Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              102      
       104              152       153       end

A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.103 #1 · p.103 #1 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

michaelwatkins wrote:
I can see the marketing campaign: A7r, the best crop camera for your Leica wides ever!

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.103 #2 · p.103 #2 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Phillip Reeve wrote:
My A7 arrived some hours ago!
I performed an initial test with the G28.
On the display I couldn't see any color shift (distance to the target was about 1m) and vignetting was well behaved.
The lens suffers from massive field curvature. At f/2.8 when I focus the corners and they are somewhat sharp but the center is totally blurred.
I will have the images developed in about 1 hour.

Great news Phillip! I'm really looking forward to your results... Mind you, you could make a Kodak Brownie look stellar!

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.103 #3 · p.103 #3 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

uhoh7 wrote:
well one rumor from somebody who has some contacts is that the real Leica killer is yet to come, but it's going to cost.

This one is just a toy for xmas

"Leica killer" - what a joke....

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:46 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.103 #4 · p.103 #4 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inikon/10864368143/in/set-72157637668801615

I really like how the 35/1.2 v2 samples look stopped down!

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 06:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:49 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.103 #5 · p.103 #5 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Gary Clennan wrote:

Not a killer, but certainly these cameras are opening up peoples eyes and putting pressure on Leica and all of the major players in the industry.

Rich

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.103 #6 · p.103 #6 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I will perform both tests. Right now it is dark outside.

Unfortunately, if your 1m test looks like that even mid frame....

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.103 #7 · p.103 #7 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Not a killer, but certainly these cameras are opening up peoples eyes and putting pressure on Leica and all of the major players in the industry.

Rich

Yep - for sure. Competition is indeed a good thing but this camera will not put Leica out of business. It will hurt sales a bit though. I like to view it as a new trend which will hopefully evolve over time with other manufacturers joining in the mix with great products. Exciting times though for us alt users.... The true test (for me) will be when FM members start posting awesome images with this camera. Most on the net have been uninspiring but I think it will be much different in the weeks to come.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:52 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.103 #8 · p.103 #8 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Gary Clennan wrote:
Yep - for sure. Competition is indeed a good thing but this camera will not put Leica out of business. It will hurt sales a bit though. I like to view it as a new trend which will hopefully evolve over time with other manufacturers joining in the mix with great products. Exciting times though for us alt users.... The true test (for me) will be when FM members start posting awesome images with this camera. Most on the net have been uninspiring but I think it will be much different in the weeks to come.

In my mind though, the A7 and the A7r are the R Solution (at least to this point) that Leica promised and could or would never deliver.

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.103 #9 · p.103 #9 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Gary Clennan wrote:

I think to be a Leica killer, you have to have Leica killing glass, not just an awesome sensor ... what you project and what you capture/record are two pieces of the puzzle that can't escape one another.

Very old school ... but "glass rules" (i.e. optical projected image) and I think that the incredible variation of results that we've seen throughout this thread on the detail monster A7R hints that it still holds true today no matter how great the sensor is. If the projected image is killer stuff, the extra detail of the sensor reveals it. If the projected image is not as good as we may have otherwise thought ... oooops, the extra detail reveals that too. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

+1 @ Rich ... R glass on A7R could be sweet, but that would be another thread.

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:06 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.103 #10 · p.103 #10 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

RustyBug wrote:
I think to be a Leica killer, you have to have Leica killing glass, not just an awesome sensor ... what you project and what you capture/record are two pieces of the puzzle that can't escape one another.

Very old school ... but "glass rules" and I think that the incredible variation of results that we've seen throughout this thread on the detail monster A7R hints that it still holds true today no matter how great the sensor is.

We have yet to see what any or just about any Leica R lenses can produce on these sensors. It is going to get very interesting when those of us that have the glass start to post results.

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DamonJoyce
• •
p.103 #11 · p.103 #11 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Phillip Reeve wrote:
okay, maybe i was a bit optimistic
a cheap Minolta MD 2.8/28 for comparison:

I'm surprised an SLR 28mm would perform so poorly. I thought that SLR lenses would work well when RF ones did not.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.103 #12 · p.103 #12 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

DamonJoyce wrote:
I'm surprised an SLR 28mm would perform so poorly. I thought that SLR lenses would work well when RF ones did not.

Depends on which SLR lens you're talking about. The Minolta MD 28/2.8 is exactly top shelf slr WA glass.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:12 PM
briantho
• • •
p.103 #13 · p.103 #13 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Phillip Reeve wrote:
okay, maybe i was a bit optimistic

a cheap Minolta MD 2.8/28 for comparison:

Grats on the new camera!

Those results look rather disapointing, and surprising (Minolta MD). Looking forward to more tests in the coming days/weeks.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:16 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.103 #14 · p.103 #14 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

Thanks, Phillip! I wasn't really interested in the Biogon anyway, but any thoughts I had about picking up a cheap Minolta MD 28 are now gone.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.103 #15 · p.103 #15 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
We have yet to see what any or just about any Leica R lenses can produce on these sensors. It is going to get very interesting when those of us that have the glass start to post results.

Rich

+1 ... the difference between 28mm and 47mm (reg distance) is HUGE in trigonometric terms for WA/UWA angles of incidence to cover 24x36 out to 43mm.

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 07:21 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:19 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.103 #16 · p.103 #16 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

RustyBug wrote:
I think to be a Leica killer, you have to have Leica killing glass, not just an awesome sensor ...

Nah, not necessarily. For me a Leica killer is all about a reasonably small system with a large sensor. The main reason I never got the M9 was the rangefinder, since I want to see what the camera sees. If the a7 or a7R gives me the same IQ that I can get with my D700 and MF SLR lenses, using smallish SLR wides and perhaps a few longer (+35 mm) RF lenses of decent quality, I'm gonna be happy. And I'm probably not alone.

Yes, Leica glass is awesome, but much too expensive in most cases (even if I could afford it if I really wanted). In fact, I would buy one of these cameras even if I only could use the humble Voiglšnder 40/2 Ultron. It's gonna give me more of what I want than any Leica glass can do on a crop sensor. But I guess the Summicron-C will be glued to the camera most of the time if the Ultron does't prove to be much better.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.103 #17 · p.103 #17 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

I suppose the definition of "Leica Killer" would need to be defined/qualified in empirical performance terms vs. preferential ergonomic terms vs. economical option terms vs. terms ... not like we'd ever come to a consensus on that either.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.103 #18 · p.103 #18 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

briantho wrote:
Grats on the new camera!

Those results look rather disapointing, and surprising (Minolta MD). Looking forward to more tests in the coming days/weeks.

Unless the Minolta is a floating element design, it very well may perform better at distance rather than at 1m. I don't really find that result terrible.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:27 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.103 #19 · p.103 #19 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

I'm starting to worry my R28 v2 won't be great neither... It wasn't super great on NEX-7 and it seems
to be parallel to how it is on A7R... Damn, I'm seriously thinking about canceling my order. I have a couple of days
I guess as it's starting to ship here soon.
On the other hand it will probably be great with my CV125 APO and longer M glass. Still, I have no time
to deal with pink corners on most of my shots...

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:27 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.103 #20 · p.103 #20 · A7/A7r - performance with WA RF lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

There are people shooting with R lenses on a99s and D800es (as well as every other FF camera) now. Are you expecting different results?

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password