Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Bosque Del Apache

injail
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Bosque Del Apache

Hello,

I"m planning to visit Bosque Del Apache to capture Crane, Sand Hill, .... I haven't been there. this is first time...

Does anyone give me information?
thanks

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Bosque Del Apache

Well I have never been there myself but I am sure someone has some info to offer, I sure see a multitude of great images come from that area!

Hopefully you will get some answers here soon.....................

Karl

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #3 · Bosque Del Apache

If Trenchmonkey doesn't jump in here I will be greatly surprised.....

So some minor suggestions and comments:

1. November is a madhouse. Arrival of the mass of birds, from cranes to ducks to geese, and lots of raptors. Arrival of approximately 1.43 cameras per individual bird. With over 50,000 birds on any one day, you can guess that it's standing room only in most areas. Pick December or January if possible. February is too late, northern migration is starting for all the species. FYI, I normally visit for a week during the full moon in January.

2. Stay in Socorro. It's only an easy 20 minute drive from the BdA. There is no nightlife, plan on using the evenings for editing your photos.

3. Eat a couple times at the Buckhorn and/or the Owl Bar in San Antonio, just for the admosphere. Besides, if you don't, people will make fun of you. I always skip the chilis on the burgers.

4. Warm clothes are mandatory. When the morning breeze picks up and it is 11 degrees f. it is no fun standing around with a frigid camera in your hands. I highly recommend chemical hand warmers in your coat pockets. Cheap and locally available.

5. Your biggest lens is mandatory. At least a 400mm, 500 would be better, along with a 1.4 telextender. Rent it if you have to. A second body with a 70-200 range zoom is HIGHLY recommended. Take a third lens in the range of 24-120 zoom for wide angle shots of the daily "blast offs" that have thousands of geese taking off nearly simultaneously. If you have an 80-400 zoom, it will work but you will still wish you had a big fast prime lens with a teleconverter.

6. Although Trenchmonkey shoots hand-held, he is a better man than I with the big lenses, plus he lives in the area and gets to shoot there a LOT. I recommend a good tripod with a gimbal mount, plus a nice rest of your choice for "out the window" work as you drive around.

7. Be there early, be there late. Note that the actual entrance has gate hours BUT the first couple miles along the highway as you drive into the refuge generally have birds available that you can work before the place officially opens and after sunset as well. Exactly where changes from year to year as the staff has to rotate which wading ponds and pools have water. PLUS, the extreme drought the last couple of years has definately affected the number of birds present.

8. Lots of deer, coyotes, and other wildlife to photograph. You can no longer go across to the eastern side of the refuge due to danger from the resident mountain lions. However, there are a couple of walking trails available on the southern loop which usually have good bird and animal sightings. Go in groups of at least two people.

If you have specific questions, go ahead and post them and answers will show up.

Gene

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Bosque Del Apache

Who's Trenchmonkey

Oct 18, 2013 at 04:14 AM
CAPT777
• •
p.1 #5 · Bosque Del Apache

Trenchmonkey is the keeper of knowledge for all things Bosque. Private message him and he will provide you directions, information and probably buy you a beer when you get there.

Doug

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:36 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Bosque Del Apache

Hola N&W compadres!! Yes, the 'monkey is THE BdA guru (despite what Artie tells ya)
Nice 'primer' you posted, Gene thx! as well as to Karl & Doug

OP: this should get ya started...there are already a few thousand around the MRGCD, I'll be shootin' w/those Fall BG's next couple of weeks.
http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/

Heads-up to anyone going...Bernie's (local secret) has been 'discovered' by Morris and his band of yes-men.

Seems someone here posted GPS co-ordinates and he'll be bringing his show there in Nov. He'll probably ruin it
for photographers who respect the wildlife/land just like he ruined BdA access we all once enjoyed. I've shot there
over 200 times since the 80's and surrounding private parcels that STILL remain relatively untouched. Follow the corn.

