitax option it would cause problems with using the Leica lenses with the 1.4X and 2X Apo Extenders, Macro Adapter R, Leica Extension ring sets, and Leica R Bellows.

Rich

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:45 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

naturephoto1 wrote:
Artur,

We have gone round and round regarding this at least in my case. I already have 16 Leica R lenses. Besides wanting to have the possibility of using these lenses on my Leica R cameras, I also use these lenses on other camera systems and then there is the cost of converting all of these and quite possibly even more via Leitax mounts. Additionally, if I used the Leitax option it would cause problems with using the Leica lenses with the 1.4X and 2X Apo Extenders, Macro Adapter R, Leica Extension ring sets, and Leica R Bellows.

Rich

Exactly!

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:46 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

naturephoto1 wrote:
Artur,

Rich

+1

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:04 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

dbehrens wrote:

At least you only have to buy the collar once. It will work with all of their adapters. And it is a vast improvement over the built-in tripod feet on the less expensive adapters.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:21 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

freaklikeme wrote:
At least you only have to buy the collar once. It will work with all of their adapters. And it is a vast improvement over the built-in tripod feet on the less expensive adapters.

The Novoflex rotating lens collar I believe only will work with the Novoflex NEX adapters. In the case of the Novoflex lens collar for the Novoflex adapter for M4/3 system also works with the Novoflex adapter for Fujifilm X system.

Rich

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:28 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

freaklikeme wrote:

Thanks again for all the comments. More to digest. I had not written Novoflex off but I had narrowed the list down to 3 - the Rayqual (Cameraquest) with tripod foot, the upcoming Metabones with tripod foot and the Novoflex system. I see all three contenders as distributing much of the weight on the adaptor itself and not on the camera body.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience with either the Rayqual or Cameraquest adaptors with a tripod foot on heavier 800-1000g lens. Like others who have already expressed their opinions I am not interested in placing that kind of weight solely on the A7R body (even though I have routinely done this with Canon SLR's with no problem).
Dave

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:00 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

dbehrens wrote:
Thanks again for all the comments. More to digest. I had not written Novoflex off but I had narrowed the list down to 3 - the Rayqual (Cameraquest) with tripod foot, the upcoming Metabones with tripod foot and the Novoflex system. I see all three contenders as distributing much of the weight on the adaptor itself and not on the camera body.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience with either the Rayqual or Cameraquest adaptors with a tripod foot on heavier 800-1000g lens. Like others who have already expressed their opinions I am not interested in placing that
...Show more

Have you looked at the tripod foot on that Rayqual? I would not call that is a good design. My Contax to E Rayqual got the infinity spot on, but if you're going for one with the tripod foot, I would look at the Novoflex or Metabones. Personally, I would go with Metabones since they seem to pay more attention to the adapter flatness and to getting the exact thickness than Novoflex. I probably put up my Novoflex up for sale soon because of this very reason.

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:11 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

hiepphotog wrote:
Have you looked at the tripod foot on that Rayqual? I would not call that is a good design. My Contax to E Rayqual got the infinity spot on, but if you're going for one with the tripod foot, I would look at the Novoflex or Metabones. Personally, I would go with Metabones since they seem to pay more attention to the adapter flatness and to getting the exact thickness than Novoflex. I probably put up my Novoflex up for sale soon because of this very reason.

Interesting - and thanks for your comments! My biggest question with these tripod feet coming straight off the adapter is are they really tall enough - as a typical tripod collar has its foot well below the lens barrel.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:51 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

dbehrens wrote:
Interesting - and thanks for your comments! My biggest question with these tripod feet coming straight off the adapter is are they really tall enough - as a typical tripod collar has its foot well below the lens barrel.

You are still limited to using the camera in a horizontal orientation without turning the camera on its side on the tripod head. That will put much more stress on the set-up than working with a tripod collar. Additionally you will have a much greater composition displacement when you turn the camera on its side on the tripod head than by rotating the camera and lens around the rotating collar.

Rich

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:59 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Yes - good point.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Not compared to the wasted photos or the cost of repairing any lens worthy of the system.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

dbehrens wrote:

Beside the point of rotating collar, I would say they're tall enough for all of the non-collar lenses. I have used the Zeiss 35/1.4 and Olympus 90/2 with telescopic macro tube (among the biggest non-collar lenses) without any problem on my NEX-7. Shorter foot is actually better since you have less torque.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:33 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

This was probably already mentioned on FM, but Voigtländer discontinued their VM-E and F-E adapters (compatibility issues with Sony A7/R?) and announced a new VM-E mk. II adapter to be release in April, 2014. Interestingly, Voigtländer mentions compatibility of VM-E II with Zeiss ZM lenses including even a number of wide angles.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Cosina-Exhibits-Voigtlander-NOKTON-25mm-F0-95-Type-II-Lens-at-CP-2014-426888-4.jpg

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:10 AM
tennclay
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

JaKo wrote:
This was probably already mentioned on FM, but Voigtländer discontinued their VM-E and F-E adapters (compatibility issues with Sony A7/R?) and announced a new VM-E mk. II adapter to be release in April, 2014. Interestingly, Voigtländer mentions compatibility of VM-E II with Zeiss ZM lenses including even a number of wide angles.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Cosina-Exhibits-Voigtlander-NOKTON-25mm-F0-95-Type-II-Lens-at-CP-2014-426888-4.jpg

I hadn't seen that, but since I bought one if these overpriced adapters in November I knew it didn't work. So far I have found that only one adapter seems to work out of 4 different mounts.

- the CV M adapter blacks out the corners on some lenses as stated
- Metabones Leica R adapter is designed let let light freely flow in from the lens release
- the Fotodiox C/y adapter is design to allow light in through a large arc they did bother to cover over the lens release mechanism
- the Fotodiox OM adapter actually seems to work and is light tight - I am surprised it hasn't been recalled

These things are crap, I used to adapt lenses to a 5d years ago and never had this kind of problem. I have a Novoflex for the R Lenses coming today, so that may be the direction I go for all of them from now on.

Mar 28, 2014 at 02:08 AM
systema
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

I have a Viltrox EF to E-Mount on the way, the updated 2014 version ($129.99 on the bay). Even though the King brand has more extensive testing according to the seller, I've had previous positive experience with the EOS-M to EF adapter by Viltrox. After some testing I will report.

Mar 28, 2014 at 02:15 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.