Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              112      
       114              117       118       end

Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Alexluu627

Upload & Sell: Off
p.113 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Thanks a lot mttran looks really good. The money in my pockets is telling me to buy the camera lol

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:53 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.113 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Arka wrote:
Living in a "free" country means the government can't prevent you from saying things. That doesn't mean that what you are saying is valid... indeed, much of what you say is outright foolish. If you've never processed and printed a D800 file to 24x36 or higher (landscape or otherwise), you should try it before chastening others for "studying" their "monitor."

And your knowledge doesn't extend very far if you don't think high ISO is a usual "style" for a landscape shooter. ISO 1600-12,800 is my base ISO range for shooting nightscapes (a very usual subject for me and many others),
...Show more

I had no idea that cameras were capable of reproducing magic. this is beautiful.

Apr 26, 2014 at 02:22 PM
gizmodox

p.113 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I bought a pair of these Vivitar batteries from Amazon. Some people reported poor performances with the Wasabi brand and some fried their cameras. I never had a problem with the Vivitars. Appears they also have higher ratings on Amazon too. Hope that helps.

Vivitar Sony A7R batteries

Apr 27, 2014 at 04:40 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.113 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

gizmodox wrote:
I bought a pair of these Vivitar batteries from Amazon. Some people reported poor performances with the Wasabi brand and some fried their cameras. I never had a problem with the Vivitars. Appears they also have higher ratings on Amazon too. Hope that helps.

Vivitar Sony A7R batteries

I have two Sony batteries and two Wasabi brand batteries for my A7R. The Sony batteries hold the charge longer especially at colder outside temperatures. Nevertheless, the Wasabi ones are a good deal and a good option just to have some spare batteries with you on a longer trip.
I avoid charging the Wasabi batteries with the Sony charger and vice-versa avoiding to charge the Sony batteries with the Wasabi charger. It looks like Sony batteries are charged a bit slower but better to keep the charge longer than the Wasabi batteries.

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:38 PM
rhZhao

p.113 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

For the most of time I only use the 16 2.8 lens on my Sony mirrorless camera, sometimes I just wanna get a RX1R instead

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:59 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.113 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Iya !

Was out for four days shooting long exposures. A7R+metabonesIII, mainly 24-70II. Just unbelievable results, this sensor is just amazing !

Now, here is a problem. I didn't pay much attention while shooting, I always crop square, but would like to know what it is exactly and how to avoid it. Look at the upper right corner :

Happens with lee filter holder + big stopper + 0.9 or 0.6 filter.
Didn't tried without filters or so, seems to not happens when I avoid direct sun on filters with myself (but also have to hide wind !). I also have the standard Lee lens hood, but does nothing on this. I guess i is some sun light hitting filters from the back. Any insight about this ? Lee filters are also pretty new to me, so it may be a common behavior.

I was also surprised that batteries were really not a problem. Ok, I did shoot around 15 photos per day, but each between 1min30s to 4min ! My 1Ds2 batteries really didn't like such long exposure shots.

May 05, 2014 at 01:51 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.113 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

@KiboOst: could be the described issue with the light leak at long exposures. I remember to have seen photos where this sort of streak appeared in one of the corners. Simple solution: use a broader rubber band between adapter and camera mount to cover the fitting.

May 05, 2014 at 03:08 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.113 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Ah, didn't though about this one !! As the metabones stay always on the A7R, I will check this and let you know after next photo trip like this.
Many thanks !

May 05, 2014 at 03:11 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.113 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I ran a light leaking test and found nothing. First test is A7R + Metabones + Cap and second test is A7R + Metabones + EF lens + Lens Cap. Both were in 30s indoor and outdoor

May 05, 2014 at 03:14 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.113 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran wrote:
I ran a light leaking test and found nothing. First test is A7R + Metabones + Cap and second test is A7R + Metabones + EF lens + Lens Cap. Both were in 30s indoor and outdoor

It is described at exposures above 60 seconds under bright/sunny conditions in a real world scenario (I mean by not going to the extreme and shinging directly a bright glass fiber halide lamp next to the fitting).

May 05, 2014 at 03:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NCAndy
• • •
p.113 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

retrofocus wrote:
It is described at exposures above 60 seconds under bright/sunny conditions in a real world scenario (I mean by not going to the extreme and shinging directly a bright glass fiber halide lamp next to the fitting).

Is that right? Who shoots for over 60 seconds in bright/sunny conditions? Even with a 10 stop ND filter it's hard to get to 30 seconds.

