Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Moving water and fall colors

Shappy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving water and fall colors

Hi All,

This is a 3 shot HDR with a polarizer filter. Kindly share your constructive criticism. Specifically I am curious what you think of the balance and composition of the scene.

http://shappy.smugmug.com/Photography/RandomStuff/i-fxtWDp7/0/L/DSC_7942_HDR-L.jpg

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:07 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving water and fall colors

I like it very much. Having the leaves gathered there on that rock really makes the image.

Oct 17, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Shappy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving water and fall colors

Thank you, Michael.

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moving water and fall colors

The composition works well for me, though I am curious why you decided to use HDR on a low contrast scene? You can just as easily take this photo with a single exposure.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moving water and fall colors

Nice intimate scene!

Oct 20, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Shappy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moving water and fall colors

@Ben Horne, Using HDR allowed me to get detail in the moving water as well as under the rocks. I have an image with better processing that shows this better. I will post when I move it to this machine.

Oct 21, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moving water and fall colors

Honestly: I think the composition, balance, and processing are just great. Really, not much way they can be improved. But even so, I don't think the scene generates too much interest for me, even though you composed it and exposed it (I love the water lines) perfectly.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Shappy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moving water and fall colors

Thanks for the feedback, Matt. I hope it I don't change my mind about it once it gets hung over my couch. It's at the printer now.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:26 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moving water and fall colors

The finished product here is pretty cool looking. But like Ben, I am curious as to why you needed HDR? I read your explanaton, from the lighting here it would seem that some simple shadow recovery would give you the detail you needed. Course, the end result you have is pleasing.

Jim

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Shappy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Moving water and fall colors

Here is a reworked version of the shot. I don't know that I *needed* to do HDR but then again, I don't know what the downside is to having done so. In this instance I feel I was able to capture more detail in the water and highlights around the leaves as well as in the dark areas around the rocks. Bottom line; my motivation to use HDR was to learn and experiment. Thank you All, for the comments!

http://shappy.smugmug.com/Photography/RandomStuff/i-bwDrJJw/0/M/DS_Stream_7942_Flat-M.jpg

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:52 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Moving water and fall colors

Composition is OK...but I'm feeling a little tight or confined by it. Don't know what was outside the frame, but I'd like to see a shot with more of the foreground rocks showing. Don't like those rocks being cutoff.

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:01 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.