New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              122       123       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

The A7r looks like a great small landscape camera. I'm very interested. With the Exmor sensor this camera seems to be a winner. I'll wait for the field reviews though.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:10 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fantastic! The first real innovative camera product which I see this year.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:23 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Is their still no word on it's flash sync speed? No mention in the specs.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

5fps for mirrorless camera is quiet slow, my mirrorsless iphone5s can shot 10fps

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:49 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

The specs look pretty amazing. Like said previously, with the 5DIII and 24-70 II I am pretty tickled. I imagine comparing the images with the 5DIII and sony will show a difference, but I'm not sure it would show such a dramatic difference that I would need to have two different systems. The lenses will be the same size unless you get a high quality prime. That's the problem with full frame mirrorless - lenes that can trump the small size benefits of the body. What I need most is to get out more and just take photos. The sony is tempting as a backup portable high quality body in a year or two after depreciation.... I'm eager to see the reviews.

Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 08:01 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I am likely to buy this camera for landscape if it works well with eos-m short lens, while waiting and hoping for canon to produce a high dynamic range, high mpx camera.

Hopefully this will provide Canon a incentive to provide a response to d800 and ar7. The d800 they could ignore because it would not use the canon lens, but this one will be harder.

A 36mpx camera with high dynamic range that works with the TS17 is what I have been waiting for from Canon.

Then it will be ar7 for landscape and 5diii for wildlife and family. And eos-m for hiking.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:01 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

I'm sure Canon's will be much more expensive. With ts-e not an issue, but shame to loose auto focus with my ef lenses.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

*in Yoda voice*

Force is strong within this, I feel. But solution with wideangle, patience requires.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:03 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Scott Stoness wrote:
A 36mpx camera with high dynamic range that works with the TS17 is what I have been waiting for from Canon.

Then it will be ar7 for landscape and 5diii for wildlife and family. And eos-m for hiking.

I do think this will be the case for a number of people. With landscape, the disadvantages of AF compared with fast phase detect is mostly irrelevant.. so Sony could get a lot of business from Canon in the short or medium term from this sector.

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:18 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sync is 1/160. No thank you.

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:29 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

jeremy_clay wrote:
Sync is 1/160. No thank you.

Absolutely fine sync rate for me!

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:41 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I do think this will be the case for a number of people. With landscape, the disadvantages of AF compared with fast phase detect is mostly irrelevant.. so Sony could get a lot of business from Canon in the short or medium term from this sector.

Yep, most definitely got my ears burning. Don't need no stinking AF, fps or fast camera sync. Just need a good LiveView and outstanding image quality...oh, and be able to use my set of lenses. Seems like the Sony provides all that, at a very reasonable price point. Wait to see what the reviewers have to say.

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

You'll kick yourselves once Canon introduce their own 36MP+ body - you know they will make one. I don't care myself. The Sony looks great, but I'm not in a hurry to get one given that we are talking more expensive lenses than Canon and they will run into largely the same size issues as any other FF camera. The price is also prohibitive for many. A 35mm f2.8: haven't seen one of those since the 1960s! They even have already added a battery grip as an accessory! I thought small size is what it is all about? Does this mean their A-mount system is dead or will that be kept going?

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
You'll kick yourselves once Canon introduce their own 36MP+ body - you know they will make one. I don't care myself. The Sony looks great, but I'm not in a hurry to get one given that we are talking more expensive lenses than Canon and they will run into largely the same size issues as any other FF camera. The price is also prohibitive for many. A 35mm f2.8: haven't seen one of those since the 1960s! They even have already added a battery grip as an accessory! I thought small size is what it is all about? Does
...Show more
But why kick ourselves? The A7R will be a great camera for our EF lenses while waiting and waiting and waiting for Canon to release their high MP body.

And when the long long long wait is over, and Canon finally introduces their high MP body, I seriously doubt it will arrive in a small, light affordable package. It will most likely be a $7.000 elephant camera.. And who knows if they'll ever manage to up the dynamic range to Sonikon levels?

I'm not jumping ship. I am simply not buying another Canon body until they deliver what I want.

Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
You'll kick yourselves once Canon introduce their own 36MP+ body - you know they will make one. I don't care myself. The Sony looks great, but I'm not in a hurry to get one given that we are talking more expensive lenses than Canon and they will run into largely the same size issues as any other FF camera. The price is also prohibitive for many. A 35mm f2.8: haven't seen one of those since the 1960s! They even have already added a battery grip as an accessory! I thought small size is what it is all about? Does
...Show more

Been waiting on Canon for too long. And with their latest pricing...I won't be able to afford it once they do release it.

This Sony, which will accept just about every lens ever made, including my collection of Canon compatible lens, is nice and compact and priced very aggresively. Cheapest road to a high megapixel landscape camera out there for Canon users.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

NCAndy wrote:
The A7r looks like a great small landscape camera. I'm very interested. With the Exmor sensor this camera seems to be a winner. I'll wait for the field reviews though.

You requested a

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">field review
? Looks pretty good. A little like the D800E and D600, but smaller.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
You'll kick yourselves once Canon introduce their own 36MP+ body - you know they will make one.

When will this happen with this kind of Sony price tag - in 2016?! And then with 36 MPixel which is outdated then again? Let's see if Canon announces something with much improved sensor specs when they finally launch such camera....for $2200 or less of course

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Robin Smith wrote:
...Show more

Yeah, it looks like they are running a slow lens = smaller lens approach to start off with. It's the lens lineup that concerns me, AF performance is important for most of my use and I'm not convinced adapters will provide decent AF for supported lenses. 2.5fps as well... I love the look of it though so will be looking at it closely. 15 lenses by 2015...

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

$2000 for a camera that doesn't natively fit my lenses - it's not exactly cheap? As what pixel count Canon may come up with - how much do you really need, and how do you know what they plan anyway? Of course, if the most important thing is chasing the latest, greatest pixel count, you are already on a hiding to nothing - I don't see it making any discernible difference to the final results. Not that I don't understand it, as there is always the pleasure of new toys...

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

As I've said many times over the last years ... high DR and high MP aren't something I need for my wedding work. More DR (higher quality shadows) would always be nice but even that isn't important to me.

That said, I do think this is a really good option for canon landscape shooters who have been waiting for something to sort them out. It's not canon... but Sony got there before Canon so I suppose it's fair enough that they'll get some of the cash from people.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.