Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

dgjean
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

ZoneV wrote:
I donīt say a 58mm lens is the best "normal" lens for everyone. It works well for me, but each has his own thinking and working. For tight spaces it is bad, there I love more a 35mm, but for sure a 50mm lens could be good too. For indoor portraits 58 works good.

Of course, any specific focal length is a matter of personal preference, but I've been using a Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 Ai-S for many years now and it seems the perfect focal length for night street shooting (for me). Much like a 50mm focal length was Henri Cartier-Bresson's favorite.

D3s and Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 Ai-S

A Room for the Night by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

The Return of The Mysterious Mister X by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

Vicolo Terraglio by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

D200 and Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 Ai-S

Porta Padova, Cittadella by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:37 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

NR posted a link to an interview with Nikon's lens design team about the 58mm. Most interesting comment is how they suppressed the resolution near MFD as a tradeoff for better bokeh transition at that range.

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/scenes/33/index.htm

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

pookipichu wrote:
What's with the belly-aching, there are multiple less expensive versions of the 50mm 1.4 that are reasonably good. High performance has a price, frankly I wish they had pulled out all the stops and made it even better for $2-$3k. With a high performance, auto-focusing 50mm, Nikon would have no real competition considering the Canon 50 1.2L is pretty lousy AND costs $1600.

The belly-aching on my part is that I've been waiting for a lens like this for years but was expecting a 50mm price. 50mm is just too short, but 58mm is just right.

Who knows, if I get a good bonus I spring for this lens.

I agree, performance costs $, but it seems like a lot of Nikon the new stuff is over-priced for what it is.

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Jason_Brook
• •
p.3 #4 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Andre Labonte wrote:
The belly-aching on my part is that I've been waiting for a lens like this for years but was expecting a 50mm price. 50mm is just too short, but 58mm is just right.

Who knows, if I get a good bonus I spring for this lens.

I agree, performance costs $, but it seems like a lot of Nikon the new stuff is over-priced for what it is.

Same boat. 60mm is a nice length, but 2.8 is too slow. This lens fills a huge gap for me. Oh well, tax returns will be soon enough

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:08 PM
bclarke4

p.3 #5 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong images, but how can we honestly judge the the lens by sample images that are 150 to 350 kb jpgs?
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/normal/af-s_nikkor58mmf_14g/sample.htm#sample5
I would wait until we get some higher resolution images up before we start calling it.
I think that price though is going to be way too high for most.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

bclarke4 wrote:
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong images, but how can we honestly judge the the lens by sample images that are 150 to 350 kb jpgs?

Most people that post on forums seem to do it with 900px jpgs

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.3 #7 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

I've always wondered why the 50/1.4G was so cheap and lacking in exotic glass (and not especially great) compared to the rest of the 1.4G line. I think a fast ~50 with some actual effort put into it fits into that line much better. Very surprised to hear people balking at the price.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:50 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

ZoneV wrote:
58mm is a very classic focal lenght.
Photo newbies probably donīt know lenses like the legendary Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2, Rokkor 58/1.4, Helios 44 58mm/2.0, Zeiss Biotar 58mm/2.0, Nikon Noc 58/1.2, Nikon 58/1.4, Voigtlaender Nokton 58mm/1.4, Canon FD 58mm/1.2 and probably more.

Back when I first got into photography, the Topcor 58mm f1.4 (usually mated to a Topcon Super DM) was THE lens for studio photographers who shot with 35mm gear...

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:53 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

bclarke4 wrote:
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/normal/af-s_nikkor58mmf_14g/sample.htm#sample5
I would wait until we get some higher resolution images up before we start calling it.
I think that price though is going to be way too high for most.

I wondered if there's a way to see higher res samples on the Nikon site, too.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:54 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.3 #10 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

If Sigma can make a 1.8 zoom, I'm sure they can make a 50 1.2. Do it Sigma, and show Nikon how you roll.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paulski66

p.3 #11 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

mco_970 wrote:
I wondered if there's a way to see higher res samples on the Nikon site, too.

