Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              108      
       110              121       122       end

Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.109 #1 · p.109 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KiboOst wrote:
Yes I saw that on getdpi forum. But I'm not fan of having to unscrew / rescrew each time to get batteries out. It may finish by ruin the tripod socket screw on the grip :/

A lot of photographers won't like this compromise, myself included. I advised John against it but he decided it was the best design for a sturdy bracket.
Fred

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:20 PM
ryanpfleger
• •
p.109 #2 · p.109 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Ditto on the question about Birchwood Casey Flat Black. Anybody tried it? Results? I am seeing mixed reviews of the stuff on Amazon. Leery of putting this stuff on camera adapter internals.

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:37 PM
tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.109 #3 · p.109 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I didn't notice any problem before I used it, didn't notice a problem after. I will say I was pretty amazed at how non-reflective it really is.

It did have an odor...I left the adapter out to "breath" for about a week.

-Tim

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:27 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.109 #4 · p.109 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

How much focal length is lost with the metabones adapter...ie ..if i mount a 17mm..am i shooting at 17mm or some other focal length?

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:35 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.109 #5 · p.109 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

17 is 17.

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:48 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.109 #6 · p.109 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Have anyone used 135L with a7? Is the focusing accurate? Don't care about the speed since I will be using it on portraits and panoramas.

I planned to get the Zeiss 135/1.8 but the price is maybe too much. I can get 3 used 135L's with the price of one new Zeiss.

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:46 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.109 #7 · p.109 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Have anyone used 135L with a7? Is the focusing accurate? Don't care about the speed since I will be using it on portraits and panoramas.

I planned to get the Zeiss 135/1.8 but the price is maybe too much. I can get 3 used 135L's with the price of one new Zeiss.

I used the 135/2 L lens with the A7R and Metabones III adapter. AF works fine both for longer distances and at shorter distances with the focus limiter of the lens. And of course you can use the 135/2 in MF, too.

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:48 PM
honzak2

p.109 #8 · p.109 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

secondclaw wrote:
Well, completely futile attempt at shooting the Olympic Flame ...
No filter, clean 24-70 f2.8 mk2, Metabones 3, A7R.
Tried different placements.
Other bright sources are ok, but a large one is an awful mess.
The adapter is fully flocked with edmunds (at least as far as I can tell).

1. http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--XkiXuPfSbo/UwI0S2oVAUI/AAAAAAAADxk/oFtakh5ZT3M/w1287-h858-no/_DSC3597.jpg
2. http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--33HYHKakTY/UwI0S-se2cI/AAAAAAAADxY/MJ1Rc3nHSuY/w1287-h858-no/_DSC3598.jpg
3. This is not a crop, but a separate full frame photo.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kXv4L21AbNw/UwI0SgQ4j6I/AAAAAAAADxU/vnfx6cTXs-g/w1287-h858-no/_DSC3611.jpg

All shot at f8.

Any ideas? I have a NEX-7 and will try same thing with canon lens/adapter next chance I get. I tried NEX-7 with 18-200 native lens, and it was perfect.

Hi guys, I'm thinking of the A7r to use with 17 TS-E and 24 TS-E and some other canon lenses but when I saw this post I got worried - how big this problem with light sources in the image is? Anyone else experienced the same thing? I shoot chandeliers quite often so it's a big thing to me...Thanks

Mar 16, 2014 at 09:52 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.109 #9 · p.109 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

honzak2 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm thinking of the A7r to use with 17 TS-E and 24 TS-E and some other canon lenses but when I saw this post I got worried - how big this problem with light sources in the image is? Anyone else experienced the same thing? I shoot chandeliers quite often so it's a big thing to me...Thanks

This was my original post ... I also use 24mm ts-e, and frankly, after flocking the adapter, results are usually excellent, and I learned to notice lateral flares in live view and recompose (they are not fully eliminated by flocking). But the size of the Olympic Flame just made a mess of things, and it surprised me how badly it turned out. Some suggested it was overexposure, so who knows.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM
honzak2

p.109 #10 · p.109 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Thank you very much for your reply.My problem is that I cannot even try it out with the adapter (not sold here so I would have to order it separately).

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.109 #11 · p.109 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Has anyone tried the Nikon adapter (AF Confirm Nikon G AF-S AI F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter) on the Canon metabones and used the Nikon 14-24? I don't want to buy the Nikon Metabones adapter if i don't have to.

AF Confirm Nikon G AF-S AI F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-Confirm-Nikon-G-AF-S-AI-F-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-Mount-Adapter-/160865040638?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item25744db8fe&afsrc=1

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.109 #12 · p.109 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sunny,
IMO adding two adapters is not a good idea but could be worth a try.
For the Nikon 14-24, I would not hesitate to get the Novoflex adapter (NEX/NIK). I'm waiting for Novoflex to release a similar adapter for Canon EF lenses with electronics.
Fred

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:03 PM
eyal.ma

p.109 #13 · p.109 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Has anyone tried the A7R and a canon lens in a studio?

