Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              116      
       118              121       122       end

Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

herion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.117 #1 · p.117 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I *really* do want to take the plunge with an a7 or an a7R - I am concerned about the plastic mount in the a7 and the kickback on the a7R. I was in B&H today and there is a definite bounce on the a7R.

My big worry tho is about the MB III/IV adapter - there seems to have been a number of QA/QC problems with them - either too tight or too loose. Has the QA/QC improved with the MBIV? (btw, B&H is now selling the MBIII for 379 and the MBIV for 399)

Jun 27, 2014 at 08:22 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.117 #2 · p.117 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Herion yeah I have too many issues like you.

Being in New Zealand I can't go returning half a dozzen addaptors until I get a good one.

May wait till the refresh, d810 has electronic first curtain and base iso 64

Jun 27, 2014 at 08:33 PM
herion
• • •
p.117 #3 · p.117 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Rob,

I'm a Canon guy - I'm hoping something will be announced at Photokina this Fall - I'm in no rush to switch right now... I took my time with an EOS-M and I'm very happy with it!

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM
eheffa
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.117 #4 · p.117 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

kezeka wrote:
Has anyone ran into a problem where their a7 or a7r hangs on a black but still backlit screen after taking a photo for 20+ seconds or until you restart the camera? I have also run into problems where the camera will take 10-20 seconds to wake from sleep a few times a day. Needless to say, I have missed some great photos because of these "crashes". Have only been using a metabones III adapter with the 35L and 85L in manual focus. Really like the a7 otherwise. The shutter is way quieter than my SLRs, particularly with the electronic
...Show more

Yes.

I only get this with the Metabones adapter & no other adapters or native FE lenses.

Twisting the MB on & off fixes it.

-evan

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.117 #5 · p.117 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

herion wrote:
Rob,

I'm a Canon guy - I'm hoping something will be announced at Photokina this Fall - I'm in no rush to switch right now... I took my time with an EOS-M and I'm very happy with it!

I don't consider shooting with the A7R a switch...After all I still have all my Canon lenses and bodies.

Jul 23, 2014 at 09:29 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.117 #6 · p.117 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Tn4gI7U_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjsG1NlGMo

Jul 26, 2014 at 07:00 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.117 #7 · p.117 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Tn4gI7U_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjsG1NlGMo

Interesting to watch - no news to me but certainly good to hear it from other presenters. I fully believe that the trend is to smaller mirrorless systems, but still in some areas a DSLR can be superior (fps, AI Servo/AF tracking). But even those current advantages in DSLRs will fade away with future mirrorless systems. Depends on the needs what is better for each one currently. I have the feeling that my Canon 5D MkII was the last DSLR camera which I bought.

Jul 26, 2014 at 08:38 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.117 #8 · p.117 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

kezeka wrote:
It might be sharper but you always loose something with the adapters. No free lunches and whatnot.

That's why it's nice that some of the Sony lenses have the adapter built in, like the 70-200 f4 OSS.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Flav
• •
p.117 #9 · p.117 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

There are some very clear advantages that Trey Radcliffe is talking about in that video, the most interesting for fine art and landscape photographers is the focus accuracy that you can achieve.

Mark Dubovoy from Luminous also speaks to this advantage, and he mainly works with large format and digital backs nowadays, he's a big geek(I mean this in the best possible way) or savant, when it comes to everything regarding camera technology.

I was curious though, with the LA-EA4 adapter, is the sensor doing anything to improve focus, or is it just the adapter,

I'm looking at some nice Minolta glass I'd like to buy, but I wouldn't sacrifice accuracy for speed or comfort. I figure if it's just the adapter that's focusing, many issues can arise with the fact that it's a separate element, you're bound to have it displaced a few microns every time you mount it on the camera... Anyone know anything about the focusing? Is it aided or not by the sensor?

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:55 PM
curious80
• • •
p.117 #10 · p.117 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I am pretty sure LA-EA4 works like a traditional phase-detect AF as found in DSLRs and DSLTs. There is no role of the sensor in it. That also means that the traditional back-focus / front-focus issues that can come up in DSLRs, can also come up with these adapters.

