FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

twoeye wrote:
This guy has tested the 17&24mm TS-E lenses on the A7r with the Metabones Smart adapter:

"The 17mm TSE did have noticeable vingetting when fully shifted up or down, but this is to be expected with this lens on a full frame body. Apart from that the lens / body combo appeared to work very well together."

Excellent news!

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:36 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

agentbird wrote:
I have a Canon 50mm f/0.95 which I only use on my Canon 7 rangefinder. Do any of you have any tips on adapters for the Sony A7r? I obviously won't need any electrical contacts

As sebboh said if it's been converted to LTM adapting it should be very easy, but if it's the original 7 RF mount, you will need to find an adapter for it, there have been some on eBay, like this one.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-50mm-f-0-95-to-Sony-NEX-Adapter-both-NEX-Cams-and-FS100-700-RF-TV-ver-/181244374727
No idea if there will be issues on the A7/A7r.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM
agentbird
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

LightShow wrote:
As sebboh said if it's been converted to LTM adapting it should be very easy, but if it's the original 7 RF mount, you will need to find an adapter for it, there have been some on eBay, like this one.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-50mm-f-0-95-to-Sony-NEX-Adapter-both-NEX-Cams-and-FS100-700-RF-TV-ver-/181244374727
No idea if there will be issues on the A7/A7r.

I have not converted it, it is an original RF lens. If that adapter works I'm curios to see if the lens itself can fit in front of the camera becaus of the grip, since the lens is quite wide. I'll have to wait for my local store to get a camera so I can see if it fits before I order an adapter and buy a camera.

I've been really waiting for a FF alternative to the Leica M's which can accommodate my 50, hopefully the A7 is that camera.

Thanks for the help

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:36 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

I just tried the ts17 on the metabones iii ef to e adapter on the nex 5 to make sure it works.

I shfted it to extremes and it was fine that I could see on the back screen.

I also put it on a sony e mount ff sony video camera to try it on full frame and it shifted fine without cutting off. As seen on the back screen.

The aperture setting by camera on nex 5 worked.

There was no noticable vignetting on either camera but the autoexposure might have solved this. In any event there is vignetting even on the canon to the extremes.

The metabones tripod mount screw in mount was a bit smaller than I anticipated and will not be as sturdy as the bottom of my 5diii for vibration contol though with my landscape lens.

The store has two metabones iii canon ef - sony e adapters - one clicked into the ts17 easily and the other was less easy to click in (it did eventually lock without click). I just report this as a potential quality control issue.

So I bought it (the one that clicked in easier) in anticipation of delivery of a7r.

Thought you might be interested.

Edited on Oct 25, 2013 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:49 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Great info Scott. All I can say is I haven't been this excited about a camera since buying the original 5D (coming from a 20D crop.) I've preordered the a7R as well....bought the Metabones adapter, a couple of SD cards, extra battery, etc.

-Tim

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

tsdevine wrote:
Great info Scott. All I can say is I haven't been this excited about a camera since buying the original 5D (coming from a 20D crop.) I've preordered the a7R as well....bought the Metabones adapter, a couple of SD cards, extra battery, etc.

-Tim

you are welcome.

Me too on excitment.

I also looked at the zeiss 35/2 biogon m mount, which I will likely buy for hiking (with e adapter) and the combination looks small enough to be viable for hiking. I am waiting for the reviews to ensure the edge smearing of the extreme angles is not too much.

I am also hoping to take some pictures on nov 5 with the ts to do some pixel peeping with the ts17 on a a7r (in the store) preview night at my camera store.

Edited on Oct 25, 2013 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:06 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

This is great, thank you Scott. If the results on a file show that the offset microlenses don't mess with the quality in the corners with shifts and tilt then I'll re-order the A7r I cancelled and most likely buy a 24mm TSE as well (I have the 17mm).

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

mcbroomf wrote:
This is great, thank you Scott. If the results on a file show that the offset microlenses don't mess with the quality in the corners with shifts and tilt then I'll re-order the A7r I cancelled and most likely buy a 24mm TSE as well (I have the 17mm).

You are welcome.

I will see if I can get some extreme corner shots on Nov 6 with TS17. I have the same worry.

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:09 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

tsdevine wrote:

-Tim

If you're not aware, the a7's don't come with an off board charger. They do have a plug in (usb) port in the camera battery door, but if you want a dedicated charger, you'll want (amazon US link) this, or this older model.

This is a mickey mouse move by Sony. Charge what you need, but include the basic necessities, including a charger and 2nd battery in the box.

Graham

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:29 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Scott Stoness wrote:
I just tried the ts17 on the metabones iii ef to e adapter on the nex 5 to make sure it works.

Great news Scott. Now, will you sell me your 17 TS-E?

