1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

dasams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

mco_970 wrote:
I would be interested to see the lens just slightly stopped down. This all might go away and it could be super-stellar.

Was this shot taken at f2? If so, it must be really disappointing at 1.4

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

dasams wrote:
Was this shot taken at f2? If so, it must be really disappointing at 1.4

This is completely the WRONG kind of subject to shoot with a fast lens ... this is the kind of shot that should be done on a tripod at f/8 or f/11.

What I see is a shallow DOF effecting things further away as nearer objects are in the focal plain. There are so many things that can go wrong with a shot like this hand held with a fast lens wide open I would not even use it to judge the lens ... this is just silly.

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Peter Bui
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Andre Labonte wrote:
This is completely the WRONG kind of subject to shoot with a fast lens ... this is the kind of shot that should be done on a tripod at f/8 or f/11.

What I see is a shallow DOF effecting things further away as nearer objects are in the focal plain. There are so many things that can go wrong with a shot like this hand held with a fast lens wide open I would not even use it to judge the lens ... this is just silly.

You know what's silly? Nikon saying that the lens is supposed to do well with regards to coma for point light sources and then posting a shot at f2 with point light sources that show classic coma artifacts.

I personally don't care about coma since I shoot humans and not stars or cities. But something seems odd to me.

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:46 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

This was shot at f1.4
http://photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Nikon-58mm-f1.4G-Image-Sample-3.jpg

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:57 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Some more shots here http://photographylife.com/nikon-58mm-f1-4g-high-resolution-image-samples

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Peter Bui wrote:
You know what's silly? Nikon saying that the lens is supposed to do well with regards to coma for point light sources and then posting a shot at f2 with point light sources that show classic coma artifacts.

I personally don't care about coma since I shoot humans and not stars or cities. But something seems odd to me.

It is very difficult to reduce spherical aberration and coma at the same time in fast lenses. I have seen far worse coma from lenses with a high level of spherical aberration correction. Those coma levels are low for such a fast lens that is that sharp and well corrected for spherical aberration. You really have to zoom in to see it.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Why would you use a lens like this for cityscapes? For that sort of use you're typically constrained in camera positioning and having a lens like the 24-70 is far more useful, if for no other reason than to control faming. You'll stop it down anyway, so who cares how fast the lens is. Same with landscapes, it's not the right tool for that either.

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:10 PM
low325
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

I think the samples for this lens are superb. Echoing the comments about using this lens as a cityscape lens is bizarre indeed and then hate on how this lens is terrible based on those shots. I suppose I see the prejudge mental comments cause they're official images from nikon but the other samples look very very impressive. The 3D look and the bokeh(!) is insanely nice. I see nothing wrong with the price either. Heck I think it's crazy that the 200 f2 costs so much but hey if you need it you need it! If you can't afford this lens then there are other options for you.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Peter Bui wrote:

Me too. I shoot a lot of stars and city night shots and I was expecting a lot less coma based on what Nikon was saying.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

jhinkey wrote:
Me too. I shoot a lot of stars and city night shots and I was expecting a lot less coma based on what Nikon was saying.

Same here. ~50mm is my fav. focal length, so the promise of a fast 55 well-corrected for coma sounded great.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

low325 wrote:
.. I see nothing wrong with the price either. Heck I think it's crazy that the 200 f2 costs so much but hey if you need it you need it! If you can't afford this lens then there are other options for you.

+1
If you need it and you can afford it, then buy it. There are many more expensive lenses than this one.

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

jhinkey wrote:

Do you shoot scenes like this wide open and hand held or do you do it the right way, stopped down and on a tripod? I suspect that much of the coma will go away as the lens is stopped down.

Like spherical aberration, coma is more of an issue on faster lenses and is reduced as you stop down.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:41 AM
asiafish
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

I've been looking at there samples from this lens for some time, and finally pulled the trigger. GORGEOUS!

Sep 23, 2014 at 08:54 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.