New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need a mobile App?

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a mobile App?

My web designer is convinced that *not* having a moble app will hamstring me in the near future of my business (kinda like not having a website in the late '90s).

Any thoughts?

thx and Aloha!

greg

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:37 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a mobile App?

What's your business model?

Josh

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:00 PM
axe9
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a mobile App?

I would say that unless mobile is built into your marketing (QR codes and whatnot) I wouldn't spend a great deal on it.

If your webdesigner was worth his salt, he would have made it a responsive design in the first place, and wouldn't be hitting you up for money again.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a mobile App?

axe9 wrote:
I would say that unless mobile is built into your marketing (QR codes and whatnot) I wouldn't spend a great deal on it.

If your webdesigner was worth his salt, he would have made it a responsive design in the first place, and wouldn't be hitting you up for money again.

Words of wisdom * if * the website wasn't around 10 years old. I am just getting around to having him update the website.

Thanks for input thus far

greg

Oct 19, 2013 at 03:43 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a mobile App?

What the hell is a mobile app in this sense?
Isn't your site visible on the net on a phone anyway?

Oct 21, 2013 at 05:46 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need a mobile App?

It will be much, much cheaper and much, much more effective to redesign the site on a responsive platform than it would be to build a mobile app that most folks will never find. If your developer says different he is either overcharging you for web design work or has never designed a custom mobile app.

I just checked your site, which I tried to do from my iPad when I initially read your post. Your landing page runs Flash, which is a non-starter for a lot of mobile platforms and a lot of users (I block all Flash in browser even on my laptop, it's a security vulnerability). There is no way on earth I'd spend a dime on a mobile app before I updated that website.

Josh

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need a mobile App?

JoshI wrote:
It will be much, much cheaper and much, much more effective to redesign the site on a responsive platform than it would be to build a mobile app that most folks will never find. If your developer says different he is either overcharging you for web design work or has never designed a custom mobile app.

I just checked your site, which I tried to do from my iPad when I initially read your post. Your landing page runs Flash, which is a non-starter for a lot of mobile platforms and a lot of users (I block all Flash in browser
...Show more

Hi Josh and thanks for the valuable input. The site hasn't been updated in about 10 years and even my web guy is anxious to get rid of the flash for the exact reasons you have mentioned.

Aloha

greg

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:31 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.