Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · My 5000th Post on FM

waldr_p
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My 5000th Post on FM

Congratulations to waldr_p for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 10 votes - View Previous Winners

Hi All,

This is my 5,000th post on FM and so it seems like a suitable time to thank everyone else on the terrific N&W forum. Over the years your images and advice have inspired and educated me equal measure. Most of all though viewing such wonderful photo's of the awe inspiring world around us has given me great, great pleasure.

I think my photography has improved since I began participating in this forum. Your work really opened my eyes to what is possible and, whilst I still have a tremendous amount to learn, I'm really enjoying slowly move my photography forward.

Wildlife photography has become even more important to me since I was diagnosed with incurable cancer in April 2011. It is great to have a hobby that involves spending time in beautiful locations, watching nature's fascinating play unfold. I can really forget my situation in these moments. One of my great regrets is that my continuous treatment programme means that I am unable to travel outside of the UK now, how I miss the special trips my wife and I were able to take to Africa, India, Australasia and elsewhere before I was ill. The memories are great though and I know I'm lucky to have them. I love to see the images posted on the forum from far flung and exotic places. And as ever there is a silver lining to not being able to travel as I've been able to focus on some of the great wildlife closer to home.

I write a blog about my illness (though I can't resist throwing in a few photo's too), you can read it here.

And now I'll share a few of my favourite images, I've posted most of these before, I hope you'll indulge the repeat showing.

First a few from Africa (Uganda and Zambia):

1. Chimpanzee brothers playing in the Chambura Gorge:

2. Mountain Gorilla, Bwindi:

3. Martial Eagle, South Luangwa NP:

4. Leopard, South Luangwa NP:

5. Hippo squabble, South Luangwa NP:

6. Elephant mum and baby, South Luangwa NP:

And now to India:

7. Queen of the jungle, Kanha NP:

8. Indian Roller, nr. Satpura NP:

And back home:

9. This fish is having a very bad day:

10. Fox cub:

11. Puffin:

12. Badger:

13. Red Kite:

14. Ducklings heading for the water:

15. Little Owl:

16. Coot feeding chick

We all share a great hobby, thanks for your inspiring posts and for all your feedback on my own shots over the years, it has been very much appreciated!

Paul.

Oct 17, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My 5000th Post on FM

#5000!!

Hello my friend and a monsterous congrats on #5000 as well as to your gains in photography and presentation of it

At one time we all get plenty of nits, ask for plenty of help, learn by our mistakes, and learn from out mentors here. As we get better and absorb more we get less nits, less PM's and find our own confidence and style. The better ones never stop learning though Paul, you are one of those buddy

It has been a personal delight to see and share with you over the years and it is great that we all find motivation here for various reasons. I was unaware of your diagnosis in 2011 but am thrilled that you are still with us on your continuing journey, I do hope we all bring you a special inner strength and well being. There is a lot of good in what we all see in nature and how we share it, continue on and on my friend...................Got any Florals

Karl

I'll just let these images simmer a bit and enjoy them later at home

Psssst, finally got home and as I suspected......I fully approve of above images, I'll keep my nits to myself.........

Edited on Oct 18, 2013 at 02:47 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My 5000th Post on FM

Paul put simply "outstanding" series.

They do not get any better. Thanks for being a valued contributor to our forum.

Ted

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:20 PM
ScottHM
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My 5000th Post on FM

Congratulations on reaching 5000...I think we've all benefited from the photos and the insights from the people we've met here, and I've really only just started.
I enjoy the title and attitude on your blog, it's hard to deal with the situations life throws at us, but it's better for us and those around us to make the most of the time we have and enjoy it to the fullest. Wish you all the best, and hope to see many more photos from you.
Scott

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:24 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My 5000th Post on FM

Paul, I enjoyed each and every one. Congrats on 5K and I hope we get to see more of your outstanding work. This is a brilliant set and I hope each and every one lives in more than a computer hard drive and you have printed some or all for display.
Eric

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:32 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My 5000th Post on FM

Congratulations on # 5000. This shows you are a dedicated FM'er, or have nothing else to do. Jim

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My 5000th Post on FM

Paul,

Well done!

You are a fine contributor and a motivator as well. Congrats to the 5K as it is a target that I am still working towards. 5K will be a special number for me and thoughts of this thread will be weighted on my mind. We will be 5K FM friends from across the pond!

The set is fantastic and the connection you bring to nature (and other subjects) is priceless.

Your attitude and dedication are inspirational.

Again well done!

Brian

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:39 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My 5000th Post on FM

Well done on your 5k Paul. What a fantastic post to celebrate. I admire your skill and your courage. Here's to the next 5k
David

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:54 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My 5000th Post on FM

Paul, congratulations on 5000 ! Your post is a tribute to your talents and efforts, excellent work.
I find your blog full of inspiration and great strength. Thank you for being such inspiring works and words.

Birdie

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:09 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My 5000th Post on FM

Hi Paul,
A big congrats on your 5K post here at FM!
Your photos are stunning!
I also checked out your blog and agree with Birdie!
You are an inspiration! I also admire your courage.
You always are very kind at FM.
I am wishing you well!
BeeBalm

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My 5000th Post on FM

Hi Paul,

I have been resisting the urge to comment on FM the past week or so because it's kind of addicting, and I'm getting even more behind with my day job than usual, but seeing your post, I had to respond...

Congrats on the big 5K; it's inspiring to see your dedication, the continued benefits one reaps from being part of the community, and, of course, those amazing images. The standouts for me are #1, #9, and #16, in part because they're technically outstanding, and in part because the interaction between the subjects within each photo (even the KF+fish) is so accessible. (The hippos and elephants are very nice too, but for some reason did not have quite as much impact for me as the other 3).

I have also been inspired by occasional visits to your blog and reading the occasional post by Katie. Keep it up, and I'll look forward to 10K.

Greg

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:38 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My 5000th Post on FM

Your work is excellent, and like Birdie and BeeBalm, I too went to read your blog and find you inspirational. You have great courage too.

I look forward to your 50,000th post.

acjd

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:47 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My 5000th Post on FM

Paul, Congratulations on your 5000 post and thanks for sharing your wonderful images.
I'm sorry to hear of your illness and I hope you are able to continue your love for photography
and the great outdoors for as long as possible. Looking forward to the next 5000.

-Tim

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My 5000th Post on FM

Wow, Paul. Congratulate on your 5000th post. What a stunning set to set a milestone. I love them all from composition, interaction, details. . . I do learn a lot from you and other wonderful friends on FM. I really admire your courage. Stay strong and enjoy. I am waiting to see your 10000th, 15000th, 20000th post and much more.

- Tam

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My 5000th Post on FM

These are all tremendous. I think the puffin is on another level...

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:14 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My 5000th Post on FM

Paul, big congrats on the 5K!
It's a great collection you present here.
I didn't know about your illness and I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope you will be able to travel outside the UK again soon.
Being out in nature and loosing track of time while watching wildlife or trying to get an interesting angle on a fungi is time well spend for any of us.
Take Care.
Chris

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:40 PM
mikedec
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My 5000th Post on FM

Congratulations on 5000 posts.Enjoyed the images as well.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My 5000th Post on FM

It is super that you get to celibrate this milestone Paul. It is a pleasure sharing with you

Morris

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My 5000th Post on FM

excellent set for your 5000th post Paul.. nicely done

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My 5000th Post on FM

Each and every one of these is just super Paul. Congrats on 5000 posts too. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and hope that your prognosis improves ~ Ron

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password