Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              114      
       116              121       122       end

Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.115 #1 · p.115 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

rmlewis wrote:
Hi All

Just purchased an A7R with MetabonesIII adapter to add to my 5D MkIII and L lenses. I've been impressed with what I have read here and elsewhere. I mainly do Landscape so I am looking forward to using my 17mm TS-E and 16-35 II on the A7R.

I am keen to hear what people think of this camera and if the 5D MkIII survived in your camera bag for long after buying the A7R.

Rob

Rob, we all after the IQ aren't we. Hope you enjoy your latest addition. I love the A7R files so I did trade in my last 5d2 for the second A7R. All my other dinosaur canon DSLRs will fill in the AF and speed whenever I need anyway. Nice to have this option and work around the problem.

Edited on Jun 08, 2014 at 05:16 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.115 #2 · p.115 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran wrote:
Rob, we all after the IQ aren't we. Hope you enjoy your latest addition. I love the A7R files so I did trade in my last 5d2 for the second A7R.

Reasonable idea - I was thinking also in the same line and to have one additional A7R converted to infrared which I do a lot. I am not there yet since for IR my FF Canon 5D MkII is good enough, but in the future.....less weight, less bulkiness, smaller lenses, increase in resolution.....then I would only hold on my TSE, ultra-wide angle, and fast Canon lenses.

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:32 PM
secondclaw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.115 #3 · p.115 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

A7R and L lenses go like a slightly unbalanced bread and butter ... the TS-E 17mm has practically not come off my A7R since the day I got it. You will be faced with a few issues (already discussed earlier in this thread) but results are outstanding.

I do however still have and use my 5D2, when auto focusing is actually important (zoos, activities, etc). A7R with L lenses is great for stationary subjects or tripod-bound work.

One note, I originally had my MB adapter completely flocked with Edmunds paper, to reduce glare within its optical path. It mostly took care of the problem, until I got TS-E 17mm. Any up/down shift over 7mm exhibited vignetting, and a tilt in direction of shift (even if shift is 2mm and tilt is 2 degrees) showed severe vignetting as well. I got so fed up with it I ripped out the flock paper from top and bottom of MB's chamber, which allowed me to use the lens unrestricted (without any glare). It unfortunately made it nearly impossible to use my 24-70mm MK2 (which is my second most used lens on A7R) as lateral flare got painful again.
Also maybe it's due to humidity here in Florida, but the Edmunds paper was unsticking from the adapter on its own anyway (which may have contributed to the problem).
I ordered a matte black pen and may try something with it. I'm actually thinking of getting a second Metabones adapter so I have one partially flocked for TS-E 17 and one fully flocked for other lenses

rmlewis wrote:
Hi All

Just purchased an A7R with MetabonesIII adapter to add to my 5D MkIII and L lenses. I've been impressed with what I have read here and elsewhere. I mainly do Landscape so I am looking forward to using my 17mm TS-E and 16-35 II on the A7R.

I am keen to hear what people think of this camera and if the 5D MkIII survived in your camera bag for long after buying the A7R.

Rob

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:34 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.115 #4 · p.115 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

So was the paper causing issues with the 17 mm or was it because the paper was coming off?
Fred did not mention any issues with this combination.

Jun 08, 2014 at 07:46 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.115 #5 · p.115 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

dgdg wrote:
So was the paper causing issues with the 17 mm or was it because the paper was coming off?
Fred did not mention any issues with this combination.

I'm not sure, I tried to push the paper back in, thinking it peeling off is a problem but it didn't help. I will try to reflock one more time before using the pen.

Yea I was surprised also - i've been thinking that maybe humidity does something to the paper, aside from making it come off adapter.

Jun 08, 2014 at 08:17 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.115 #6 · p.115 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

So there is a new Metabones 4 smart adapter:
http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4

"
Enhancement on MARK IV vs. MARK III:
The new design of inner housing in MARK IV has a bigger inner hole. Improving the Tilt shift lens preformance.
The inner hole is painted with matt coating. This can further reduce the internal reflection. "

I'm buying that ...

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:56 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.115 #7 · p.115 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sounds rather like Nikon with the D610...

Jun 09, 2014 at 05:47 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.115 #8 · p.115 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
So there is a new Metabones 4 smart adapter:
http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4

"
Enhancement on MARK IV vs. MARK III:
The new design of inner housing in MARK IV has a bigger inner hole. Improving the Tilt shift lens preformance.
The inner hole is painted with matt coating. This can further reduce the internal reflection. "

I'm buying that ...

