Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame
Samyang announced the release of a new series of Samyang lenses, for the Sony E mount, that works with both APS-C and full frame sensors.

Expected in the next few months various Samyang lenses will available with native direct fit Sony E-mount, for Sony NEX series and latest full frame Alpha models such as the Sony Alpha 7R and Sony Alpha 7. The following Samyang lenses will be available:
  • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
  • Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
  • Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UM
  • Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
  • Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC
Source: samyang-lens.co.uk

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:20 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

I wish they'll make the lenses more compact than the SLR counterparts, but I guess they'll just slam a tube behind the current SLR lenses and "tadaa here's the E-mount version".

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

More compact means more optical design challenges/compromises ... choose your poison.

But can you imagine the new Zeiss "no compromise" lens(es) on the A7R?

Oct 17, 2013 at 03:21 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

RustyBug wrote:
More compact means more optical design challenges/compromises ... choose your poison.

But can you imagine the new Zeiss "no compromise" lens(es) on the A7R?

I can imagine it(them) ripping the mount right off the camera since they are so heavy!

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:52 PM
artur5
• •
p.1 #5 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
I wish they'll make the lenses more compact than the SLR counterparts, but I guess they'll just slam a tube behind the current SLR lenses and "tadaa here's the E-mount version".

I bet they will.
That's fine for the 85mm. lens but, a 14/2.8 for mirrorless sticking out four inches from the body ?.
Compare that with the C/V Heliar 15/4,5 ..

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:18 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

I hope Samyang remembers to build in tripod mounts, at least on the 24 T/S. The others I can see using handheld, where you're holding the weight of the lens, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the T/S strictly handheld. I'm thinking it would do some serious damage just hanging off the mount.

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

artur5 wrote:
I bet they will.
That's fine for the 85mm. lens but, a 14/2.8 for mirrorless sticking out four inches from the body ?.
Compare that with the C/V Heliar 15/4,5 ..

4.5 vs. 2.8 ... yup that's apples to apples.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Matt Grum
• •
p.1 #8 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

freaklikeme wrote:
I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the T/S strictly handheld. I'm thinking it would do some serious damage just hanging off the mount.

That lens only weighs 680g, I highly doubt that would do serious damage to the mount (or any damage at all for that matter!)

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

freaklikeme wrote:
I hope Samyang remembers to build in tripod mounts, at least on the 24 T/S. The others I can see using handheld, where you're holding the weight of the lens, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the T/S strictly handheld. I'm thinking it would do some serious damage just hanging off the mount.

The addition of a tripod mount would be nice, particularly for shifting the sensor vs. shifting the lens. That way the optical projection would remain the same for stitching.

I suspect that it is going to be the same thing with just a different mount .. after all it's still going to be 24x36 to cover.

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Matt Grum wrote:
That lens only weighs 680g, I highly doubt that would do serious damage to the mount (or any damage at all for that matter!)

That's not all that light. It's the same weight as the FD 85/1.2L and 200g+ heavier than the 24-70/4 FE. I wouldn't hang it off the NEX-7 or smaller. It wouldn't even take that much to stress the mount out of alignment. The A7/r may or may not have a problem with it, but I'd still be cautious. TS lenses are long and front heavy anyway. The further forward you move that weight away from the mount for adaptation, the more pressure you place on the mount. The new Alphas may be robust enough to handle it. They certainly look more robust than the NEX-7, but I would still exercise caution.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Matt Grum
• •
p.1 #11 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

freaklikeme wrote:
That's not all that light. It's the same weight as the FD 85/1.2L

It's 130g lighter than the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom lens for APS-C which I image plenty of users are hanging off the front of their plastic entry level APS-C DSLRs.

freaklikeme wrote:
and 200g+ heavier than the 24-70/4 FE.

If Sony themselves are marketing a lens, with no tripod collar, that is within 250g of seriously damaging the mounts on their cameras then I think they need to re-examine their safety margins.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Matt Grum wrote:
It's 130g lighter than the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom lens for APS-C which I image plenty of users are hanging off the front of their plastic entry level APS-C DSLRs.

But they didn't make one for the NEX, did they?

Matt Grum wrote:
If Sony themselves are marketing a lens, with no tripod collar, that is within 250g of seriously damaging the mounts on their cameras then I think they need to re-examine their safety margins.

It's not just about the weight, it's also about the distribution of the weight, right? I wouldn't make any assumptions about what any mount can and cannot support without holding it in my hand first, but particularly not with a brand new tiny camera.

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:52 AM
Matt Grum
• •
p.1 #13 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

freaklikeme wrote
It's not just about the weight, it's also about the distribution of the weight, right?

You're right the weight distribution or more importantly the distance between the mount and centre of mass plays a role, in fact a long enough 680g would rip the mount off a professional DSLR, but I don't think we're in that territory.

Picking my Canon 100L macro up, which is about the same weight and length as the Samyang 24 TS it just doesn't feel like it ought to be able to do damage to the mount. Especially not with a metal body A7r.

However given it's a TS lens you'd probably want to buy the Canon or Nikon version and put it on an adaptor with a tripod socket so you can shift the camera independent of the lens. This will also take any strain off the mount (and any adaptor slop you can compensate for with the tilt mechanism, so it's a win all round )

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:02 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Matt Grum wrote:
You're right the weight distribution or more importantly the distance between the mount and centre of mass plays a role, in fact a long enough 680g would rip the mount off a professional DSLR, but I don't think we're in that territory.

Picking my Canon 100L macro up, which is about the same weight and length as the Samyang 24 TS it just doesn't feel like it ought to be able to do damage to the mount. Especially not with a metal body A7r.

However given it's a TS lens you'd probably want to buy the Canon or Nikon version and
...Show more

I hope you're right, because there are plenty of big heavy lenses I'm planning to mount to it and would be nice not to have to baby it like I do with the NEX-7.

The magnesium front of the a7r will be nice, but what sold me over the 7 was the cutaway showing the internal frame construction. The a7 seems to rely a little too heavily on the strength of the composite shell for my comfort.

Are you planning to get one, Matt? Do you plan to use your Canon lenses?

Oct 26, 2013 at 04:46 AM
BA-photos
• •
p.1 #15 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Does anybody have idea about supposedly full frame cine lenses, particularly 85mm T1.5 Aspherical Cine Lens in E mount? There is an attractive ebay deal for $250

I had tried Canon EF versions of 35/1.4, 85/1.4 and 14/2.8 long time ago and all were good lenses for the price.

Oct 26, 2013 at 05:30 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

Same optics as the 85/1.4 in a cine-lens body with clickless aperture and geared focus and aperture control.

Oct 26, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Matt Grum
• •
p.1 #17 · Samyang lenses for Sony E-mount Full Frame

freaklikeme wrote:
Are you planning to get one, Matt? Do you plan to use your Canon lenses?

Yes I will be getting an A7r at some point early next year. I'm interested in a high resolution but more importantly wide dynamic range body but I'm also looking for a lighter setup for travelling so this is pretty much the ideal camera for me.

I'll keep my 5DIII for weddings, low light work (I tried an a99 last year and the EVF wasn't good enough for low light, for me at least). I'll use the A7r with my Canon glass via an adaptor for anything else. I'll pick up a FE mount wide prime when they release one to make a very lightweight landscape camera, maybe pick up a few cheapish small 35/40/50mm rangefinder lenses for travelling.

It is going to be strange shooting with both systems at first. I'll still be buying new lenses in the Canon EF mount, but if the A7r produces the goods reliably then the 5DIII might be the last DSLR I ever own!

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password