Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              113      
       115              119       120       end

Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.114 #1 · p.114 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Potentially there could be two gaps - as mentioned the one between camera and adapter (or lens) fitting, and also between adapter and attached lens. In both cases you can simply cover the space in between with a rubber band on each or use some cloth to cover both of them at once.

May 06, 2014 at 06:34 PM
secondclaw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.114 #2 · p.114 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I've been reading plenty of threads on using L plates with Metabones III. It seems like Desmond L plate (with or without the Hejnar spacer) is the way to go. But ... I haven't found much on being able to use Metabones while A7R is fitted with the battery grip. It seems that once the grip is installed, there is virtually no clearance for Metabones foot, so are there options? I think RJ's adapter may work, since its foot can clear the grip. It just doesn't seem all that stable.
Also, any idea of someone made/machined an alternative foot for Metabones, to allow it to stick out from under the grip?

May 08, 2014 at 02:12 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.114 #3 · p.114 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Have any A7R owner updated its new firmware "ILCE7RV102"? Do you see any improvement in IQ/AF/Menu? Thanks

May 08, 2014 at 04:29 AM
secondclaw
• •
p.114 #4 · p.114 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I did. First update destroyed the EVF. Sent to Sony, after 3 weeks they called me and said necessary parts won't arrive for another 1.5 months, so they shipped me a new camera. It came with old firmware, but I updated it without any issues. Aside from quicker startup, I don't see much of a benefit.

mttran wrote:
Have any A7R owner updated its new firmware "ILCE7RV102"? Do you see any improvement in IQ/AF/Menu? Thanks

May 08, 2014 at 04:35 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.114 #5 · p.114 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
I did. First update destroyed the EVF. Sent to Sony, after 3 weeks they called me and said necessary parts won't arrive for another 1.5 months, so they shipped me a new camera. It came with old firmware, but I updated it without any issues. Aside from quicker startup, I don't see much of a benefit.

bummer, this is what they promised in new firmware:

•Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
- Improves auto focus speed
- Adds the "Focus hold button" function
•Reduces start-up time:
- The start-up time has been reduced in cases when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
•Improves image quality
•Provides support for additional PlayMemories Camera Apps™ and additional features for previously supported apps:
- Supports the "Liveview Grading" and "Smooth Reflection" applications
- Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the "Time-lapse" application ver. 2.00 and later

Sound like the 3rd party lens preset AF and manual focusing magnifier were disabled by M III adapter and has nothing to do with A7R firmware itself. Thanks for your reply

BTW, First update destroyed the EVF is scary one...do they have any explanation?

Edited on May 08, 2014 at 05:08 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2014 at 04:56 AM
secondclaw
• •
p.114 #6 · p.114 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

To be fair some of these changes may be good, but not using native lenses or jpeg (I assume that's what they refer to when they talk image quality) I wouldn't know.

mttran wrote:
bummer, this is what they promised:

•Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
- Improves auto focus speed
- Adds the "Focus hold button" function
•Reduces start-up time:
- The start-up time has been reduced in cases when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
•Improves image quality
•Provides support for additional PlayMemories Camera Apps™ and additional features for previously supported apps:
- Supports the "Liveview Grading" and "Smooth Reflection" applications
- Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the "Time-lapse" application ver. 2.00 and later

Sound like the 3rd party lens preset AF and manual focusing magnifier were disabled by M III
...Show more

May 08, 2014 at 05:07 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.114 #7 · p.114 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Iya dudes !

I'm back from two four-days shooting sessions, long exposure. With A7R+MIII and mainly 24-70II, a few from 70-200II.
All I can say is WOW ! LiveView outside is nice, even if sometimes I used OVF due to low contrast on lcd due to the sun. But the camera is a dream to use outside, small and light in the bag. With 70-200 I find using metabones foot for tripod is better, less blur prone (not shutter shock here, I was around 1m30s of exposure).
I did bought a sand-bag to weight more my tripod, previously the weight of the 1DsII was usually enough. Not anymore !
Once customized to your logic/ergonomic, it is very fast to use, setting focus etc.
Regarding files, well we know it, it surpass anything from Canon.
Not a single regret there having switched entirely to A7R/Metabones/EF for all of my shootings

May 13, 2014 at 05:47 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.114 #8 · p.114 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

+1, I took A7R out for a DR test drive last Saturday as well, I like mine. It captured what I was actually seeing. Here is a hand held sample, click on image for bigger size: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/13975855379_16feed763b_k.jpg

This cam is rock. I am really happy to pair it with my old mint dinosaur 1Ds2 and thinking to trade my minty 5D2 for FE 24-70 lens for travel bag.

May 13, 2014 at 07:40 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.114 #9 · p.114 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KiboOst wrote:

Iya dudes !

I'm back from two four-days shooting sessions, long exposure. With A7R+MIII and mainly 24-70II, a few from 70-200II.
All I can say is WOW ! LiveView outside is nice, even if sometimes I used OVF due to low contrast on lcd due to the sun. But the camera is a dream to use outside, small and light in the bag. With 70-200 I find using metabones foot for tripod is better, less blur prone (not shutter shock here, I was around 1m30s of exposure).
I did bought a sand-bag to weight more my tripod, previously the weight of the 1DsII
...Show more

I also continued testing/exploring my A7R, and yes, all the files beat the RAW files from my 5D MkII in any situation. I am seriously also thinking now to sell my regular color 5D MkII camera since I rarely use it now. One thing which I found didn't work on the A7R is my Sigma EM-140 DG ringflash for Canon hotshoe mount whereas all my speedlite flashes work fine in manual mode on the A7R (and manual mode that's all I need). I still want to test if the ringflash works by using a hotshoe adapter.