Interesting - amazing that they still sell the MkIII version of this adapter for the same price ($399). Looks like those adapters are high in demand due to the amount of people moving from Canon to Sony....

Jun 09, 2014 at 02:59 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.115 #9 · p.115 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

At least they didn't jack up the price on MB4, a 'premium' solution for premium cameras
I really hope I can receive mine before I leave on a photoshoot in 15 days, would be a nice field test, but I doubt it somehow.

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:04 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.115 #10 · p.115 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
At least they didn't jack up the price on MB4, a 'premium' solution for premium cameras
I really hope I can receive mine before I leave on a photoshoot in 15 days, would be a nice field test, but I doubt it somehow.

I wonder when someone will offer coated EF/E mount adapters without AF capability - in fact, MF is totally fine for me with my Sony camera. Supposedly the price of the current Metabones adapters is only so high due to the AF capability and lens recognition. Such MF EF/E mount adapter should cost less than $50 easily (most of still well made MF adapters cost around $10!).

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mttran
• • • • •
p.115 #11 · p.115 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

yeah, I don't mind to get a manual adapter...where the hell china knock off be these days

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:42 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.115 #12 · p.115 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I would LOVE an adapter that only has contacts for EXIF, Aperture control, and IS!

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:44 PM
davidmarinero

p.115 #13 · p.115 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
There are no updates on the Novoflex adapter but the ETA was between March and June.

Seeing these news of the Metabones Mark IV makes me wonder: how far is Novoflex from releasing their adapter, originally scheduled for June? Has anyone heard from them?

Jun 09, 2014 at 11:35 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.115 #14 · p.115 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

davidmarinero wrote:
Seeing these news of the Metabones Mark IV makes me wonder: how far is Novoflex from releasing their adapter, originally scheduled for June? Has anyone heard from them?

Nops, no news I am aware of. But if something is released, it will be hyper expensive - already the Novoflex MF adapters are severely overpriced IMO.

Jun 09, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.115 #15 · p.115 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Tilt and shift lenses were never a problem with the Metabones Mark III (even the TS-E 17mm) as there is no mechanical vignetting.
The reflection issue has been resolved by flocking the adapter and I doubt that the new "matte" paint will do a better job with reflections.
The good news is that perhaps the Mark III will go down in price.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM
secondclaw
• •
p.115 #16 · p.115 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fred - have you tried to do a shift and a tilt in the same direction with a flocked adapter? I was getting a pretty bad vignette with that effect. I am wondering if whatever this paper is, its not handling humidity well ( aside from it coming unglued). I shoot by the beach and various waterways a lot, and eventually I started noticing a vignette at over 10mm shift (I used flocked adapter for a long time before getting TS-17). A 2 degree tilt down, in direction of shift, pretty much killed it for me. I removed the paper from top and bottom only (it came off too easily) after which point I got no vignette in any tilt/shift combo, but of course started getting severe flares (at top and bottom) when using 24-70mm.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Tilt and shift lenses were never a problem with the Metabones Mark III (even the TS-E 17mm) as there is no mechanical vignetting.
The reflection issue has been resolved by flocking the adapter and I doubt that the new "matte" paint will do a better job with reflections.

Jun 10, 2014 at 03:26 AM
bwana999

p.115 #17 · p.115 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran wrote:
yeah, I don't mind to get a manual adapter...where the hell china knock off be these days

Many available. I purchased a King adapter (EOS->E mount). Works very well!

bwa

Jun 10, 2014 at 03:29 AM
rmlewis

p.115 #18 · p.115 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Hi
I'm new here as I have only just purchased an A7R and Metabones III adapter. What does "flocking the adapter" mean?

Thanks
Rob

Fred Miranda wrote:

Jun 10, 2014 at 04:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.115 #19 · p.115 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
Fred - have you tried to do a shift and a tilt in the same direction with a flocked adapter? I was getting a pretty bad vignette with that effect. I am wondering if whatever this paper is, its not handling humidity well ( aside from it coming unglued). I shoot by the beach and various waterways a lot, and eventually I started noticing a vignette at over 10mm shift (I used flocked adapter for a long time before getting TS-17). A 2 degree tilt down, in direction of shift, pretty much killed it for me. I removed the paper
...Show more

I do not get vignetting. The flocking paper I tried is very thin and can be found on this link:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247661/100#12050752

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:27 AM
secondclaw
• •
p.115 #20 · p.115 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
I do not get vignetting. The flocking paper I tried is very thin and can be found on this link:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247661/100#12050752

That's the same paper I use. We'll see, new adapter will be here in 3 days. At least I can compare them.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password