Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

I believe the lens was set at f11, possibly f8, with 215mm of extension (effective aperture for the f11 option around f45 or so) with open flash technique on E-P2. Essentially, the flash was fired and metered by my OM4 film camera. In effect, this was manual flash with the E-P2 but with it not having any part in firing or metering the flash.

This is from the time when I was not yet convinced that it was safe to use my legacy, T-Series, Olympus film flash units on the E-P2 hot shoe.

This is the background to the session:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107453#107453

This gives more specific details of the moss shoot, two images of which are omiitted here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107593#107593

The images all had the same blue background, except the last, which had matt black.

[Edit] I reworked the images, to some extent, with updated software. See my reply of 4 December. [Edit ends]

Harold

Harold Gough 2013

Harold Gough 2013

Edited on Dec 05, 2013 at 08:28 AM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

NIce series, first photo my favorite.

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:33 AM
HauntedHat
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

I second that, the first one is IMO the best looking of them, I suppose it has to do with the fact that it has some kind of context, giving it some sense of scale and not only presenting the subject on a single, isolated plane.

I'm digging the blue background, also. Makes it look fresh.

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:47 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

Thanks, folks, for your kind comments.

I was really only developing a personal method and equipment combination and getting presentable images first time was a bonus.

Harold

Oct 19, 2013 at 05:58 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

Having updated my Topaz software, I have now partly reworked the images. Ideally, I would have gone back to the originals but I worked on the posted versions.

Harold

Harold Gough 2013

Harold Gough 2013

Harold Gough 2013

Harold Gough 2013

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nass

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

Interesting Harold,

I liked these the first time when I saw them posted elsewhere and I like them this time too. The updated topaz detail is the bomb

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:48 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

quote]Nass wrote:
Interesting Harold,

I liked these the first time when I saw them posted elsewhere and I like them this time too. The updated topaz detail is the bomb

An interesting response.

Just recently, I have seen noise very prominently in old image posts, all of which would have had NR treatment to my satisfaction in their former life. This was even before my eye examination and new spectacles this week. The first version of the image with blue background is typical. That had to be treated.

I still prefer the second version of the first image although I also quite like the first version too.

Harold

Dec 05, 2013 at 12:22 PM
trilce84
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

great use of lighting. Thanks for the share.

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backlit moss through a Leitz Wetzlar 50mm f2.8 Photar

trilce84 wrote:
great use of lighting. Thanks for the share.

Thanks.

Perhaps I should do some more sessions with this setup. Unfortunately, the limitations require a darkened room, making winter the best time, whereas subjects are then limited. The World needs only so many moss images!

This represents one of two aspects of using my OM film camera to control flash illumination for my digital camera. (The other aspect is manual control for copying transparencies i.e digitising them, for posting purposes anyway).

Harold

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password