4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

The biggest annoyances of the XE-1 for me are:

1. AF speed (esp with the 35 1.4).
2. EVF refresh rate - I don't hear much about it, but its clearly much slower than my OM-D and it is sometimes quite annoying.
3. Focus peaking is only in white and not nearly as nice as Sony's implementation - I find it almost useless in bright light.

The first 2 issues are addressed with the XE-2, but has the peaking been improved? (other than split prism)?

I also see that the exposure comp is now +/- 3 : there are times that I would find this quite useful.

Unfortunately I just preordered the A7, so this will have to wait.

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:37 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

One of the preview writers said that peaking is clearer in the EVF. How mic clearer, we'll have to wait.

Hope mine's here in the next month!

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

RileyJoseph wrote:
I happen to have a pre-production X-E2 right now. I wrote a little review for it as I tend to do. I did not like the X-E1 at all and am pretty much a X-Pro1 kinda guy.. but I like the X-E2.

::Review::

your photo with the excavator (?) is a keeper, looks like a scene from pacific rim or sth like that

funny how you mentioned that jpegs are so good to work with in LR, I found the same but knowing that jpegs are just compressed files and there's no way fuji jpegs are somehow more tolerant to PP than other jpegs, I had dismissed it as nonsense... but I'm not very technical so I dont really know.

anyway I've fully switched to jpegs now. Hurray for not waiting for the buffer to clear, never upgrading pcs or cards, not worrying which raw converter is a better match for which camera and all sorts of other similar crap

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:31 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jman13 wrote:
Two of you have expressed consternation at the missing View Mode button. I'm somewhat perplexed. I can't imagine pressing a button every time I switched from the EVF to LCD. The eye sensor is a must in any EVF camera for me. Surprised that you and Patrick both manually switch constantly. I literally have used that button exactly once. When I first got my X-E1 and wanted to see what it did.
Thanks for reading it. 90% of the time I am using the EVF or OVF on my Fujis. Typically I don't want the LCD lighting up when I take my eye away from it. So I only turn the LCD on if I am reviewing photos or taking a photo from an awkward position.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:51 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Spyro P. wrote:
your photo with the excavator (?) is a keeper, looks like a scene from pacific rim or sth like that

funny how you mentioned that jpegs are so good to work with in LR, I found the same but knowing that jpegs are just compressed files and there's no way fuji jpegs are somehow more tolerant to PP than other jpegs, I had dismissed it as nonsense... but I'm not very technical so I dont really know.

anyway I've fully switched to jpegs now. Hurray for not waiting for the buffer to clear, never upgrading pcs or cards, not worrying
...Show more That photo is my favourite for the day. I have several of them from different heights above the excavator. I know the JPGs from my old point and shoot and my wife's camera are terrible to work with in LR.. what I bet it is is that the Fuji JPGs come so close to how I want them they need minimal work in LR. I too am not very technical.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I agree on the excavator shot...it looks fantastic.

I know you don't have a access to look at RAWs hey, but there has been some chatter about the Xtrans II having notably lower DR than the first gen. Do you know anything about this, is it only in JPEG on the X100s, or can we expect that on the X-E2? It sounds like a load of rubbish to me, but wanted to check.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:59 PM
robert829
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

x-pro2= full frame there..

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Riley, I agree about the excavator shot. It's great!

Oct 19, 2013 at 05:16 AM
alba63
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

robert829 wrote:
x-pro2= full frame there..

Positioning of a future X-Pro-2 (if there is one in the planning) is not that easy. FF - in my opinion - is still out of question, would require a completely new lens line. IF FF they will start with a new FF version of the x100.

For X-Pro 2 they have only 2 options:
a) bring the same a X-E2, just with hybrid viewfinder, but closer to the X-E2 in price than the forst model. Not many are willing to pay 900 more just for the hbrid finder.
b) bring a Pro 2 with better sensor: More MP and better DR. Plus hybrid viewfinder.

b) would be by far the better option, it would make the X-Pro 2 stand out in the product line. Those otehr 16MP models are all very close together.

The fact that Fuji has first announced the X-E2 (the second model that appeared last year), suggests however that they know that a) (see above) would not seem like a very convincing product strategy but that b) may not be available at this time.

Fuji while not making this very clear depends on a manufactuer (most likely Sony) to deliver them a good sensor base that they can buy and then modify by adding their own colour filter. However since the Nex-7 I am not aware of any higher than 16MP APS-c sensor from Sony that has made it into a camera. Given the fact that they now concentrate on their new A7 line, this may also not be one of their top priorities.

Therefore Fuji may currently be without anything new in hands, sensor- wise.

Bad luck.

Bernie

Oct 19, 2013 at 05:56 AM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

robert829..wrote: x-pro2= full frame there..

If this is true then Fuji owners like myself really need to question how much they invest into the current system. If the move is truly to a full frame Fuji in the next year then what is the point of rolling out the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2?...What will their value be if Fuji changes direction and goes down the full frame road?

