FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              89      
       91              152       153       end

Archive 2013 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Ron Pfister

Upload & Sell: Off
p.90 #1 · p.90 #1 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Ron Pfister wrote:
It's a shame we can't properly evaluate the smearing from these images. I don't mind fixing vignetting and color shift in post, if necessary...

Never mind - I just discovered that you can still access the full-res version in the new flickr UI. There's definitely something wonky with that adapter. Difficult to draw conclusions regarding corner resolution from these samples...

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Ron Pfister

p.90 #2 · p.90 #2 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

philber wrote:
If it is a Zeiss FE, artur5, it is very likely to be have AF...

I believe Zeiss stated that they will be releasing a line of FE MF lenses, beginning in late 2014. Anyone have the source?

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.90 #3 · p.90 #3 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Part of me is very much in line with Douglas @ this goes right along with my mantra of the wider you go, the tougher it gets ... choose your poison @ closer + wider = steeper trig.

But, an additional corollary of WA/UWA with that is the criticality of the adapter ... @ the wider you go the more critical it becomes as well. Combine that with the possibility hard stop (missed) focus, and who knows for sure how well this accurately represents (horseshoes and hand grenades may apply though). I'm not saying that I expect a better adapter to change the overall aspect of closer + wider = tougher ... but there might be some hope for nominal improvement at different set of images (including different lighting conditions) for some FL's.

"The color cast isn't too bad"

It isn't too good either.

Would be curious to see how the little Oly's compare ... particularly for those who are diminutive oriented.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.90 #4 · p.90 #4 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Makten wrote:
#1: The adapter is obviously fucked up since sharpness is not the same at all corners and many infinity shots are out of focus (maybe the photographer used the hard infinity stop, which probably is well beyond infinity optically).

#2: The a7 and a7R seems to give exactly the same amount of smearing with every lens (wohoo! ).

#3: The a7 gives a lot less vignetting and color shift.

I left a comment in his a7R set asking how he determined correct focus and where in the scene it should be... hopefully he'll reply... looking through his flickr stream a lot of his Audi touring and California photos are with the preproduction camera(s) with probably Sony A lenses. Seems he's a pretty diehard Sony user (though also a Ricoh GR in the mix) and sure gets around! There's another Sony camera in his stream named XXX-000...

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.90 #5 · p.90 #5 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

artur5 wrote:
My five cents :
Scenario A:
If you plan to build from scratch a setup for an A7r, don't buy ANY RF wide.
Scenario B:
if you already own some wide RF glass, use those above 24mm. cropping the corners a bit when the subject needs sharpness across the frame (landscape ..) IMO 26 or 30 Mpixels are still plenty for most uses and a ZM28 turned into a ZM32 isn't bad either.

That said, a MF Zeiss FE 25/3.4 ( performing like a ZM25/2.8 in a film camera) is what I'd like for Christmas 2014...

Scenario C:
If you already own some wide RF glass, use those on the M9 or M240 and don't look back.
Scenario D:
If you already own a 24mm elmar ASPH, sell it to me for a really low price since its almost useless on the sony.

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:52 PM
rera

p.90 #6 · p.90 #6 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Photos are starting to pop up at flickr. a7 + ZM 35/2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sushicam/10868836884/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sushicam/10868548935/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sushicam/10868840864/

m rokkor 40/2

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:01 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.90 #7 · p.90 #7 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

philber wrote:
)

Zeiss came out shortly after the A7/r camera introduction stating a) they didn't expect top performance from their ZM rangefinder line on the A7/r cameras and b) they would introduce a line of manual focus FE class E mount lenses. IIRC end of 2014 time frame.

Point (a) didn't surprise anyone that owns ZM Biogons I'm sure, however hopeful those of us that owned the lens might have been, but it was refreshing to hear a rep talk so plainly and point (b) encourages me, oddly, because the happy-accident principle of small full frame lens support for digital cameras just isn't sustainable IMO. I'm glad to see Zeiss feeling confident enough in E mount and FE class lens prospects to want to build what I guess will be ZM/ZF.2 class lenses for E mount. Yay. More Choice.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:57 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.90 #8 · p.90 #8 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Design-wise their target is of course Leica M. I believe the newer CZ MF lenses will be very special, better than the now eight year old ZMs...much has changed with Zeiss, viz. RX1 Sonnar, FE 55mm and Otus, all from the last 15 months. These new MF lenses will have a known sensor target and full feedback from partner Sony, who can be expected to be very keen to further establish themselves as a premium brand.

