Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

ceder
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Looking for camera news, one often ends up on chinese or japanese pages... Those languages seems very challenging for google translate! A few examples:

"Landlord hard, poor quality feel good, which Coke more useful focus speed?"

"Just like sofas, but on second thought, or just the landlord handed out."

Lots of talks about the landlords... and I am no wiser regarding the tests!

Oct 19, 2013 at 04:31 PM
deang001
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I think Fuji will make an FF camera, but it will be with a fixed lens. I wish they would release two FF cameras with fixed lenses with one of them being 50mm !!! Every single high end fixed lens cam we get is around the 35mm mark. I think a fixed 50mm FF would be pretty popular.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

alba63 wrote:
b) bring a Pro 2 with better sensor: More MP and better DR. Plus hybrid viewfinder.

Bernie

Could be this one currently under development.
http://petapixel.com/2013/06/11/fuji-and-panasonics-new-organic-sensor-boasts-insane-14-6-stops-dynamic-range/

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:49 AM
alba63
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

glacierpete wrote:
Could be this one currently under development.
http://petapixel.com/2013/06/11/fuji-and-panasonics-new-organic-sensor-boasts-insane-14-6-stops-dynamic-range/

Well, they have been developing the organic sensor since at least 5-6 years. Big question is when it will be ready for serial production and how large they can build it at affordable prices. It might be that the majority of people in the mass market will not be ready to pay a high price for larger dynamic range, they are more attracted by Megapixel and insane high ISOs.

But should Fuji be able to build a high resolution APS-c sensor with this technology, I'd be interested.

But I guess till then we'll see at least another 1-2 generations of conventional sensors.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM
10rth

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Any thoughts about the XQ1?

Only 500 USD!

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM
alba63
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

10rth wrote:
Any thoughts about the XQ1?

Only 500 USD!

If that was not irony:
This is a compact camera with small sensor, seen the difficult market situation of the compact camera segment - price will fall quickly in normal regions. Fuji traditionally starts high and falls quick.

For almost the same price, you get the X-A1 with kit lens - that one has an APS-c sensor.

Bernie

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:30 PM
10rth

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Am I understanding this right?
The XQ1 has the same 12 MP sensor as the X20, and that sensor is different from the 16 MP sensor in the higher-end Fujifilm cameras everyone raves about. Correct?

I wonder if the XQ1 would suffice for my more modest needs.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:02 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

10rth wrote:
Am I understanding this right?
The XQ1 has the same 12 MP sensor as the X20, and that sensor is different from the 16 MP sensor in the higher-end Fujifilm cameras everyone raves about. Correct?

I wonder if the XQ1 would suffice for my more modest needs.

The sensor in the XQ1 is much smaller than that of the X-A1 and higher, and the X-A1 is only $100 more with a lens. Granted, the XQ1 is a lot smaller camera.

If you're looking at small sensor cameras, I'd look at the Sony RX100.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:10 AM
10rth

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

The X-A1 (Fuji) and RX100 (Sony) are nice ideas, but it depends on whether I am willing to raise my (strict) budget of $500.

If not, then from what I can gather, the XQ1 looks like my best choice.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:22 AM
you2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

This is more of a question but I was playing with an X-E2 the other day and outside the view finder completely washed out. In the menu setting there was an option to increase EVF/LCD brightness but it only seemed to increase the brightness of the LCD. However, if I set the camera to massively over exposed then the viewfinder image was visible (when you 1/2 press the shutter button) so the camera is capable of increasing the brightness.
-
So the question I have is does the final version of the camera have any method to increase the viewfinder (the image was pale enough that i could not accurately tell when (or where) it locked focus.
-
The other thing is that it was kind of difficult to switch between the e-m5 and xe-2 due to orientation of the viewfinder (I currently own an e-m5) but was playing with the x-e2, m1 and m5 side by side (as a side topic I was a bit surprise that for causal use I prefer the m5 evf to the m1 indoors - from people comments on the camera I thought the m1 would be a huge step forward over the m5).
-
Hum also a a tidbit the 23 while a little bigger than the 18-55 was quite noticably lighter on the camera. Was a bit surprise when I first picked up the x-e2 with the 23. Oh and I was also very surprise by how small the oly 12-40f2.8 appeared but these are side topics (all of this was at a photo show; but unfortunately the represenatives didn't seem to know very much about the cameras they were showing - also sony didn't bother to bring the a7/a7r)
-

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nalax

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

So how was the AF on the X-E2?

you2 wrote:
This is more of a question but I was playing with an X-E2 the other day and outside the view finder completely washed out. In the menu setting there was an option to increase EVF/LCD brightness but it only seemed to increase the brightness of the LCD. However, if I set the camera to massively over exposed then the viewfinder image was visible (when you 1/2 press the shutter button) so the camera is capable of increasing the brightness.
-
So the question I have is does the final version of the camera have any method to increase the viewfinder (the image
...Show more

Nov 03, 2013 at 02:26 PM
ajamils
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I've had X-E2 on pre-order since the day it went live but now looking at the prices of used X-E2, I'm having second thoughts about it. Compared to the current used prices of X-E1, X-E2 is almost twice the price.

Those who have upgraded from X-E1, what are you thoughts?

Nov 04, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Well, none of us have it yet. I'll have mine when the first batch of preorders ship as well.

