New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 70D other than live view and video

tony rizzo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70D other than live view and video

Has any one used the 70D other than live view and video. I have read some reports that rave about live view and video. But I have not seen much info on using the camera without live view and video just shooting in the normal modes. Any info would be appreciated. I currently shot &D and Marklll.
Thank You Tony Rizzo

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:09 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70D other than live view and video

Understanding that you're asking about the stills capability of the 70D, why exactly would you purchase one? Where does your interest lie, given the 7D and 5D III (I think) in your kit?

I can say that, in addition to the bodies you currently have, disregarding video/live view, the 70D would give you a lighter-weight body than the 7D with better image quality across the board and nearly as flexible autofocus that'll be a little more consistent overall. Is that what you're looking for?

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:18 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70D other than live view and video

+1 - AF appears to be more consistent than 7D, though less customizable. Noise is also better.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:23 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70D other than live view and video

I think the specific question of its autofocus performance using the optical viewfinder has not been definitively answered--at least in my opinion. It's essentially a slimmer version of the 7D's autofocus (without spot or expansion points) but with an upgraded processor that might improve performance. I haven't used the 70D, so I can't give a user's perception. It might be some time before there is a reliable consensus on whether there has been any significant improvement.

Brian M.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70D other than live view and video

It'd be sad if the 7D with it's dedicated AF processor is not as good as the 70D that lets digic do it all. Canon should analyze what's going on if this is the case and issue a FW update with revised AI servo algorithms IMO.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:44 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70D other than live view and video

Pixel Perfect wrote:
It'd be sad if the 7D with it's dedicated AF processor is not as good as the 70D that lets digic do it all. Canon should analyze what's going on if this is the case and issue a FW update with revised AI servo algorithms IMO.

I think processing capability has far less to do with it than market posturing; and I don't think that the 7D is going to get any better.

It is a bit foolish to compare the meager capabilities of five year old dedicated processors to a modern processor when we don't actually know what the exact capabilities of either setup really are.

In either case, the 70D has been shown to be very consistent, readily outperforming the D7100 and 7D in general sports/action AF consistency, while the effects of the lack of spot/expansion AF modes, if any, has yet to be run down by the community.

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:14 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 70D other than live view and video

the 70D has been shown to be very consistent, readily outperforming the D7100 and 7D in general sports/action AF consistency

I'd be interested in some links to reviews where this has been definitively demonstrated. Not saying it isn't the case, but I haven't seen anything so far that convinces me of your claim.

John

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:58 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 70D other than live view and video

BluesWest wrote:
I'd be interested in some links to reviews where this has been definitively demonstrated. Not saying it isn't the case, but I haven't seen anything so far that convinces me of your claim.

John

John. I own both and the 70D is, in my eyes, the better focusing cameera overall. Ive only done some basic tests, but BIF sofar is much better, and Af consistency on single shot is also much better.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 70D other than live view and video

BluesWest wrote:

John

I'm not sure there is anything definitive, but I have no doubt about my personal experiences with the two cameras and my keeper rate (mostly U12 and U9 sports) has gone up.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 70D other than live view and video

johnctharp wrote:
I think processing capability has far less to do with it than market posturing; and I don't think that the 7D is going to get any better.

It is a bit foolish to compare the meager capabilities of five year old dedicated processors to a modern processor when we don't actually know what the exact capabilities of either setup really are.

In either case, the 70D has been shown to be very consistent, readily outperforming the D7100 and 7D in general sports/action AF consistency, while the effects of the lack of spot/expansion AF modes, if any, has yet to be run down
...Show more

So you'd say the 5D III and 1 series don't really need their extra AF CPU's its all just marketing BS? After all, 5D III and 1D X have digic 5+ like 70D, which you say has more than enough power.

I'll grant a single digic 5+ may have more than enough grunt to match dual digic 4 + AF CPU, but I suspect there's more to it. Maybe they have improved the actual AF sensors on the 70D and improved the algorithms.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 70D other than live view and video

Bryan at TDP seems to have tried the 70D in various servo AF applications with multiple lenses and had this to say:

"While I'm not ready to trade the 70D's AF system for the one found in the 1D X and 5D Mark III, I do think the 70D's AF system is at least as good as the 7D's AF system and better than all other Canon APS-C AF systems before it."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-70D.aspx

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 70D other than live view and video

BluesWest wrote:

John

More strolling YouTube than written reviews- more because those seem to be lacking than anything else, both in content and numbers. But here's two pieces I picked up- first, when it comes to outright tracking, the D7100 is lacking; the 70D just works. Compared to the 7D, well, look around. Anyone that's used it at it's limits will readily let you know about those frustrations. The 70D has the 'simplest' AF of the lot, and it likely isn't as good as either of the others for specific use cases such as tracking in the middle of a group, but for hitting a clear moving target? Everything I've seen shows it as moderately to severely better.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 70D other than live view and video

Pixel Perfect wrote:
So you'd say the 5D III and 1 series don't really need their extra AF CPU's its all just marketing BS? After all, 5D III and 1D X have digic 5+ like 70D, which you say has more than enough power.

I'll grant a single digic 5+ may have more than enough grunt to match dual digic 4 + AF CPU, but I suspect there's more to it. Maybe they have improved the actual AF sensors on the 70D and improved the algorithms.

I'd say we have no idea- both cameras are older designs, and again, we don't know what 'Digic anything' actually means, other than that it's a marketing bullet point. But if I had to guess, I'd say a little of both- the 'Digic 5+' doesn't have to actually be more 'powerful' than the cluster in the 7D, as it has less AF capability to manage overall, given the decreased flexibility in the 70D; but there's little doubt that the algorithms used to manage the AF module have been updated, as could the module itself be 'updated'.

Either way, it works, which is the point I think .

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM
tony rizzo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 70D other than live view and video

Thank everybody for your input and suggestions and review sites. I will be purchasing the 70D and will provide my own update in a few weeks.
Tony Rizzo

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.