Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!
Nikon unveiled its new D5300 midrange DSLR. This camera replaces the D5200, adding a new 24.2-megapixel sensor without an optical low-pass filter, a 3-inch articulated LCD, 1080/60p video, and built-in GPS & Wi-Fi . Nikon's new Expeed 4 processor reduces power consumption and provides 5 FPS stills.

The new D5300 will be available this month (in either black, red, or gray) for $799.95, and also offered as a kit with the new 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G lens for $1,399.95.

Pre-order:

Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR Camera: ($799.95)
Black | Grey | Red

Nikon D5300 w/ DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6GED VR Lens ($1,399.95)
B&H Photo | Adorama

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:43 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Looks like a great intermediate travel body. What's really interesting is that the kit lens is almost as expensive as the body, not saying it's not worth it but it doesn't rhyme well with "kit" lens

Exciting day for photographers that's for sure!

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

I know this body no surprise, but lack of a D400 is still disgusting.

EBH

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:53 AM
ocir
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Lol! Some of you really need to move on. The D400 is not coming.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:37 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Wow...another Nikon DSLR...I hate to say this but how many DSLR's is Nikon going to come out with this year?! 10...15...20? Hilarious...especially according to the Nikon's website it's the same price as the D5200!

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:31 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Looks like a great light body

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:21 AM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Disgusting?, .

Some people need really get a life.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:46 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Great news for me as I wanted to get my daughter the 5200. Now I hope the price will drop on the D5200!

kit lens looks a bit overpriced

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:52 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

It's sure cheap enough with THAT sensor but 1/4000th and no AF motor queers it for many, I'd imagine.

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:57 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

I don't get it ... the D5200 is still new and Nikon can't even get rid of all the D5100's. And then there is the gaping hole of a D300s replacement!

Bad Nikon, BAD!

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

GOVA wrote:
Disgusting?, .

I think Nikon uses the same argument. People need to move on. For those waiting for a prosumer crop sensor camera, buy the D800. It has a crop sensor mode. Same thing no?

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Thom Hogan sees the D5300 as a good sign! Not what I would have expected, but an interesting read for sure. If he's right, there are good things to come. I hope he's right.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-drops-the-d5300-on.html

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

GOVA wrote:
Disgusting?, .

the solitaire wrote:
I think Nikon uses the same argument. People need to move on. For those waiting for a prosumer crop sensor camera, buy the D800. It has a crop sensor mode. Same thing no?

No, it isn't the same thing, not even close. The TOL action cameras are pretty special cameras and always have been, at least the ones from Nikon. They are generally the only cameras in the lineup that can do it all, from the most mundane, no stress genre, up to high stress sport shooting.

The d800 is not a high level action camera, even in DX crop mode. Some folks can make it work okay on the less demanding stuff, like some wildlife and less stressful sporting events, but it is nothing like the d3 or d4 when it comes to shooting high stress sporting events.

BTW, I have owned and used the d300, d3s and d800 (along with others) for quite a while, so I understand the distinctions. I shoot everything from baby portraits to high stress sports. I'm not an expert, but I do have some kind of clue about the stuff.

I normally ignore these kind of comments because I don't understand why anyone that already has the camera that they want, have to make inane comments about and to the people that don't have the camera that they want. It isn't like people are asking for a pipe dream. Nikon already gave them exactly what they wanted in the last generation of cameras. Now they just want an upgrade, like all of the other models have gotten. Why you folks have to be mean about that, I haven't a clue, but you've sure added to my "Hide Me" listing.

Kerry

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Andre Labonte wrote:
Thom Hogan sees the D5300 as a good sign! Not what I would have expected, but an interesting read for sure. If he's right, there are good things to come. I hope he's right.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-drops-the-d5300-on.html

That's a rather interesting, if confusing article, Andre. I am not as good at reading tea leaves as Mr. Hogan, so I'll not add commentary to his, other than to say, I too hope he's right.

One thing I did find clear was his comment on his having used a 16mp camera and found it to be excellent and he offers that it is as much as most would want/need. I certainly agree with that. I bought both the d7k and the d5100 and really like the IQ from them. Maybe someday I'll get around to upgrading to the d5300, which has nice features, but not for a while.

Kerry

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

In today's world wifi is huge. THe ability to grab a shot and instantly put it on facebook or whatever makes this much more than just an image recording device. It is now an image *sharing* device. Just because I don't need to take a photo and share it immediately doesn't mean everyone is like me. Image sharing is the new "killer app".

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

I think I'll wait for the D5500, I'm sure it'll be out by December

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Kerry Pierce wrote:
That's a rather interesting, if confusing article, Andre. I am not as good at reading tea leaves as Mr. Hogan, so I'll not add commentary to his, other than to say, I too hope he's right.

One thing I did find clear was his comment on his having used a 16mp camera and found it to be excellent and he offers that it is as much as most would want/need. I certainly agree with that. I bought both the d7k and the d5100 and really like the IQ from them. Maybe someday I'll get around to upgrading to the
...Show more

Hi Kerry,

I think you described the situation perfectly. I just hope Mr. Hogan's read on the tea leaves is correct, because it implies a D400 ... strange as that seems.

With regards to the MP issue, 12MP is plenty for me. I have no issues for my needs which is why I love my D300 ... my only concern is that it is getting old and worn ... it would be nice to have a D400 to take advantage of all the latest generation goodness in a high-action body.

On that note, thank you for very elequently putting " the solitaire" in his place.

Cheers,
Andre

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

runamuck wrote:
In today's world wifi is huge. THe ability to grab a shot and instantly put it on facebook or whatever makes this much more than just an image recording device. It is now an image *sharing* device. Just because I don't need to take a photo and share it immediately doesn't mean everyone is like me. Image sharing is the new "killer app".

+100 ... all digital cameras from here on out should have wifi. To not have it is just silly.

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:20 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

Kerry Pierce wrote:
No, it isn't the same thing, not even close. The TOL action cameras are pretty special cameras and always have been, at least the ones from Nikon. They are generally the only cameras in the lineup that can do it all, from the most mundane, no stress genre, up to high stress sport shooting.

The d800 is not a high level action camera, even in DX crop mode. Some folks can make it work okay on the less demanding stuff, like some wildlife and less stressful sporting events, but it is nothing like the d3 or d4 when it
...Show more

Uh, I don't think anyone is making inane comments or being particularly mean...I just find it amusing that's all. I am sure I am not alone. There seem to be alot of unhappy Nikon users out there, I actually know several local photographers that are unhappy with their D600's and feel further slapped in the face with the release of the D610.

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:31 PM
CAlbertson
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Nikon D5300 DX-Format DSLR announced!

I think this is the first Nikon body that does 60P video. I decided I'd not buy another SLR until they did 60P as I need that before I can fully replace my camcorder. The articulated screen is needed too for video.

I doubt the WiFi is for Facebook. Really, it's purpose is to replace the USB cable and/or card reader. It will be good to have the images already downloaded into the computer. I wonder if it will do live view focusing via the WiFi. It would be heat to see and focus the image on my 27" iMac before I trip the shutter especially for the images I take though a microscope.

I may not buy this body but I am sure this feature set will be more common.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.