Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
  

Archive 2013 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters
  
 
naturephoto1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


f.hayek wrote:
Anyone here use the Novoflex adapters? I have been told that their precision is greater, but I imagine there might be some hype to it justifying the premium price.


I have used the Novoflex adapter for my Leica R to Fujifilm X-E1. I use it with the Novoflex rotating collar for the Fujifilm X mount for the appropriate lenses as well. I have been quite pleases with the performance along with the rigidity, and the locking to both the lenses and to the camera. To the best of my knowledge I have been getting infinity with my all or almost all of my R lenses that do not focus past infinity.

I have also purchased the Novoflex Leica R to NEX adapter for using my R lenses on the A7r. I will be also adding the NEX rotating collar for using the larger and heavier lenses that lack a rotating collar close to the time that my camera will ship.

Rich



Nov 13, 2013 at 07:42 PM
dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


naturephoto1 wrote:
Novoflex offers a Contax to NEX adapter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737839-REG/Novoflex_NEX_CONT_Adapter_for_Contax_Yashica_Lens.html

It should work with this Novoflex rotating collar:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758213-REG/novoflex_astat_nex_tripod_collar_for.html

Rich


Thanks - I did see that. 350 dollars for a lens adapter with collar seems excessive.



Nov 13, 2013 at 07:59 PM
naturephoto1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
Thanks - I did see that. 350 dollars for a lens adapter with collar seems excessive.


Possibly, but look at the cost of some of the lenses that will be mounted to the camera. If you are mounting to the A7r camera, that is a $2300 camera. Add to that the cost of the lens as with some of my Leica R lenses like the 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar, the 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt, or the 100mm f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit, I think it is worth protecting the investment. Additionally I expect the Novoflex adapters to last longer with many more times of mounting and removing the adapter and the lenses from the camera body,

Rich



Nov 13, 2013 at 08:14 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


There are other factors in the equation. First is many users have many lenses from the same family, so one adapter of high quality makes economic sense for them. Second, good adapters are a sound bet as there are few moving parts to wear, therefore they will be easily bought and sold with relative confidence. Third, precision really counts, both with adapters (see the Roger Cicala article at lensrental on dramatic frame edge fall-off) and with bodies (from Lloyd Chambers et al) - pointing to Nikon's mount to sensor parallelism.

So it makes good sense to use a high end part at this critical point of the system, and in fact adapters of sufficient quality may do better with sensor-mount-optical path alignment than a traditional tripod mount supporting say, a D800e plus a 70-200/2.8 zoom - a total payload of around 2 kgs on just that small attachment point at the bottom of the body, which really loads the mount.

An adapter hangs both the lens and the body from either end of a small structure with plenty of torsional resistance and stiffness in its diminutive body. Both lens and body are going to be able to easily handle that kind of load at that point in their design. Less loading on the tripod head also, for the same reason - fore-aft load balance.

Sony, who manufacture the RX1 lens-sensor dimensions to micron tolerances, knew all this was coming to the a7r and gave it a strong gussetted magnesium frame to bolster the mount area. And two hopefully good adapters of their own based on NEX experiences, in full knowledge of the demands of the 36Mp sensor, the large weight and size of the ZAs and stress from long lenses, and of course the attention to detail of demanding users who tend to notice all this.




Nov 13, 2013 at 08:49 PM
artur5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


The best solution for E mount to Leica R lenses is not an adapter but a Leitax conversion. That is, unless you intend to keep using the lens on a Leica-R film body.

Edited on Nov 14, 2013 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions



Nov 13, 2013 at 09:29 PM
naturephoto1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


artur5 wrote:
The best solution for E mount to Leica R lenses is not an adapter but a Leitax conversion. That is, unless you don't intend to keep using the lens on a Leica-R film body.


