Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              60      
61
       62              152       153       end
  

A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses
  
 
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #1 · p.61 #1 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Lee Saxon wrote:
Hmm, Steve Huff says the focus peaking is great on the A7/r. Makten, have you used it on other cameras such as the A99 that you could compare it to?


Well, Huff says a lot of things that doesn't make sense. In this case I'm sure it depends on what lens is used. I never liked peaking on the NEX-5N either (never tried it on the RX1 because of AF). Not accurate enough and doesn't help at all in magnified view.


Spyro P. wrote:
Damn u Martin, that 40 is my favourite lens of all time...
you wouldnt happen to have a photo of the lens on the camera? (how it handles, how big it is with the adapter, easy reach to the rings and tab etc)


Martin Agfors shot some images of the camera with both the 40/2 and 35/1.2 on it, so perhaps I can make him post them here. The C is very, very small but handles well since the adapter puts it a bit out from the body. The tab is needed for focusing and works fine (you can't use the ring, it's far to narrow). Aperture is controlled at the front, and is easy to reach and work with.

Don't forget the 0.8 m MFD.



Nov 05, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Spyro P.
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #2 · p.61 #2 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


yeah I dont care, I like having oof things in the foreground, I'm not a sharp headshot kind of guy
f* now you're gonna make me start thinking about sony cameras again... did you notice anything else that is off putting? like putting the camera on aperture priority and getting a stupid message that says "aperture priority is commonly used for beautiful effects like background blur"
(I saw it in someone's RX1 today and pissed myself laughing )



Nov 05, 2013 at 11:16 AM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #3 · p.61 #3 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


What Really Can you turn those messages off?


Nov 05, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Spyro P.
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #4 · p.61 #4 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


probably, dont know, it wasnt my camera


Nov 05, 2013 at 11:34 AM
waterden
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #5 · p.61 #5 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Another vote of thanks from me for the Summicron-C 40/2. Like others here I ave the Rokkor-M version and it is one of my favourite lenses. It works beautifully on my NEX-7, which camera is a bit of a trial for any classic lens, and so does my Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 so I'm sure both will be fine on the A7(R). That I shall buy one is beyond question, which though? That will partly depend on how good the A7 IQ is because I don't print large enough for 36mp but equally important will be the compatibility with legacy lenses. Steve Huff suggests the A7 will be better in this regard, in which case the choice will be easy, but I think I shall wait for a few more user reports like this before deciding. Of course the ideal may turn out to be an A7R with Rokkor-M 40/2 plus an A7 with my Leica Elmarit-M 90/2.8 but buying both bodies is probably OTT. I am still surprised, btw, by the relative cheapness of both these astounding lenses.


Nov 05, 2013 at 11:35 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #6 · p.61 #6 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Spyro P. wrote:
... like putting the camera on aperture priority and getting a stupid message that says "aperture priority is commonly used for beautiful effects like background blur"
(I saw it in someone's RX1 today and pissed myself laughing )


Sounds like my RX100.



Nov 05, 2013 at 12:35 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #7 · p.61 #7 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


waterden wrote:
Another vote of thanks from me for the Summicron-C 40/2. Like others here I ave the Rokkor-M version and it is one of my favourite lenses. It works beautifully on my NEX-7, which camera is a bit of a trial for any classic lens, and so does my Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 so I'm sure both will be fine on the A7(R). That I shall buy one is beyond question, which though? That will partly depend on how good the A7 IQ is because I don't print large enough for 36mp but equally important will be the compatibility with legacy
...Show more

I just picked up the Minolta . . . can't wait to receive it!



Nov 05, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #8 · p.61 #8 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses



Sony a7R by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr



Sony a7R by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:06 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #9 · p.61 #9 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Makten wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/10689294416_000535fe22_o.jpg
Sony a7R by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3718/10689295066_5a3970ea88_o.jpg
Sony a7R by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr


Martin,

The A7r handled and balanced very well with my Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lens when I was at PhotoPlus on October 24.

Rich



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:11 PM
ulrikft2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #10 · p.61 #10 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Makten wrote:
The CV Nokton seems to have a lot of trouble going on as soon as you focus a bit further away. The bokeh gets harsher and nothing outside the center is sharp. I don't know if it's due to the design of the lens, or how it works with the a7R sensor, but I guess it was made for portraits and/or similar PJ stuff.

These results are exactly what I saw with my previous copy on film, and on the NEX-5N. You could say it's versatile, if you are willing to stop down to ~f/4 or so at distance, if
...Show more

I use the 35/1.2 as a PJ lens wide open (portraits, isolating stuff) and stop down to f4-f5.6 when I want all around sharpness on my nex-7. Hopefully I can use it like that on a coming a7r too.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:16 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



ulrikft2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #11 · p.61 #11 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Makten wrote:
The CV Nokton seems to have a lot of trouble going on as soon as you focus a bit further away. The bokeh gets harsher and nothing outside the center is sharp. I don't know if it's due to the design of the lens, or how it works with the a7R sensor, but I guess it was made for portraits and/or similar PJ stuff.