For me, I also have the x-m1, so I know about how the speed and responsiveness and extra speed on the card writes are, and they are pretty significant. WiFi also comes in really handy. Add faster AF, the faster refreshing EVF and, this is a big one, the X-E2 finally will be able to magnify the view while writing to a card...which is infuriating on the X-E1 when using legacy glass.

While I really like my X-E1, the E2 fixes almost every issue I have with it. That alone makes it worth the upgrade for me.

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:35 AM
jonrock
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jordan, I'll be waiting for your review on the X-E2 to see if it's worth upgrading. The biggest problem I have with my X-E1 is just mainly AF speed and overall responsiveness. I bought the Fuji 55-200 f3.5-4.8 mostly based on your review of that lens. I actually like it quite a bit more than the Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4.0.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:56 AM
ajamils
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jman13 wrote:
Well, none of us have it yet. I'll have mine when the first batch of preorders ship as well.

For me, I also have the x-m1, so I know about how the speed and responsiveness and extra speed on the card writes are, and they are pretty significant. WiFi also comes in really handy. Add faster AF, the faster refreshing EVF and, this is a big one, the X-E2 finally will be able to magnify the view while writing to a card...which is infuriating on the X-E1 when using legacy glass.

While I really like my X-E1, the E2 fixes
...Show more

I believe that X-E2 is already being delivered in Europe and a lot of people already have it.

Just going by the spec sheet, X-E2 does fix majority of the issues that I faced with X-E1, biggest being AF speed and EVF in low light. I currently also have X-M1 and there is definitely an overall improvement in speed of the camera operation, saving files etc.

I will keep my pre-order for now and keep an eye on the early reviews to see how things are.

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Yeah, I'm hoping it doesn't let me down. The early reports are all saying the AF is markedly better, so I hope that's true. I'm basically planning on the X-E2 to be good enough to become my true primary body, and then I can pare down my m4/3 kit to be just for what it does really, really well (super small stuff, macro and small supertelephoto).

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:15 PM
you2
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I had no complaints about the focus speed in the show-room and outside. I can't comment too much here because the lighting was decent and I had only played with an XE-1 a few times (with 35f1.4). It seemed snappier and while large the 23f1.4 is fairly light (it was less front heavy than the camera with the 18-55). My only real complaints was switching between the om-d (em1/em5) with the viewfinder in the middle and the xe-2 with the view finder on the edge; and that the viewfinder totally washed out outside making it almost unusable (this is a rather large concern I have hence the question on adjusting the brightness).
-
In a lot of ways I really prefer the em5 view finder to the e1 and em1 due to the extra brightness (i did not test the em1 outside and i own an em5).
-
Also the split screen feature of the x-e2 was very responsive and kind of neat. Not 100% sure how useful it is in practice but the camera was definiely snappier than the xe-1.
-
I was a bit disappointed in the representative lack of knowledge and he couldn't tell me what if any anti-dust feature the camera had (another convenient feature of olympus cameras).
-
I'm very tempted to bite on the xe-2 (esp with the quality primes and 55-200) but I would like to learn a bit more about outside usage and if dust becomes a big issue.
-
the only other concern I have with fuji is the lens issues I keep reading about (mostly with the 18-55 and to a lesser amount the 55-200). There has been some decentering issues (but most of the ones i've read about have not been horrible) but it seems like an unusual large number of motor issues are occurring with these lenses.
-
Anyways the xe-2 looks like a pretty decent step in the right direction with regards to usability over the xe-1 (I believe image quality is identical).

nalax wrote:
So how was the AF on the X-E2?

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

The Fuji cameras do have a vibration based anti-dust system, though it isn't as effective as the ones on Olympus and Panasonic cameras. It does a good enough job to keep your images predominantly dust-free, though I've had about 4-5 dust spots show up on the sensor through the past year, while I think I've had 2 specks of dust on my Micro 4/3 cameras, combined over multiple cameras and 4 years of use. Still, 4 or 5 dust specks in a year is pretty good, and about 5,000% better than what I experienced with my SLRs (which at the time didn't have any dust removal tech).

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:44 PM
you2
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Ok. Thanks. I think you mention this when I made a similar inquiry with the xe-1. If you remember please do comment on if the final version of the camera if you can brighten the evf (in addition to lcd). One thing I did not mention was that hte xe-2 was much faster than the xe-1. Hum what I mean is that some operations on the xe-1 like manual focus it would seem to 'lag; when updating the lcd. The xe-2 seemd to do this a *lot* faster not quite as fast the om's (m1/m5) but nearly as fast.

Jman13 wrote:
The Fuji cameras do have a vibration based anti-dust system, though it isn't as effective as the ones on Olympus and Panasonic cameras. It does a good enough job to keep your images predominantly dust-free, though I've had about 4-5 dust spots show up on the sensor through the past year, while I think I've had 2 specks of dust on my Micro 4/3 cameras, combined over multiple cameras and 4 years of use. Still, 4 or 5 dust specks in a year is pretty good, and about 5,000% better than what I experienced with my SLRs (which at the
...Show more

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:36 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Yeah, the X-E2's viewfinder refresh is nearly triple the X-E1's in low light. Should help a LOT with the viewfinder lag in the X-E1, which is pretty bad. Other than the low light lag, the viewfinder int he X-E1 is really good, so this should help a lot. Hoping it ships here in the next two weeks.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:45 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password