Artur,

We have gone round and round regarding this at least in my case. I already have 16 Leica R lenses. Besides wanting to have the possibility of using these lenses on my Leica R cameras, I also use these lenses on other camera systems and then there is the cost of converting all of these and quite possibly even more via Leitax mounts. Additionally, if I used the Leitax option it would cause problems with using the Leica lenses with the 1.4X and 2X Apo Extenders, Macro Adapter R, Leica Extension ring sets, and Leica R Bellows.

Rich



Nov 13, 2013 at 09:45 PM
k-h.a.w
Online

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


naturephoto1 wrote:
Artur,

We have gone round and round regarding this at least in my case. I already have 16 Leica R lenses. Besides wanting to have the possibility of using these lenses on my Leica R cameras, I also use these lenses on other camera systems and then there is the cost of converting all of these and quite possibly even more via Leitax mounts. Additionally, if I used the Leitax option it would cause problems with using the Leica lenses with the 1.4X and 2X Apo Extenders, Macro Adapter R, Leica Extension ring sets, and Leica R Bellows.

Rich



Exactly!



Nov 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM
telyt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


naturephoto1 wrote:
Artur,

We have gone round and round regarding this at least in my case. I already have 16 Leica R lenses. Besides wanting to have the possibility of using these lenses on my Leica R cameras, I also use these lenses on other camera systems and then there is the cost of converting all of these and quite possibly even more via Leitax mounts. Additionally, if I used the Leitax option it would cause problems with using the Leica lenses with the 1.4X and 2X Apo Extenders, Macro Adapter R, Leica Extension ring sets, and Leica R Bellows.

Rich


+1



Nov 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
Thanks - I did see that. 350 dollars for a lens adapter with collar seems excessive.


At least you only have to buy the collar once. It will work with all of their adapters. And it is a vast improvement over the built-in tripod feet on the less expensive adapters.



Nov 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM
naturephoto1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


freaklikeme wrote:
At least you only have to buy the collar once. It will work with all of their adapters. And it is a vast improvement over the built-in tripod feet on the less expensive adapters.


The Novoflex rotating lens collar I believe only will work with the Novoflex NEX adapters. In the case of the Novoflex lens collar for the Novoflex adapter for M4/3 system also works with the Novoflex adapter for Fujifilm X system.

Rich



Nov 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


freaklikeme wrote:
At least you only have to buy the collar once. It will work with all of their adapters. And it is a vast improvement over the built-in tripod feet on the less expensive adapters.


Thanks again for all the comments. More to digest. I had not written Novoflex off but I had narrowed the list down to 3 - the Rayqual (Cameraquest) with tripod foot, the upcoming Metabones with tripod foot and the Novoflex system. I see all three contenders as distributing much of the weight on the adaptor itself and not on the camera body.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience with either the Rayqual or Cameraquest adaptors with a tripod foot on heavier 800-1000g lens. Like others who have already expressed their opinions I am not interested in placing that kind of weight solely on the A7R body (even though I have routinely done this with Canon SLR's with no problem).
Dave



Nov 14, 2013 at 02:00 AM
hiepphotog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
Thanks again for all the comments. More to digest. I had not written Novoflex off but I had narrowed the list down to 3 - the Rayqual (Cameraquest) with tripod foot, the upcoming Metabones with tripod foot and the Novoflex system. I see all three contenders as distributing much of the weight on the adaptor itself and not on the camera body.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience with either the Rayqual or Cameraquest adaptors with a tripod foot on heavier 800-1000g lens. Like others who have already expressed their opinions I am not interested in placing that
...Show more


Have you looked at the tripod foot on that Rayqual? I would not call that is a good design. My Contax to E Rayqual got the infinity spot on, but if you're going for one with the tripod foot, I would look at the Novoflex or Metabones. Personally, I would go with Metabones since they seem to pay more attention to the adapter flatness and to getting the exact thickness than Novoflex. I probably put up my Novoflex up for sale soon because of this very reason.



