New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

drcph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

Finally it's here! Kudos to Fuji for updating an old camera, with features you could say are cannibalizing newer models.
I can't give it a try for the next couple of days, but looking forward to try the improvements.

Link:
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/index.html

Release notes:

1.Improvement of AF speed
Approximately 20% faster AF speed is achieved in various conditions such as bright scenes, dark scenes and changed focus distance compared to the previous firmware version.
2.Improvement of close-up focus performance
The focus distance from the lens surface without switching to macro mode is approximately 30% shorter compared to previous firmware version.
3."Focus Peak Highlight" function for manual focusing is added.
The function, which features on FUJIFILM X100S and X20, is added and assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
* With this update, "Focus Peak Highlight" function is selected as a default setting.
...Show more

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:08 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:41 AM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

AF seems to be improved and focuses close without going to macro. Happy camper.....

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:54 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

Great update!

AF seems faster for sure. Manual focus is actually usable now since it doesn't take 100 rotations to actually change distances.

The close up focusing is a lot better as well, but only if using the EVF or live view and not the OVF. I nearly always use the OVF but now if I get close to something I can just toggle to the EVF on the front switch without ever taking my eye away.

Thanks Fuji!!

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
chris.bersbach
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

I think David Hobby nailed it on his twitter:

List of camera manufacturers who release major, feature-ladened firmware updates for discontinued cameras:

1. Fujifilm
2. Drawin' a blank

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM
bigfredtn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

I just downloaded the new firmware. The focus speed is much faster. I am pleased with the update. This should hold me over until Fuji introduces a FF camera.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

I'm a little confused about the button/dial that gives the zoomed view. seems it now *also* switches the peek function on and off. but I can't tell how it determines if it should zoom view or switch the peeking.

kinda wish the peek function worked with the zoom view as well.

this firmware release has increased the odds of my future fuji brand purchase to an almost certainty.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

Cool. These were the main issues that led me to the X100s in the first place. Interesting business decision by Fuji, as I would have likely just stuck with the old X100.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

I would be far more impressed if they had handled warranty claims by non original owners for the sticky aperture blade issue.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

michaelwatkins wrote:
I would be far more impressed if they had handled warranty claims by non original owners for the sticky aperture blade issue.

I've read about some instances where they have, FWIW.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

gpop wrote:
I'm a little confused about the button/dial that gives the zoomed view. seems it now *also* switches the peek function on and off. but I can't tell how it determines if it should zoom view or switch the peeking.

kinda wish the peek function worked with the zoom view as well.

this firmware release has increased the odds of my future fuji brand purchase to an almost certainty.

If it works how it does on the X-E1 and X-M1, a quick press will zoom in and out, a press and hold should toggle focus peaking on and off.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

Me too, Douglas, but know of far more instances where they did not honor the warranty, despite the problems being very clearly a manufacturing fault entirely of their own.

If they had dealt with the problem better, including offering second hand owners a lifeline for this one specific problem, I wouldn't be gun shy about buying or recommending their products.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

updated mine at lunch. no issues, just further improvements. focus seems smoother. cool.

it's pretty amazing that this camera is where it is via firmware updates alone. when i bought this thing the AF was absolutely horrible. now it's even good in low light.

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:19 PM
mechx
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

I concur...huge improvements. Thank you Fuji!

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

I still kinda wish they'd update the AE button so I don't have to hold it down to change meter settings. But the AF speed and distance changes are good enough for me

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:15 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

douglasf13 wrote:
I've read about some instances where they have, FWIW.

Yep, I had my 2nd hand X100 fixed without charge. Had to talk with management though.

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:28 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

anyone else feel the camera as a whole is a bit snappier? great up date!

Oct 19, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

A genuinely remarkable firmware update, the improvement in focus speed is quite dramatic, the camera has gained a quantum leap in usability. Thanks Fuji!

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:16 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

So the firmware they should have released it with makes us super grateful nearly 3 years later.

Just kidding.

I miss mine, hope the dim light focus is more reliable and the EC dial disable-able.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:42 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X100 2.0 firmware released

Manual focus is messed up (focus shift) in some situations. Very well detailed, with video showing it, over at DPR.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.