FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Drew Newell
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

ISO1600 wrote:
Haha I'd be surprised if any but the usual Fuji crowd/suspects buy this, outside of their upgrade cycle.
Seems like an apple release.

I'm buying and I've never used a Fuji product.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:06 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Imo it looks to be a nice rev 2 but thy should have added tilt screen.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:09 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

The reason I preordered is it addresses essentially everything that bugs me about the XE1.

The faster AF, if it really does work significantly better, may push me to move entirely Fuji except for macro and compact super telephoto work.

And then I might be able to get an A7 for my adapted lenses.

I'll be selling my X-E1 and keeping my X-M1 when the E2 comes in.

Edited on Oct 18, 2013 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:16 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jman13 wrote:
The reason I preordered is it address essentially everything that bugs me about the XE1.

Yeah maybe I'm just used to the "pain" if you want to call it that

Had it a tilt-screen, my XE1 would be up on the B&S right this moment. Alas, I'll either wait or just end up getting the A7r.

Either way, I'm not in any rush, my current gear works fine for my needs.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Yeah, the X-m1 has a tilt screen which works well, and I tend to grab that body for street work and the like, so tilt on the E2 isn't a big deal for me. Higher res screen + faster Vf refresh in low light + speed of the XM1 + WiFi + faster AF + PDAF for tracking + split prism manual focus = a pretty good upgrade.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:24 AM
momo_nyc

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

h00ligan wrote:
Imo it looks to be a nice rev 2 but thy should have added tilt screen.

me thinks so too...

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:27 AM
J_Andrew
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I hope this means an update to the X-Pro1 is in the works....

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
jim bennett
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Hmmm either wait for bargain X-E1 prices on the buy and sell forum or stretch & get the new model. Financial realities will probably have me choose option 1.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I do want a tilt screen. But I'll probably get this anyway for the other improvements.

I thought about the A7, but frankly that is nowhere near being a camera system yet. The initial lenses are not very interesting and on the large side.

Edited on Oct 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

cputeq wrote:
Wow an actual, negative preview from Ming. That's amazing to me.

I wouldn't call it negative. But let's be honest, Ming has a bit of an Olympus bias in his gear articles. Saying there's not much a price difference between the X-E2 and E-M1 is pretty crazy, given that the E-M1 alone costs more than the x-E2 kit.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

He's really bugged by the shutter button, but it's the same action as on all the Fuji cams, so no issue for me..I've adjusted to a point that I don't notice the 'slack' portion of the press, since that is depressed simply by resting your finger on the button...no pressing is involved, so it just feels like a normal 2 stage shutter to me.

I suppose if you expected that slack to do something, it would feel like a delay. Most of the previews are saying that AF speeds are competitive with most of the other mirrorless players, which is very encouraging. I don't expect it to match the GX7 or OM-Ds, but if it gets to NEX level, it makes the Fuji system so much more useful.

I'm also really looking forward to the digital split prism. Wonder how that works in practice, and if it works with adapted lenses.

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Here's a bit of big promising news, from Patrick LaRoque:
"as far as AF is concerned it’ll only get better: this pre-production model couldn’t make full use of the capabilities of the new hardware with the current generation of lens firmware. But my lenses were still much faster when mounted on the X-E2 "

That's awesome...AF speed improvements even before the lens firmware update to enable PDAF usage.

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jman13 wrote:
...[segue] I suppose if you expected that slack to do something, it would feel like a delay...

I spent most of a morning wondering about what's up with the "slack" on my RX100 shutter button. Turns out it was the two-second timer.

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:20 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Been there, done that

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:22 PM
MagicNikon
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

jim bennett wrote:
Hmmm either wait for bargain X-E1 prices on the buy and sell forum or stretch & get the new model. Financial realities will probably have me choose option 1.

Recent firmware updates have really turned the XE1 around, IMHO. Wait for the glut of them to appear on the buy sell, and get one. It's a great little camera. Spend the extra on a new lens.

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jim -

You can pre-order my X-E1.

Oct 18, 2013 at 04:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Oct 18, 2013 at 04:09 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

I happen to have a pre-production X-E2 right now. I wrote a little review for it as I tend to do. I did not like the X-E1 at all and am pretty much a X-Pro1 kinda guy.. but I like the X-E2.

::Review::

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Two of you have expressed consternation at the missing View Mode button. I'm somewhat perplexed. I can't imagine pressing a button every time I switched from the EVF to LCD. The eye sensor is a must in any EVF camera for me. Surprised that you and Patrick both manually switch constantly. I literally have used that button exactly once. When I first got my X-E1 and wanted to see what it did.

Thanks for the write up!

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fujifilm X-E2 16MP camera announced

Jman13 wrote:
Two of you have expressed consternation at the missing View Mode button. I'm somewhat perplexed. I can't imagine pressing a button every time I switched from the EVF to LCD. The eye sensor is a must in any EVF camera for me. Surprised that you and Patrick both manually switch constantly. I literally have used that button exactly once. When I first got my X-E1 and wanted to see what it did.

Thanks for the write up!

Since getting an X100 in May 2011, I've spent a considerable amount of mental effort in wondering what the frack is going on with my X100/X-Pro 1/X100s when I want to look into the EVF finder* or on the LCD, and there's nothing there!!

Turns out, I've been manually switching between the two, in order to save power. No sense in having the LCD on when you're not looking at the camera, eh? OTOH, I also switch the stupid thing off between 'sets', because it (they) start faster from a dead stop (i.e. off) than when trying to wake up the stupid things.

Like most other similar situations in the past, the stupid things are me.

Now, I set it (them) for eye sensor, and still switch it (them) off, between 'sets'.

At least, they all use the same batteries. Oh wait, no they don't.

* yes, I know.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.