Nov 14, 2013 at 02:11 AM
dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


hiepphotog wrote:
Have you looked at the tripod foot on that Rayqual? I would not call that is a good design. My Contax to E Rayqual got the infinity spot on, but if you're going for one with the tripod foot, I would look at the Novoflex or Metabones. Personally, I would go with Metabones since they seem to pay more attention to the adapter flatness and to getting the exact thickness than Novoflex. I probably put up my Novoflex up for sale soon because of this very reason.


Interesting - and thanks for your comments! My biggest question with these tripod feet coming straight off the adapter is are they really tall enough - as a typical tripod collar has its foot well below the lens barrel.



Nov 15, 2013 at 02:51 AM
naturephoto1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
Interesting - and thanks for your comments! My biggest question with these tripod feet coming straight off the adapter is are they really tall enough - as a typical tripod collar has its foot well below the lens barrel.


You are still limited to using the camera in a horizontal orientation without turning the camera on its side on the tripod head. That will put much more stress on the set-up than working with a tripod collar. Additionally you will have a much greater composition displacement when you turn the camera on its side on the tripod head than by rotating the camera and lens around the rotating collar.

Rich



Nov 15, 2013 at 02:59 AM
dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


Yes - good point.


Nov 15, 2013 at 03:06 AM
MaxBerlin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters



Thanks - I did see that. 350 dollars for a lens adapter with collar seems excessive.


Not compared to the wasted photos or the cost of repairing any lens worthy of the system.



Nov 15, 2013 at 03:24 AM
hiepphotog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
Interesting - and thanks for your comments! My biggest question with these tripod feet coming straight off the adapter is are they really tall enough - as a typical tripod collar has its foot well below the lens barrel.


Beside the point of rotating collar, I would say they're tall enough for all of the non-collar lenses. I have used the Zeiss 35/1.4 and Olympus 90/2 with telescopic macro tube (among the biggest non-collar lenses) without any problem on my NEX-7. Shorter foot is actually better since you have less torque.



Nov 16, 2013 at 01:33 AM
JaKo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


This was probably already mentioned on FM, but Voigtländer discontinued their VM-E and F-E adapters (compatibility issues with Sony A7/R?) and announced a new VM-E mk. II adapter to be release in April, 2014. Interestingly, Voigtländer mentions compatibility of VM-E II with Zeiss ZM lenses including even a number of wide angles.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Cosina-Exhibits-Voigtlander-NOKTON-25mm-F0-95-Type-II-Lens-at-CP-2014-426888-4.jpg




Mar 28, 2014 at 06:10 AM
tennclay
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


JaKo wrote:
This was probably already mentioned on FM, but Voigtländer discontinued their VM-E and F-E adapters (compatibility issues with Sony A7/R?) and announced a new VM-E mk. II adapter to be release in April, 2014. Interestingly, Voigtländer mentions compatibility of VM-E II with Zeiss ZM lenses including even a number of wide angles.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Cosina-Exhibits-Voigtlander-NOKTON-25mm-F0-95-Type-II-Lens-at-CP-2014-426888-4.jpg



I hadn't seen that, but since I bought one if these overpriced adapters in November I knew it didn't work. So far I have found that only one adapter seems to work out of 4 different mounts.

- the CV M adapter blacks out the corners on some lenses as stated
- Metabones Leica R adapter is designed let let light freely flow in from the lens release
- the Fotodiox C/y adapter is design to allow light in through a large arc they did bother to cover over the lens release mechanism
- the Fotodiox OM adapter actually seems to work and is light tight - I am surprised it hasn't been recalled

These things are crap, I used to adapt lenses to a 5d years ago and never had this kind of problem. I have a Novoflex for the R Lenses coming today, so that may be the direction I go for all of them from now on.



Mar 28, 2014 at 07:08 AM
systema
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I have a Viltrox EF to E-Mount on the way, the updated 2014 version ($129.99 on the bay). Even though the King brand has more extensive testing according to the seller, I've had previous positive experience with the EOS-M to EF adapter by Viltrox. After some testing I will report.


Mar 28, 2014 at 07:15 AM
1       2       3      
4
       5       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password