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:36 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Actually, forgot to mention that I ordered the "new" charger too. That looks like it's going to come later...probably after the camera. :-)

grahamb3 wrote:
If you're not aware, the a7's don't come with an off board charger. They do have a plug in (usb) port in the camera battery door, but if you want a dedicated charger, you'll want (amazon US link) this, or this older model.

This is a mickey mouse move by Sony. Charge what you need, but include the basic necessities, including a charger and 2nd battery in the box.

Graham

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:39 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

tsdevine wrote:

-Tim

Similar story here. I ordered the a7R, two extra SD cards, two generic batteries and the smart adapter III. I've been playing with adapter on my NEX-5N. AF with the 40/2.8TM makes a nice compact lightweight AF package. I also like the Zeiss ZE 35/2 which on a full frame will show it's great 3D rendering.

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:41 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

I've used the following lenses on a Ricoh GXR and now a NEX-6-- CV15/4.5, CV35/1.2, ZM25/2.8 and ZM35/2.8.

On the GXR, all of the lenses had even sharpness across the frame. There was very faint cyan(not magenta) color shift at the corners with the CV15 which I wouldn't have noticed if Ron Scheffler hadn't pointed it out, but none of the lenses had significant magenta shift. I mention this only as a baseline for lens performance on a native M-mount.

On the NEX-6, I ran into enough adapter problems to convince me that you get what you pay for, regardless of internet anecdotes. There are several brands of adapters on Amazon that I tried. The first would not allow my lenses to reach infinity. The second had enough tilt such that the upper left corner would not reach infinity and was soft when the lens was focused to infinity, but you could clearly see the focal plane move closer to me on inspection.

I ended up with a "Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Leica M Lens to Sony Alpha NEX E-Mount Camera" that is excellent from an IQ standpoint, sharp across the frame. I do get magenta corner shift with the CV15, but was expecting this. Infinity focus is pretty much spot on which is awesome. However there is a big lens release tab with a sharp edge that sits against my finger which is uncomfortable.

I recently got a "Leica M Mount Lens To Sony NEX E-mount Adapter" from Metabones. I haven't used it much yet, but it is similarly sharp across the frame at infinity. It does focus pretty significantly beyond infinity, so I need to use care for that application. However, it's a little more comfortable to use with my bigger lenses.

I plan to purchase the newly announced Voigtlander helicoid adapter. I have an eBay Chinese knock-off of the Hawks, and it's built like crap, tons of wobble, visible lubricant leaking out. I've used it with the ZM25 a few times and it is just ridiculous how much detail that thing can render used as a close-up lens, which gives me hope for the Voigt.

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:04 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

grahamb3 wrote:

Graham

What other companies sell a camera with two batteries? I'd like to know.

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:28 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Sigma DP Merrills

The charger would have been nice at least, but I can understand the single battery.

ISO1600 wrote:
What other companies sell a camera with two batteries? I'd like to know.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Scott Stoness wrote:
you are welcome.

Me too on excitment.

I also looked at the zeiss 35/2 biogon m mount, which I will likely buy for hiking (with e adapter) and the combination looks small enough to be viable for hiking. I am waiting for the reviews to ensure the edge smearing of the extreme angles is not too much.

I am also hoping to take some pictures on nov 5 with the ts to do some pixel peeping with the ts17 on a a7r (in the store) preview night at my camera store.

Scott, another great UWA great choice is the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 with the Voigtlander M to E-mount adapter.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/10/25/quick-samples-from-sony-a7-and-a7r-with-12mm-voigtlander
It could be a great complement for our Canon TS-E lenses.

My Metabones EF to E-mount Mark III is very tight on my lenses. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but should be testing performance on the corners as well.
Fred

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:28 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Fred Miranda wrote:
My Metabones EF to E-mount Mark III is very tight on my lenses. I'm not sure if that is good or bad but should be testing performance on the corners as well.
Fred

I notice the same with mine. It's a very tight fit for Canon and Zeiss lenses on mine. However my EOS modified Rokkor 58/1.2 seems to fit snug but not tight.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:38 PM
PeteG1

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

When I got my Metabones it was very tight too almost too tight, I put some EF lenses on & off for 10-15mins and it did get better. I thought about sending it back but thought its better being a little tight than a little too loose.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

PeteG1 wrote:
When I got my Metabones it was very tight too almost too tight, I put some EF lenses on & off for 10-15mins and it did get better. I thought about sending it back but thought its better being a little tight than a little too loose.

When I first tried on my 17 TS-E and it almost got stuck on it. Yes, it did get a little better after a few more tries...
I agree that it's better tight and loose.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters

Fred Miranda wrote:
When I first tried on my 17 TS-E and it almost got stuck on it. Yes, it did get a little better after a few more tries...
I agree that it's better tight and loose.

I just bought one used from Adorama. It looks like it was a rental unit with a fair amount of use. Fits about perfect - not too tight or loose.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:58 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.