May 05, 2014 at 03:32 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.113 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

retrofocus wrote:
I have two Sony batteries and two Wasabi brand batteries for my A7R. The Sony batteries hold the charge longer especially at colder outside temperatures. Nevertheless, the Wasabi ones are a good deal and a good option just to have some spare batteries with you on a longer trip.
I avoid charging the Wasabi batteries with the Sony charger and vice-versa avoiding to charge the Sony batteries with the Wasabi charger. It looks like Sony batteries are charged a bit slower but better to keep the charge longer than the Wasabi batteries.

I am in CA, sunshine most the time...the two Wasabi batteries seem working fine. The normal/car chargers look cheap but they work fine as well. man, what do you expect more from 2 batteries and chargers for 26 bucks

May 05, 2014 at 03:32 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.113 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

NCAndy wrote:
Is that right? Who shoots for over 60 seconds in bright/sunny conditions? Even with a 10 stop ND filter it's hard to get to 30 seconds.

I was with sunny glasses outside with exposures around 3min...
I previously tested ligh leaks with 30sec high iso lens cap etc and didn't see anything. Once more, real world situation is always different.
Will seal the lens mount and see what happens next week.

May 05, 2014 at 03:36 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.113 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I don't think it's a light leak at the mount - this is light sneaking into the space between lens and filter. I have seen it happen if the filter is not inserted into Lee holder properly, or if there is a gap. I don't see it with Big Stopper since it has a foam seal but I have seen it with other filters - this exact look. So if you have 0.9 / 0.6, they don't seal , so light may get in between big stopper (which is also reflective) and one of these.

May 05, 2014 at 04:07 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.113 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
I don't think it's a light leak at the mount - this is light sneaking into the space between lens and filter. I have seen it happen if the filter is not inserted into Lee holder properly, or if there is a gap. I don't see it with Big Stopper since it has a foam seal but I have seen it with other filters - this exact look. So if you have 0.9 / 0.6, they don't seal , so light may get in between big stopper (which is also reflective) and one of these.

So what can be done ? Get som black pouch recovering front lens and filter holder ?
I always put big stopper in first (close to lens) holder, then another filter in next one (third one may be for lee lens hood).

May 05, 2014 at 04:11 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.113 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

hey sorry to seems dumb, but as A7R doesn'thave any mirror reflecting light to eye piece, we don't have to close/cover eye piece like on DSLRs, right ??

May 05, 2014 at 04:14 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.113 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KiboOst wrote:
So what can be done ? Get som black pouch recovering front lens and filter holder ?
I always put big stopper in first (close to lens) holder, then another filter in next one (third one may be for lee lens hood).

So the gap between BS and another filter needs to be closed - but it may not help much either as the light coming in will still slightly reflect off the surface of the stopper and then off the surface of the filter in front. I found these reflections to be hard to stop in this setup (for example I use stopper and a reverse grad at times, and I can get these effects), so I usually use the stopper by itself. If you need stronger effect, maybe you can try the new ND15 filter.
For now, see if you seal off the gap between the two filters if this will help (as I'm not sure if in your case its light coming into the gap, or light bouncing between the two filters. If the filter in front is square (like the polarizer) you can use black velcro strip to surround the gap - otherwise try to cover it with something temporarily (hand, cardboard) - you should see on the LCD if you get the flare.

May 05, 2014 at 04:32 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.113 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KiboOst wrote:
hey sorry to seems dumb, but as A7R doesn'thave any mirror reflecting light to eye piece, we don't have to close/cover eye piece like on DSLRs, right ??

You are right but who knows how EVF chamber constructed. Best is to cover the eye piece to make sure no light coming in anyway

May 06, 2014 at 02:44 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.113 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I had experienced the very same light leak on long exposures (somewhere from 30" to 2, 3 minutes, day light). To my experiment, I determined it was at the mount between the Metabones and the A7R body - not the A7R fault. My friend at the shoot had the exact setup, metabones III and same lens, had no leak. So I would say, with precaution, it is a fault of some batch of Metabones. I covered using my darker t-shirt over the metabones/body mount and the problem went away.

May 06, 2014 at 05:40 PM
retrait
• • • •
p.113 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

mttran wrote:
You are right but who knows how EVF chamber constructed. Best is to cover the eye piece to make sure no light coming in anyway

Eye piece does not have to be covered in my experience.

May 06, 2014 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password