New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

Cgb628

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

What's the proper way to use this? I see a lot of people telling me it's bullshit and doesn't soften the light, and the rest are suggesting to use large diffusion materials away from the light. Important information: I mostly shoot portraits with a single B800.

These: http://www.paulcbuff.com/df6.php

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:51 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

the goal of diffusion is to make the apparent light source larger. If the diffuser is only the size of the source, it can't do anything but dim the light. It will cut down spectral highlights caused by the shiny reflector, but won't do much for softening.

You need to move the diffuser away from the source, and make it bigger than the source for it to have the desired effect.

Oh, and if you really want to use that stuff, buy it by the sheet from Roscoe or at a lighting/theatrical supply store.

<Chas>

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

I haven't used that either, but Chas is correct, the only way to soften light is in the size of it in relation to your subject. Since they are selling it in 8x10 sheets, I'm assuming they want you to use them in the gel holder that goes on their basic reflector. I have the holder and use it with colored gels for a background light. An inexpensive way to get nice, soft light would be a 45 inch umbrella like a photogenic eclipse.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

cwebster wrote:
the goal of diffusion is to make the apparent light source larger.

Not necessarily. There can be many other reasons for using diffusion. For instance, you may just want to reduce the specularity of the light source without changing the size. I'll often use a light diffusion layer in combination with gels on my background lights to smooth out reflector pattern anomalies and hot-spots.

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:48 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

Cgb628 wrote:
What's the proper way to use this? I see a lot of people telling me it's bullshit and doesn't soften the light, and the rest are suggesting to use large diffusion materials away from the light.

If the goal is to create soft light on the subject, then yes -- the only way is to make the light source larger in relation to the subject. So in that case this device wouldn't be effective.

But if the object is to increase the light spread to cover a larger area, then a diffusion material close to the lamp can do that; that's why many Speedlites and Speedlights come with flip-down "wide angle diffuser" panels.

Also, as mentioned, it can smooth out the light and reduce hot spots, which can be important if the light is used close to a subject.

Once one understands the causes and effects of light and lighting, one can often see uses for devices that one wouldn't have thought of, and on the flip side see through marketing hype and spot the ones that don't do what they claim.

One of the best sources of this knowledge is found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0240812255

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:38 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

Let's say that you want to use a shoot through umbrella with your AB800 from 2.5 feet away (for quick fall off) and you want to shoot at 2.0. If you check out PCB's output expectations ( see below), then you'll discover that, even when used in a soft box-a bigger light suck than a shoot through, you're still looking at somewhere around f4 at minimum power from that distance. So that's where diffusion and neutral density gels can save the day. Or just buy an Einstein, which has four more stops of range.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/output.php

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paul C Buff Litemod diffusion gel

mattdoebler wrote:
Let's say that you want to use a shoot through umbrella with your AB800 from 2.5 feet away (for quick fall off) and you want to shoot at 2.0. If you check out PCB's output expectations ( see below), then you'll discover that, even when used in a soft box-a bigger light suck than a shoot through, you're still looking at somewhere around f4 at minimum power from that distance. So that's where diffusion and neutral density gels can save the day. Or just buy an Einstein, which has four more stops of range.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/output.php

Then I'd use a piece of ND gel directly in the softbox or on the strobe in the shoot-through umbrella. Diffusion gel will cut the light by fractions of a stop, ND gel is available in full-stop increments up to at least 3 stops (don't know about darker than that, I've only used up to 3-stop).

<Chas>

Jan 20, 2014 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.