New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Willy Y.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Pulled this lens out of my backpack this morning and saw a little piece of plastic laying in the bag, I picked it up and noticed right away what it was from and turns out it was the 80mm lock switch. I can't understand how it broke as in the pack it is secure and there is no way anything could have hit it. looking at how flimsy the connecting piece of plastic is that goes down into the lens I am not suprised.

Anyone else have an issue with this? I suppose it has to go to Nikon for the fix.

Oct 18, 2013 at 04:06 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Weird. That sucks - I use my lock switch all the time and have dragged it fairly unprotected across the country a few times and to Africa, no problems yet.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:52 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Kind of interesting, what kind of pack, was it a dedicated photo pack? How was it protected? I take mine all over in my Lowepro Photo pack and no issues...

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Willy Y.
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Mine is a Lowepro also, and I just can't figure it out, i haven't dropped, banged, forced it or anything. Go Figure, anyway some quick pics - excuse the poor iphone shots.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Crazy! Never have encountered this before. Admittedly I rarely use the lock switch on this lens, don't really feel it's necessary (though the 24-120 f/4 could use it!)

Oct 19, 2013 at 05:15 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Packed just like mine.

The bad thing is Nikon will charge $500 for the repair, blaming damage on you.

Perhaps you can call APS and see what they would charge first if they have the parts, before going through the Nikon aggravation.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Willy Y.
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

ckcarr wrote:
Packed just like mine.

The bad thing is Nikon will charge $500 for the repair, blaming damage on you.

Yeah thats what im afriad of, and it is probably about a 1 cent piece of plastic. seriously - the little plastic connector that broke couldn't be more than 3-4 mm across and it is hollow. Not a very durable switch.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Impact damage, totally.

Just ask Nikon...

Kidding aside, that does suck - I'd still send it to Nikon and see what happens - if they want to charge you for the repair, just refuse and have the lens sent back. APS can do it for sure and probably at a reasonable rate.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Yep, send it to Nikon. My gut tells me they'll fix it under warranty.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Willy Y.
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Yeah I'm going to contact them monday and get it moving. At first I thought I might use it how it is until the snow falls, but realized yesterday the switch holds the lock /unlock internals in place. Without the switch the internals flop around freely with gravity so sometimes it will lock just from picking it up. Kinda of annoying when you need to zoom quickly and its locked.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 80-400G lock switch fell out

Hopefully it's not the shape of things to come and is a one-time fluke.

So far it seems the Nikon quality control issues were primarily with camera bodies. If it starts extending out to the new lenses that will really irk me!

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.