...from my driveway the other morning, "they're baaaack!!"
(Have a few openings left for BIF lessons/Guide services...PM/email for rates & dates)

riversbendphotography

NIKON D700    420mm    f/7.1    1/1600s    320 ISO    -0.7 EV  

riversbendphotography

A reminder....what the 1st of Nov looks like around the RG Bosque

NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/2000s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

riversbendphotography

....tho you might prefer the 1st of Decembers look

NIKON D3    280mm    f/5.6    1/640s    800 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Bosque Del Apache

^^^Ohhhhhh, Ahhhhhhhh,Eeeeeeeee these are a nice sight to seeeeee^^^^

Not this thread seems official!

Karl

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:00 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Bosque Del Apache

Oh what marvelous shots!! Looking forward to more from you all .

Birdie

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:19 PM
injail
• •
p.1 #9 · Bosque Del Apache

Thanks for yr information

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:21 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bosque Del Apache

Victor, when you come...please bring some clouds. Our pure blue skies
makes for a pretty boring BG on the overheads. Thanks!

NIKON D7000    420mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desert Drake
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Bosque Del Apache

Ah, Will,I just knew you were still kicking! You are right about them being back. They have been flying over the house for a week straight now heading for BdA NWR.
Al

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
injail
• •
p.1 #12 · Bosque Del Apache

Oh, Yeah Trenchmonkey
I will bring some from Texas. )

Have you guys taken Milky Way overthere? Please let me know

thanks for your infos
IJ

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Bosque Del Apache

Desert Drake wrote:
Ah, Will,I just knew you were still kicking! You are right about them being back. They have been flying over the house for a week straight now heading for BdA NWR.
Al

Howdy my friend...here's 10 more for ya!! (was workin' on the roof yesterday and just happened to have a camera)

riversbendphotography

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Bosque Del Apache

injail wrote:
Oh, Yeah Trenchmonkey
I will bring some from Texas. )

Have you guys taken Milky Way overthere? Please let me know

thanks for your infos
IJ

Excellent! You won't find any city light pollution @BdA...so on a cloud free night, you should be good to go.

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM
CAPT777
• •
p.1 #15 · Bosque Del Apache

Will,

The snow shot is great looks like Japan in late winter.

Doug

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Bosque Del Apache

CAPT777 wrote:
Will,

The snow shot is great looks like Japan in late winter.

Doug

Apprecite it, Doug. Corn it's what's for breakfast....hurry!!

NIKON D7000    420mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    320 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM
injail
• •
p.1 #17 · Bosque Del Apache

What time can I take the Milky Way?
Peak time for Milky Way

Oct 25, 2013 at 08:02 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #18 · Bosque Del Apache

The answer to this is highly variable, depending on exactly when you will be there, where in its cycle the moon is while you are there, cloud and wind cover conditions, and your camera gear.

In general, if you are in the 5 days centerd on the new moon, you can begin shooting successfully about 2-3 hours after sunset and shoot till about 2-3 hours before sunrise.

Anytime you have more than a small crescent moon (some 135+ times brighter than starlight!) in your picture, you cannot effectively image the Milky Way, so you have to find alternative compositions, like placing the moon at your back and letting it light a landscape feature with one exposure while you shooot a second exposure set for the stars (then blend them in photoshop).

What composition you want to work is also a significant factor, as light glow from the horizon (and it WILL be there if you aim north or south) will show up in long exposures.

If you have an I-phone I HIGHLY recommend you obtain the app "STARWALK." It is almost free and gives you lots of info and the ability to pre-compose your picture at any point in the night from any specific location - for any visible star, constellation, planet, or the Milky Way. It is amazingly simple to use.

Next, browse over to http://intothenightphoto.blogspot.com/ and work through his examples and links.

later,

Gene

Oct 26, 2013 at 01:18 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Bosque Del Apache

Best advice I can give you is listen to the MONKEY GUY.

Wacky roger

Oct 26, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Storm300
• • •
p.1 #20 · Bosque Del Apache

Da Monkey is da only one allowed to hijack a BdA thread with his sandie images . No BdA for me this season, I'm doing South Texas this year to photograph Whooping Cranes and whatever else I can get in my lens.

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password