These results are exactly what I saw with my previous copy on film, and on the NEX-5N. You could say it's versatile, if you are willing to stop down to ~f/4 or so at distance, if
...Show more

I use the 35/1.2 as a PJ lens wide open (portraits, isolating stuff) and stop down to f4-f5.6 when I want all around sharpness on my nex-7. Hopefully I can use it like that on a coming a7r too.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:16 PM
uhoh7
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #12 · p.61 #12 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Spyro P. wrote:
probably, dont know, it wasnt my camera


Of course u turn it off day 1---unless u have no clue--- in which case u deserve it.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:34 PM
alwang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #13 · p.61 #13 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Makten wrote:
Edit: To me, the most important news here is that none of these lenses give any significant color shift. And that the C doesn't smear! All of the aberrations seen, mirrors what you get on film, so they are optical defects of the lens, not of the camera-lens system.


Are you sure? It looks to me that the C is very clear out to the edges, but that the extreme corners (looking at lower corners) do smear a bit? But I"m not really familiar with how this lens behaves on FF/film.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Crop it to a 50mm fov, and it's just about perfect.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:39 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #14 · p.61 #14 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


alwang wrote:
Are you sure? It looks to me that the C is very clear out to the edges, but that the extreme corners (looking at lower corners) do smear a bit? But I"m not really familiar with how this lens behaves on FF/film.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Crop it to a 50mm fov, and it's just about perfect.


Crop it to 50mm and it probably isn't worth going FF in the first place.



Nov 05, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Spyro P.
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #15 · p.61 #15 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


thanks Martin!


Nov 05, 2013 at 02:01 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #16 · p.61 #16 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


alwang wrote:
Are you sure? It looks to me that the C is very clear out to the edges, but that the extreme corners (looking at lower corners) do smear a bit? But I"m not really familiar with how this lens behaves on FF/film.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Crop it to a 50mm fov, and it's just about perfect.


I don't think that is smearing in the lower corners. I could be wrong, but that may be due to DOF, the camera/lens not being perfectly level or aligned, or possibly lens curvature in the extreme corners.

Rich


Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions



Nov 05, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #17 · p.61 #17 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


alwang wrote:
Are you sure? It looks to me that the C is very clear out to the edges, but that the extreme corners (looking at lower corners) do smear a bit? But I"m not really familiar with how this lens behaves on FF/film.


It would be very strange if a so small lens was sharp to the extreme corners, even stopped down. I bet this is how it works on whatever sensor, and IIRC, it does the same on film.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Crop it to a 50mm fov, and it's just about perfect.

Yeah, I tend to crop everything to ~4:3, so it doesn't matter. And if you view the image at some sort of normal size (a large screen), it's a very small portion of the frame that is unsharp.



Nov 05, 2013 at 02:29 PM
alwang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #18 · p.61 #18 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


douglasf13 wrote:
Crop it to 50mm and it probably isn't worth going FF in the first place.


I'm probably exaggerating: it's only the very extreme corners where I'm seeing an obvious falloff. Let's call it 45mm: that's still a much more useful equivalent focal length to me than 60mm on APS-C.

However, I should say, my Contax G28 (42mm equiv) on a NEX-5N has much sharper extreme corners. I don't expect the Cron C to beat the G28 in center sharpness (few lenses do), but I definitely would want my A7/r solution at that focal length to be at least as good cross-frame. Luckily, I'm pretty sure the G45 will be.



Nov 05, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #19 · p.61 #19 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


alwang wrote:
However, I should say, my Contax G28 (42mm equiv) on a NEX-5N has much sharper extreme corners.


Yes, but it's also a much larger lens and you don't use the full image circle. I wouldn't even think of the Summicron-C if it wasn't for the tiny size of it, and the relatively large max aperture. The FE 35/2.8 will surely beat it and is small enough.



Nov 05, 2013 at 02:40 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #20 · p.61 #20 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses


Makten wrote:
Yes, but it's also a much larger lens and you don't use the full image circle. I wouldn't even think of the Summicron-C if it wasn't for the tiny size of it, and the relatively large max aperture. The FE 35/2.8 will surely beat it and is small enough.


But then again the FE 35 f2.8 doesn't offer an aperture ring and there is that whole thing with AF lenses using manual focus by wire. Has anyone tried the manual focus on the FE 35mm f2.8?

Makten wrote:
It would be very strange if a so small lens was sharp to the extreme corners, even stopped down. I bet this is how it works on whatever sensor, and IIRC, it does the same on film.

Yeah, I tend to crop everything to ~4:3, so it doesn't matter. And if you view the image at some sort of normal size (a large screen), it's a very small portion of the frame that is unsharp.


Also, for something to consider regarding the extreme corners of the Leica C 40mm f2 Summicron is that if you were to print and frame an image much of the lack of extreme corner sharpness would be under mat boards using conventional preparation or in the rabbit of the frame if putting a metal print directly into a wooden frame.

Rich


Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 03:20 PM · View previous versions



Nov 05, 2013 at 02:55 PM
1       2       3              60      
61
       62              152       153       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              60      
61
       62              152       153       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password