That sounds very much like the final solution...and an extremely good reason to see the a7r as a longer term proposition. It will also entrench FE full frame as the image connoisseur's choice of format because it alone covers the rich history of past FF lenses (except the M wide angles) and the future releases by no doubt many makers. Not many will be downsizing, as mirrorless just turned itself inside out.

Michael, Zeiss are working on them now:

'We are currently working on manual focus lenses for these new full-frame CSCs. They will have an interface to provide EXIF data to the camera. They are expected to be in stores by the end of 2014. However, we cannot provide any additional infos right now.'

Await those infos with great interest!

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.90 #9 · p.90 #9 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

douglasf13 wrote:
I can't help but toot my own horn a bit and link to a post that I made from July, because I've been saying this for a while.

aren't you also the guy who said sony would never make this camera and there was no market for it?

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.90 #10 · p.90 #10 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

artur: send whispered invocations to Zeiss and Dr Nasse as follows:

'make a wide angle FE prime, make a wide angle FE prime...'
'drop the wide angle zoom, drop the wide angle zoom.'

that is the mantra needed. Except I think Sony has heard the amplified message already, so they can take up the mantra themselves.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.90 #11 · p.90 #11 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Bijltje wrote:
If you already own a 24mm elmar ASPH, sell it to me for a really low price since its almost useless on the sony.

Where does that info come from, Bijltje? I have been highly intrested in this, but have not yet noticed any such pictures

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:08 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.90 #12 · p.90 #12 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

philber wrote:
Where does that info come from, Bijltje? I have been highly intrested in this, but have not yet noticed any such pictures

I suspect that info comes from where the sun don't shine,

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Ron Pfister

p.90 #13 · p.90 #13 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

More food for the hungry: http://sushicam.smugmug.com/Other/Sony-A7-test-images

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:55 AM
artur5
• • •
p.90 #14 · p.90 #14 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

philber wrote:

OK. you're right..FE are Zeiss branded Sony lenses. Let's leave it then on ZXX 25/3.4

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:17 AM
turnstyle
• •
p.90 #15 · p.90 #15 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

One peeve I have with manually focusing E-mount lenses on NEX (and I believe this holds for FE on a7/a7r) is that Focus Assist automatically zooms in when you turn the focus ring.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:32 AM
hakkamukka

p.90 #16 · p.90 #16 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

I am pretty sure you can disable it, as you can on the RX1.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.90 #17 · p.90 #17 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

philber wrote:

I used the 24 elmar on the A7r last Tuesday. The edges showed clearly smearing wide open, closing down to f/5.6 helped but not enough.
Unfortunally I could not take pictures with me. We looked them up on the computer in the store.

Unusable is perhaps a bit exaggerated, but knowing the lens on the M8 and M9 its quite a drop with these bad corners.

uhoh7 wrote:
I suspect that info comes from where the sun don't shine,

Your right, inside the store I could not find one sun. Not even one!! Let alone a shining sun.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:46 AM
turnstyle
• •
p.90 #18 · p.90 #18 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

hakkamukka wrote:
I am pretty sure you can disable it, as you can on the RX1.

If you disable it on NEX, you can no longer zoom in at all -- can you disable the automatic zoom on RX1, but still have the option press a button to zoom in when you want? (I was under the impression you couldn't.)

Thanks...

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:58 AM
hakkamukka

p.90 #19 · p.90 #19 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Yes, in the RX1 you can assign a button to toggle it back on manually. It then gives you a bounding box which you can move so you can choose where to zoom before it actually does it. Half pressing the shutter then takes you out of MF Assist.

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:17 AM
turnstyle
• •
p.90 #20 · p.90 #20 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

hakkamukka wrote:
Yes, in the RX1 you can assign a button to toggle it back on manually. It then gives you a bounding box which you can move so you can choose where to zoom before it actually does it. Half pressing the shutter then takes you out of MF Assist.

Oh, that's good news, as that has been one of the most annoying things about manually focusing with an e-mount lens on NEX (for me).

So, to sum up -- on RX1 you can disable the automatic zoom in when you turn the focus ring (lens set to manual focus) -- and you can still press a button to engage Focus Assist. Right?

I gather one downside on RX1 is that you don't get Peaking when zoomed out? From what I understand so far, you do get Peaking zoomed out on a7/a7r...

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.