1       2      
       4              122       123       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
I don't see it making any discernible difference to the final results.

I think you wrote "the final results" as opposed to "my final results". If you don't need it, fair enough. Others definitely do.

There are also some people who I agree just chase the latest and greatest.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
...as there is always the pleasure of new toys...

Don't forget that some of us have been waiting what has seemed like an eternity for an affordable compact fullframe camera. And you can add to that the suspicion, rightly or wrongly, that Canon have been holding back on such a body when they are perfectly able to produce such a camera.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
$2000 for a camera that doesn't natively fit my lenses - it's not exactly cheap? As what pixel count Canon may come up with - how much do you really need, and how do you know what they plan anyway? Of course, if the most important thing is chasing the latest, greatest pixel count, you are already on a hiding to nothing - I don't see it making any discernible difference to the final results. Not that I don't understand it, as there is always the pleasure of new toys...

Robin, if you don't need the extra pixels and dynamic range, then you should be happy with what Canon supplies today. Why do you come onto a thread and slag others that can use the extra pixels and dynamic range.

You truly cannot see how a landscape photographer can benefit from this camera?

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM
howard
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

chez wrote:
Robin, if you don't need the extra pixels and dynamic range, then you should be happy with what Canon supplies today. Why do you come onto a thread and slag others that can use the extra pixels and dynamic range.

You truly cannot see how a landscape photographer can benefit from this camera?

+1

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I don't want or need FF or an EVF.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Bones74 wrote:
You requested a

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">field review
? Looks pretty good. A little like the D800E and D600, but smaller.

Yeah, very interesting. Good overall introductory video.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

You're all writing about how well suited it is for our EF lenses, but I haven't seen any adapters announced? What am I missing? Are we just assuming that there will be good quality adapters? Or...

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I like what Sony is offering. Won't be getting one for multiple reasons. But competition is good. Canon needs to work harder: produce small FF DSLRs which are affordable. And stop the crippling, for goodness sake!

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

retrofocus wrote:
When will this happen with this kind of Sony price tag - in 2016?! And then with 36 MPixel which is outdated then again? Let's see if Canon announces something with much improved sensor specs when they finally launch such camera....for $2200 or less of course

Have to keep in mind that you are paying $2300 (not 2200 as most are saying) for a camera back. Great for landscape and product shooters, but probably not many other people. Would be terrible for action or wildlife and probably not a great setup for wedding shooters either. So, $2300 for a high MP back for landscape sounds like a great deal as a second body for a specific part of your needs. Most, probably all, Canon users will keep another Canon body to natively use their lenses in situations that the Sony isn't suited for. I can't see many people switching their full system to Sony. The new cameras use the same mount but the old lenses won't cover the FF view, so you would need the new ultra expensive Zeiss lenses or yet to be announced Sigma lenses.

With that in mind, I would prefer one body that handles all my needs. So, a Canon can be priced higher since you wouldn't need multiple bodies to meet your needs. But, maybe my needs are more niche than the group that is happy to have multiple bodies and lens systems. I think Sony was clearly targeting the adapter crowd with this body, not trying to convert people to a full Sony system.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
$2000 for a camera that doesn't natively fit my lenses - it's not exactly cheap? As what pixel count Canon may come up with - how much do you really need, and how do you know what they plan anyway? Of course, if the most important thing is chasing the latest, greatest pixel count, you are already on a hiding to nothing - I don't see it making any discernible difference to the final results. Not that I don't understand it, as there is always the pleasure of new toys...

Dude, if we were truly chasing the latest and greatest pixel count, we would be shooting Nikon since February 2012. And besides, it's not all about the pixel count. For me it is more about the image quality at base ISO, and this is where Canon has truly failed lately, while the competition has leaped forward.

Cut the BS and accept that different photographers have different needs. I've waited long enough for Canon.

Stoffer wrote:
You're all writing about how well suited it is for our EF lenses, but I haven't seen any adapters announced? What am I missing? Are we just assuming that there will be good quality adapters? Or...

There already are.

One of them can be seen in this video around 11:25.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Shrunken D600/d610 and a D800. Hahaha.... Without the shutter woes. Nikon tsk tsk tsk...

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

There already are.

One of them can be seen in this video around 11:25.

Thanks, I forgot any of the present E to EF adapter like the Metabones should work already.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
subjectochange
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I'm excited to see higher end Canon glass adapted for use on high megapixel cameras now. Lenses like the TS-E 17, 24 haven't had their resolution limits pushed on Canon's current lineup.

Also, being able to use Leica M lenses at full frame coverage without the M-body is very intriguing. Aside from the rangefinder focusing aesthetic, the A7/A7r could be a very attractive $4000 savings.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

"Why do you come onto a thread and slag others that can use the extra pixels and dynamic range."

It's a free country: my view is as valid as anyone else's - this my opinion. I think that you will find your landscape photos almost entirely unchanged going from, say a 5D3, to the new Sony 36 MP. Any differences seen will be entirely by you when pixel peeping. This is perhaps important to you, but I doubt anyone else would see the differences unless they join you in studying your monitor. If the high ISO performance is radically improved then you might see some noticeable change, but I doubt this will be the case and as far as I know high ISO is not usually the style for a landscape shooter.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin, you are entitled to express your opinion.

My opinion is that you have no idea what you are talking about. High resolution and dynamic range (especially without Canon's trademarked shadow banding) is like bread and butter for landscape photography (and all kinds of static photography work.)

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Looks like Fuji is about to join the war with a compact Fuji X200 Full Frame camera. And with on sensor stabilization.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-rumor-counterattack-from-fuji-full-frame-x200-coming-in-2014/

Fixed lens.. But who knows.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:17 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
"Why do you come onto a thread and slag others that can use the extra pixels and dynamic range."

It's a free country: my view is as valid as anyone else's - this my opinion. I think that you will find your landscape photos almost entirely unchanged going from, say a 5D3, to the new Sony 36 MP. Any differences seen will be entirely by you when pixel peeping. This is perhaps important to you, but I doubt anyone else would see the differences unless they join you in studying your monitor. If the high ISO performance is radically
...Show more

Robin, I print my landscapes large. My latest one I printed out was 4'x7'. At those sizes you better believe there is a difference with more pixels...not to mention better dynamic range. I rented a D800e for a week and seen what was possible with more pixels.

Have you ever shot with a higher pixel camera like the D800? Have you ever even processed a file shot from a higher pixel camera? What about made a large print and compared the details to a lesser mpix camera? I really don't think you have done any of this...but you have such an opinion on the subject...how come?

I think your ignorance about the need of other people's photography is starting to show through. My advice to you either to open up your mind and see that other people's needs are different than yours or just back off if you have no interest in a high pixel camera. Continuing down the path you have gone so far is just being immature.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:36 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I'm guessing pretty cool news for the hardcore street photography community.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:56 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Maybe this is why Canon has been so quiet with the M? Caught with their pants down by Sony?? If they can give me a full frame mirrorless that I can put my EF lenses on and didn't kill the price I'd buy it.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

cineski wrote:
Maybe this is why Canon has been so quiet with the M? Caught with their pants down by Sony?? If they can give me a full frame mirrorless that I can put my EF lenses on and didn't kill the price I'd buy it.

I hope so. But I was saying the same thing when the D800 came out, flexing it's high resolution and superior dynamic range.

Oh look! Canon caught with their pants down.

But after nearly two years I'm starting to think that they don't really care that their pants are down. Canon is too busy cooking up more video features, making video lenses and flirting with the video crowd.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:29 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.