May 13, 2014 at 09:12 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.114 #10 · p.114 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sorry dudes, not really Canon related, but I got several dots on my A7R sensor.

I've always cleaned my sensors myself (mainly 1DsII) with eclipse and sensor swabs, but as A7R doesn't have AA filter dunno if this is safe. I guess there is a glass cover anyway (at least IR removal), but would heard from someone who did wet cleaned an A7R sensor.

Does Eclipse is safe ?

May 19, 2014 at 01:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.114 #11 · p.114 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KiboOst wrote:
Sorry dudes, not really Canon related, but I got several dots on my A7R sensor.

I've always cleaned my sensors myself (mainly 1DsII) with eclipse and sensor swabs, but as A7R doesn't have AA filter dunno if this is safe. I guess there is a glass cover anyway (at least IR removal), but would heard from someone who did wet cleaned an A7R sensor.

Does Eclipse is safe ?

No need to wet clean IMO. Get an Arctic Butterfly pen, and it gets rid of all sensor dust easily with dry-cleaning.

May 19, 2014 at 03:16 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.114 #12 · p.114 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Ok, I cleaned my sensor with Eclipse (E1) and sensor swabs, and not a single speck at f/22 anymore ! Yeah !

BUT ! Maybe a stupid question, but as there is only stupid answers ...

When I turn off the a7r and remove metabones+lense, there is no shutter. I have direct access to the sensor. Is this normal ? Shouldn't the shutter close when turning camera off, and open when turning on ? I didn't had to use cleaning mode in menus at all. And yes it works, when taking shot, I ear it closing, shot, reopening.
It is with last firmware.
It has always been like that anyway, but it is only now that it sounds strange to me...

May 23, 2014 at 05:32 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.114 #13 · p.114 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Shutter is always open, until you take a shot. It's same on the Canon, you just need cleaning mode to flip up the mirror.

KiboOst wrote:
Ok, I cleaned my sensor with Eclipse (E1) and sensor swabs, and not a single speck at f/22 anymore ! Yeah !

When I turn off the a7r and remove metabones+lense, there is no shutter. I have direct access to the sensor. Is this normal ? Shouldn't the shutter close when turning camera off, and open when turning on ? I didn't had to use cleaning mode in menus at all. And yes it works, when taking shot, I ear it closing, shot, reopening.
It
...Show more

May 23, 2014 at 05:38 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.114 #14 · p.114 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KiboOst wrote:

It
...Show more

All sony NEX cameras I've used are the same, the sensor is exposed.

May 23, 2014 at 05:39 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.114 #15 · p.114 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
Shutter is always open, until you take a shot. It's same on the Canon, you just need cleaning mode to flip up the mirror.

Well no, if I look at my 1DsII, remove the lens and look behind the mirror, the shutter is closed. Cleaning mode is there to open the shutter until you turn camera off.

Well, if all nex are like that, that's ok...

May 23, 2014 at 05:41 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.114 #16 · p.114 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

It is normal, shutter is default open to support AF and EVF. Playing 85L around with my garden this morning. The Sony A7R EVF is heavenly build for ultra fast lenses. Precision focusing is a piece of cake for most canon prime. All of 85L@f1.2:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2895/14252301684_4395319fdd_k.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5311/14066247859_14bc621eb3_k.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5544/14066589390_415536547e_k.jpg

Edited on May 23, 2014 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

May 23, 2014 at 05:47 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.114 #17 · p.114 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

My 5D2 doesn't keep shutter closed by default.

KiboOst wrote:
Well no, if I look at my 1DsII, remove the lens and look behind the mirror, the shutter is closed. Cleaning mode is there to open the shutter until you turn camera off.

Well, if all nex are like that, that's ok...

May 23, 2014 at 05:48 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.114 #18 · p.114 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

LiveView generation perhaps ;-)

May 23, 2014 at 06:18 PM
rmlewis

p.114 #19 · p.114 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Hi All

Just purchased an A7R with MetabonesIII adapter to add to my 5D MkIII and L lenses. I've been impressed with what I have read here and elsewhere. I mainly do Landscape so I am looking forward to using my 17mm TS-E and 16-35 II on the A7R.

I am keen to hear what people think of this camera and if the 5D MkIII survived in your camera bag for long after buying the A7R.

Rob

Jun 08, 2014 at 09:42 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.114 #20 · p.114 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

rmlewis wrote:
Hi All

Just purchased an A7R with MetabonesIII adapter to add to my 5D MkIII and L lenses. I've been impressed with what I have read here and elsewhere. I mainly do Landscape so I am looking forward to using my 17mm TS-E and 16-35 II on the A7R.

I am keen to hear what people think of this camera and if the 5D MkIII survived in your camera bag for long after buying the A7R.

Rob

Congrats to your A7R - you will enjoy it, it is ideal for landscape photography. I also got the Metabones III adapter to mount my Canon lenses, but I rarely use them in AF anymore since MF is so much easier with the A7R and focus peaking. It is perfect with the TSE lenses, too - the EVF is simply amazing and very sharp. Did my 5D MkII survive? Yes, for two reasons: (a) Flash photography: I kept my Canon speedlite flashes, and for flash photography I still prefer my 5D MKII. My Sigma EM-140DG ringflash does not work on my A7R - but very well on my 5D MkII. (b) AF performance: in case I ever rely on AF with my Canon lenses, I will certainly use my 5D MkII instead of the A7R.

So far I am using my A7R since I bought it a few months ago in 90% of all cases in my regular color photography. Much easier to carry, less bulky, more options with all kind of third party MF lenses. I should also say that I don't have any Sony/Zeiss E-mount lens, and I don't intend to get one since all my current gear is excellent on the A7R. The A7R sensor blows the 5D series out of the water with a blink of an eye !

Jun 08, 2014 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password