I'm considering buying it as a replacement for the 5D3 for studio work because of the sensor, but I'm concerned regarding focus speed, if the metabones reflections only occur with tilt lenses but might be an issue with flash environment, and how does choosing a focus point fair compared to the quick selection with the joystick on the 5D3.

Pretty much on the ropes. It looks like an amazing sensor. And even though I'm not a full out fan of the size and EVF, the output I have seen can take the 5D3 to school.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.109 #14 · p.109 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sunny Sra wrote:
Has anyone tried the Nikon adapter (AF Confirm Nikon G AF-S AI F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter) on the Canon metabones and used the Nikon 14-24?

I often try stacked and/or generic adapters to see if I like an Alt lens. If I do like it, then I usually buy a high-quality, 1-step adapter. In this case, and especially given this lens's rep, I'd shell out for the Metabones. The Leitax Nikon to EOS mount would be the best first step in a two-step process, but you'd lose aperture control.

Too bad that Nikon doesn't make any other lenses that are worth the sharing cost of a Metabones...

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM
KatManDEW

p.109 #15 · p.109 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

AGeoJO wrote:

You know, I believe that indeed Canon will come out with a high MP camera this year. But guaranteed it would be roughly the same size as the 5D Mark III or even bigger, possibly in the form of a 1D series with the weight to match. If you go on a photography trip and you don't have to lug all your gear around the whole day, and you can drive to your destination, then that's great. I would love to get and take that future camera, especially if you need a great AF performance, like on a birding
...Show more
Late to the party here. Looking at the a7R myself now to compliment my 5D3.

Don't want to stray too far off target, and bring up what seems to be a sore subject, but the flip screen is something in the pro side of my pro's and con's list for the a7R (versus a D800). I had a 60D before I got my 5D3 two years ago this week, and although I "rarely" used the flip screen on my 60D, I missed it the first day out with my 5D3... It's one of those things that's seemingly insignificant until you don't have it anymore, and then it's huge...

An a7R purchase is going to take me awhile to decide upon. I would MUCH rather have a high res Canon body, but at the very least that probably won't materialize until the dreaded global warming snow starts flying again. One big con for me is that, like I've seen other report, I was burnt by Sony support one time, and I would really rather not give them the chance to do it again.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.109 #16 · p.109 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KatManDEW wrote:
Late to the party here. Looking at the a7R myself now to compliment my 5D3.

Don't want to stray too far off target, and bring up what seems to be a sore subject, but the flip screen is something in the pro side of my pro's and con's list for the a7R (versus a D800). I had a 60D before I got my 5D3 two years ago this week, and although I "rarely" used the flip screen on my 60D, I missed it the first day out with my 5D3... It's one of those things that's seemingly insignificant until you don't
...Show more

I was in the same boat, hoping that Canon catches up with FF sensor technology faster which didn't happen. Jumped to Sony A7R a couple of weeks ago and have no regrets whatsoever. It depends what you are mostly shooting if this camera is right for you - it perfectly fits my style since I am not into bird/action/event photography at all. This is the first thing you need to get clear about to avoid a disappointment. The Sony sensor in this little camera is just amazing and multiple steps ahead what Canon currently offers. I didn't expect it, but even the colors come out much better on my A7R compared to my 5D MkII. You don't need any shadow recovery when taking photos with the A7R - not even a graduated ND filter very often. But consider that with all needed adapter(s) and accessories for the A7R you also spend approx. $2600. Especially the Metabones III adapter to attach Canon EF lenses is overpriced IMO, but it is worth to get it. I don't think that Canon will release a 5D MkIV with better sensor this year, and if it appears in 2015, it will come again with a high price tag and maybe not with a much better sensor what we already have in the A7R.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.109 #17 · p.109 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Agree with Retrofocus.
If you don't need fast AF, go for A7R.
I doubt Canon will catch up with resolution and DR very soon, especially in an affordable body. And even if they do, your A7R will continue to work like it is, and how many shots will you have taken with such amazing sensor before getting hand on such Canon body ?
I've waited for such bodie from Canon, but at some time, it's just too long. I didn't regret my A7R buying a single second since I have it. But once more, I'm a tripod shooter ;-)
I guess you could get a FE zoom for AF shooting, dunno how AF speed compares to 5DIII or DSLRs in general anyway.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM
KatManDEW

p.109 #18 · p.109 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Without reading through this entire (fascinating) thread, can anyone tell me how much the trade-in rebate is worth?

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:02 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.109 #19 · p.109 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

KatManDEW wrote:
Without reading through this entire (fascinating) thread, can anyone tell me how much the trade-in rebate is worth?

yesterday was a special one-day trade in for a higher amount, but normally it is $300 off for trade-in.

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:59 PM
KatManDEW

p.109 #20 · p.109 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Thanks for the links! Is the metabones still the best adapter? Do I need the L braket for tripod mounting?

I think I'm about to fall for this deal...

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password