I hope that in future Sony enables the LA-EA3/LA-EA1 to make use of sensor based PDAF in the cameras which have on-sensor PDAF. Using those instead of LA-EA2/LA-EA4 would get rid of the light loss from SLT mirror as well as allows the hybrid focusing combining PDAF + CDAF for greater accuracy.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Grum
• •
p.117 #11 · p.117 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

curious80 wrote:
I am pretty sure LA-EA4 works like a traditional phase-detect AF as found in DSLRs and DSLTs. There is no role of the sensor in it. That also means that the traditional back-focus / front-focus issues that can come up in DSLRs, can also come up with these adapters.

I was thinking just the other day that picking up the LA-EA4 adapter and Sony 135mm f1.8 ZA would be great for weddings/events, but then you reminded me of the reason I abandoned DSLRs in favour of full frame mirrorless: far too many shots ruined by front/back focus issues.

I'll have to learn how to manual focus really fast if I want to get back into weddings...

Edited on Aug 01, 2014 at 08:20 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.117 #12 · p.117 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I think that's one of the things I love with my A7r and manual lenses. If the focus is wrong it's because I screwed up. Period. No more trying to outguess back/front/recompose/field curvature/florescent lighting/can't/won't/wtf/time of the month/phase of the moon/etc problems with camera focusing systems. It's just so easy to troubleshoot!

Only if you have the time of course. If not then it's back to DSLR's and the old game of 'what the heck went wrong that time' focusing.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.117 #13 · p.117 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Beni wrote:
I think that's one of the things I love with my A7r and manual lenses. If the focus is wrong it's because I screwed up. Period. No more trying to outguess back/front/recompose/field curvature/florescent lighting/can't/won't/wtf/time of the month/phase of the moon/etc problems with camera focusing systems. It's just so easy to troubleshoot!

Only if you have the time of course. If not then it's back to the old game of 'what the heck went wrong that time' focusing.

Beni -- You're saying that if you are shooting on-the-fly in manual focus, that this methodology is not practical? That only systematic, and preferably tripod-mounted, provides 100% results? How does that fundamentally differ from typical magnified LV performance with a DSLR?

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:23 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.117 #14 · p.117 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Huh? I'm saying that when I'm focusing manually, if it's OOF then I can immediately and always pinpoint what went wrong. I screwed up focusing. Unlike auto focus where you sometimes you're pulling your hair out finding out why on earth it didn't work.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:31 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.117 #15 · p.117 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't consider shooting with the A7R a switch...After all I still have all my Canon lenses and bodies.

Exactly...it's just a Canon compatible landscape camera. Not a switch at all, rather an addition.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.117 #16 · p.117 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Beni wrote:
Huh? I'm saying that when I'm focusing manually, if it's OOF then I can immediately and always pinpoint what went wrong. I screwed up focusing. Unlike auto focus where you sometimes you're pulling your hair out finding out why on earth it didn't work.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point.

I guess I'm on the other side of this matter: Unless I have a stable mounted camera with extreme magnification, I find my manual focus, via viewfinder, to be more erratic than a well adjusted auto focus camera for hand held shooting.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.117 #17 · p.117 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Oh it is what it is, for when you have time or are experience focusing with peaking. Focusing accurately stopped down is rather difficult I find using magnification hand held from f4 it get's tough. Too much DOF.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:49 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.117 #18 · p.117 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Beni wrote:

Only if you have the time of course. If not then it's back to DSLR's and the old game of 'what the heck went wrong that time' focusing.

+1, from zebra, zooming and peaking system - sony cam no longer dealing with back/front focusing and under/over-exposed. Neither 1ft nor miles away

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:19 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.117 #19 · p.117 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran wrote:
+1, from zebra, zooming and peaking system - sony cam no longer dealing with back/front focusing and under/over-exposed. Neither 1ft nor miles away

Even as addition I have to say that I find the zebra function pretty useless. I find the zebra lines more distracting than helpful for focusing even at lower zebra percentage values. I stick to the focus peaking and the magnification tool.

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.117 #20 · p.117 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

retrofocus wrote:
Even as addition I have to say that I find the zebra function pretty useless. I find the zebra lines more distracting than helpful for focusing even at lower zebra percentage values. I stick to the focus peaking and the magnification tool.

I believe zebra is not a focusing tool. It's an exposure aid and I find it very useful for video.

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password