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:07 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

They aren't going to make a FF X mount. As shown elsewhere, a FF sensor will not fit in the mount.

They could make a separate FF line, but I still don't think they will. I know everyone is all FF crazy, but for a compact system it doesn't make as much sense as on a DSLR.

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:11 AM
alba63
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jman13 wrote:
They could make a separate FF line, but I still don't think they will. I know everyone is all FF crazy, but for a compact system it doesn't make as much sense as on a DSLR.

I don't think either we will see a Fuji FF interchangeable before late 2015. They might release a test balloon with a fixed lens, this could even be a super camera with a larger than FF sensor (if someone makes it for them). Otherwise they will sit back and wait how the acceptance of FF develops.

Sony is less reluctant and tries out lots of things, partly with little success. The fact that the A7(r) is enthusiastically welcome on this board does not necessarily represent the general market. The camera could still fail commercially.

And I agree that mirrorless FF seems more of a compromise than APS-c ILCs: Lenses have to be big in order to be really good (flange distance, ray angle). Using FF DSLR lenses on a mirrorless body is even more of a compromise because all you gain is the lesser weight of the body. Compared to let's say the Nikon d600 or Canon 6d is roughly 350g on the body. And lesser size. Not nothing, but not htat much either. Plus the Zooms tend to be slower in order to justify the weight argument. But F4 is not all that exciting after all.

My current conclusion therefore is to wait until it has become clear how that A7 behaves, how quick interesting and light lenses become available etc.
I might also just as well stay happy with the X-E1/2 and my 35/1,4 plus the forthcoming 56/1,2 and maybe the 23/1,4. Very strong setup and unparalleled in the APS-c world...

Bernie

Edited on Oct 19, 2013 at 06:55 AM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:29 AM
James10013
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

alba63 wrote:
Positioning of a future X-Pro-2 (if there is one in the planning) is not that easy. FF - in my opinion - is still out of question, would require a completely new lens line. IF FF they will start with a new FF version of the x100.

For X-Pro 2 they have only 2 options:
a) bring the same a X-E2, just with hybrid viewfinder, but closer to the X-E2 in price than the forst model. Not many are willing to pay 900 more just for the hbrid finder.
b) bring a Pro 2 with better sensor: More MP and
...Show more

Agreed: Pro 2 = different sensor with more MP , and greater differentiation from the E line.
Question: Isn't Nikon using Sony 24mp sensors in their DX cameras?

Oct 19, 2013 at 06:38 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Does the buffer clear more quickly with the XE-2? - that's one of the other annoyances I have with the XE-1.

Oct 19, 2013 at 07:38 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Yes. Far quicker, at least, the X-M1 clears far quicker and writes faster, and it has the same processor as the X-E2.

Oct 19, 2013 at 07:40 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

^ - that's good to know as its another thing that sometimes leads me to pick up the OM-D in favor of the X-E1.

I recently took the X-E1 and the OM-D on a trip and I took some comparison shots with each - its amazing how well the OM-D stacks up against the X-E1. I think I often prefer the Oly colors and I've grown to like 4:3 in many circumstances, plus the IBIS is really nice - and sometimes I swear that the Oly has better DR, esp in jpeg's. Once I start pushing shadows or shooting higher ISO's though the Fuji definitely jumps ahead of the Oly.

Oct 19, 2013 at 07:53 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

^ Oly colors over Fuji? I'd have to disagree, of course that's opinion. I will say I also like how the OM-D stacks up against the XE-1, but if I was anything over about iso 1600, Fuji all the way.

I really did like the m43 lineup and I must say, the EM-1 is calling my name. Argh.

Oct 19, 2013 at 08:57 AM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

michael49 wrote:
... I think I often prefer the Oly colors ...

I couldn't disagree more when it comes to OM-D Caucasian skin colors. When I go thru all the Oly OM-D pictures on Fredmiranda, I see many portraits of western people being B&W converted or many others having unrealisitic skin tone. I had invested (and lost) myself much in the OM-D and the skin tone results were for caucasian skin tone very diverse and unsatisfactory most of the time. This is the no 1 area where Fuji shines and this at least since their DSLRs.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
GRM
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

michael49 wrote:
I think I often prefer the Oly colors and I've grown to like 4:3 in many circumstances, plus the IBIS is really nice - and sometimes I swear that the Oly has better DR, esp in jpeg's. Once I start pushing shadows or shooting higher ISO's though the Fuji definitely jumps ahead of the Oly.

I too have an E1 and and Oly P5. To me the Oly colors look way over saturated. Most times I use it to convert the pictures to B&W

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

BokehBeauty wrote:
I couldn't disagree more when it comes to OM-D Caucasian skin colors. ....

For skin tones I prefer the Fuji, but for landscape, macro, etc I often prefer the Oly.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.