Here's a link that was posted in the DPR forums; not full size, but significantly larger images from Nikon Asia. Alas, still not great shots.

http://www.nikon-asia.com/en_Asia/product/nikkor-lenses/fx-format/single-focal-length/normal/af-s-nikkor-58mm-f-1-4g#gallery

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Jason_Brook
• •
p.3 #12 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

For those wanting to see full-res
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonfrance/sets/72157636646334505/

Lee Saxon wrote:
I've always wondered why the 50/1.4G was so cheap and lacking in exotic glass (and not especially great) compared to the rest of the 1.4G line. I think a fast ~50 with some actual effort put into it fits into that line much better. Very surprised to hear people balking at the price.

My exact feelings as well, which is the void this 58 would be filling.

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:09 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Thanks for the full-res link at Nikon France.

Hmmm. Why are all the red lights in the first night cityscape shot looking like little flying airplanes? Is that coma or something else??

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Peter Bui
• •
p.3 #14 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

mco_970 wrote:
Thanks for the full-res link at Nikon France.

Hmmm. Why are all the red lights in the first night cityscape shot looking like little flying airplanes? Is that coma or something else??

That's coma. It isn't just on the red lights either.

From the lens designer interview they even try to claim that coma is reduced or eliminated, particularly for point light sources. But those sample pics clearly show that is not true. I don't get it why they would make such a public claim if it's not true.

What were the basic design concepts behind the development of the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G?

Sato: "There were two important elements. The first was to develop the basic design concept of the Noct Nikkor, achieving superior reproduction of point light sources as point images without distortion or fringes while retaining higher resolution than that of the Noct Nikkor.
To be exact, sharpness, contrast and resolution have been greatly enhanced even for shooting distant scenes. Especially, the lens' sharpness is overwhelmingly superior to that of the Noct Nikkor. Besides this, because sagittal coma flare is effectively reduced, the degree of point-light-source reproduction in the form of points has been further evolved to extend the range to the outer areas of the frame. Also, subjects located even at the peripheries can be depicted without edge distortion. Branches of a tree or parts of a car, for example, can be reproduced in a way that Noct Nikkor could not do as well. All of these factors make your shooting more comfortable. And unlike Noct Nikkor, you can attain these without stopping down the aperture to f/2.8, f/4 or f/5.6 but at the maximum f/1.4.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/17/nikon-af-s-nikkor-58mm-f1-4g-lens-additional-coverage.aspx/#ixzz2i14r15td

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:18 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Peter Bui wrote:

From the lens designer interview they even try to claim that coma is reduced or eliminated, particularly for point light sources. But those sample pics clearly show that is not true. I don't get it why they would make such a public claim if it's not true.

Thank you. I was confused after reading the interview and thinking this new lens was going to be coma-free, then seeing the red UFO's in the image. I don't get it either, but I am obviously not that well versed in optics. And I was born blonde, so there ya go...

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Bleh. It's a snoozer of an announcement, even if it had perfect MTFs. There's always Otus if you want OCD perfection at around this FL.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.3 #17 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

molson wrote:
Back when I first got into photography, the Topcor 58mm f1.4 (usually mated to a Topcon Super DM) was THE lens for studio photographers who shot with 35mm gear...

Thank you!
This lens looks great :-) And with the original hood even better!

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:46 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

Peter Bui wrote:

Yeah... I don't get this one. I mean, that cityscape photo shows a pretty substantial amount of coma for something that has been deliberately designed out from the lens. If there's something about that particular image that exacerbates the coma, well, okay, but why are they using it as a sample shot?

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.3 #19 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

So when is this lens hitting the street? Do you all think it will be sharper than the 50/1.4 when you are not focusing at MFD?

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:53 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G announced

While I'm sure its going to be a great lens, it just sits in a gap that over laps too many focal lengths I already have covered. 24-70, 50 1.4, 60 2.8. I may pick one up in the distant future just to play with it though, we'll see.

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:12 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password