FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              122       123       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses
Official specifications for Sony’s new α7 and α7r bodies are now out. Get ready for the lightest, full frame camera with interchangeable lens ever produced. Both combine design traits of Sony's NEX cameras with a larger DSLRs look, in a compact form.

Plus, when using a high quality adapter like the Metabones Canon EF Lens to E-Mount Lens Adapter III, Canon shooters striving for higher resolution and broader dynamic range images, may be able to use their beloved Canon glass on the new Sony α7 series -- Something that is sure to shake up the DSLR market.

Update: Read the review: Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

Here are the official specifications for both cameras:
  1. 36.4MP Full Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor (α7R), 24.3MP (α7)
  2. No Optical Low-Pass Filter (α7R)
  3. ISO 100-25600 (with 50 ISO extension)
  4. 1200-zone evaluative metering
  5. Speed Priority Continuous shooting: 4fps (α7R), 5fps (α7)
  6. 1/8000 to 30s shutter
  7. Full 1080/60p Video with Remote Capture
  8. 2.4M-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
  9. 25 points contrast AF
  10. Fast Hybrid AF (Phase-detection AF/Contrast-detection AF) (α7)
  11. Eye AF (Eye Detection)
  12. Detail reproduction technology
  13. Diffraction-reducing technology
  14. 117 points phase-detection AF (α7)
  15. 3.0" Tiltable TFT LCD with 1,229K-Dots
  16. TRILUMINOS™ Color technology
  17. BIONZ X image processing engine
  18. Gapless On-Chip Lens Design (α7R)
  19. Electronic Front Curtain Shutter (α7)
  20. Flash Sync Speed: 1/160 (α7R) and 1/250 (α7)
  21. Direct Compatibility with E-mount Lenses
  22. Weather sealed
  23. Built-In Wi-Fi and NFC
  24. Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.0 x 3.7 x 1.9"
  25. Weight (main unit only) 407g (α7R), 416g (α7)

Pre-order Information:

The 7-series alphas are dust-and splash-proof

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sony’s new A7 and A7R digital cameras are the world’s smallest full-frame interchangeable lens models 2. Highly anticipated by professional photographers and imaging enthusiasts alike, the two new cameras offer an unmatched combination of creativity, customizability and portability.

The A7R model features a 36.4 effective megapixel 35mm Exmor® CMOS sensor – the highest resolution sensor in the history of Sony’s A line – with no optical low pass filter for added resolving power and increased image detail. The A7 model boasts an impressive 24.3 effective megapixel 35mm Exmor® CMOS sensor and an innovative fast Hybrid AF system.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/16/sony-announces-first-full-frame-mirrorless-ilc-cameras-a7-and-a7r

Read announcement and further discussion at the Alternative Gear & Lenses board.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

It's the new Canon body! High-resolution, high dynamic range, and you can put EF lenses in front of it and still retain autofocus.

That it's made and sold by someone else is a secondary issue.

Let's hope this is an eye opener for Canon.

I will get the A7R for sure!

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:37 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Rickuz wrote:
It's the new Canon body! High-resolution, high dynamic range, and you can put EF lenses in front of it and still retain autofocus.

That it's made and sold by someone else is a secondary issue.

Let's hope this is an eye opener for Canon.

I will get the A7R for sure!

I'm tempted , hell I may even buy a sony lens for it too.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Cool, maybe bleeding edge photo buffs will flee to SonyLand and I can get a 5D3 for dirt cheap now...

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

^ Not mine. I'll be keeping my 5D3 for the speedy AF low light shooting.

But i'm guessing the A7R will take over every other area.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/picrumors001/alpha7back2_zps6bcb42e1.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/picrumors001/a7r35-1_zpsc93c667e.jpg

Hands on field test:

Gizmodo: Mirrorless have finally gone full frame. http://gizmodo.com/sony-a7-and-a7r-mirrorless-cameras-have-finally-gon-1445907988

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:04 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Rickuz wrote:
Gizmodo: Mirrorless have finally gone full frame. http://gizmodo.com/sony-a7-and-a7r-mirrorless-cameras-have-finally-gon-1445907988

Shame they missed the M9 many years ago...

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:09 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Very, very excited about this. Can see my lens collection in a few years being Canon EF, Nikkor and native CZ full frame with nary a Canon body in my bag. For the first time in years I would have my cake and eat it, choose between Canon and Sony full frame, and still keep my beloved Canikon primes! Choice is expanding in a way I didn't dream of yesterday.

I haven't seen the price of the lower resolution of the 2 new Sonys, but I would expect the cost to be competitive in a year or two. In terms of upgrade I no longer feel that I would be bound to get a 6D2 or 5D4, possibilities, possibilities!

Sorry, but I am well excited by this new release.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

RobDickinson wrote:
Shame they missed the M9 many years ago...

'- the world's first consumer-oriented' - that is consumer not black turtleneck wearing, Apple using yuppie.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:22 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Paul Mo wrote:
'- the world's first consumer-oriented' - that is consumer not black turtleneck wearing, Apple using yuppie.

rofl! I'm an apple using yuppie.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Sheesh, that A7R is one ugly yuppie puppy!

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:13 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Rickuz wrote:
rofl! I'm an apple using yuppie.

That's only forgivable if you do not drive an Audi and you emphatically do not use a Leica.

p.s. other supporting evidence could include a lack of fantasies involving Steve Jobs, and absolutely no desire to cover a Sony A7 in a boutique leather case (in brown).

Gochugogi wrote:

It is kinda Soviet.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Paul Mo wrote:
That's only forgivable if you do not drive an Audi and you emphatically do not use a Leica.

p.s. other supporting evidence could include a lack of fantasies involving Steve Jobs, and absolutely no desire to cover a Sony A7 in a boutique leather case (in brown).

Darn, I almost made it! Cleared everything except the fantasies about Ste.. I mean, the boutique leather case.

Gochugogi wrote:

I don't know. I think it looks kinda nice away from the product shooting table, especially in the video I posted earlier.

But anyways. I wouldn't care if this camera looked like a turd. It's the specs I'm after. The only thing that can disappoint me now is the dynamic range, but I don't think that will be the case. After all, the sensor is the latest exmor.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:26 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

For me, I don't see enough to take on a new system and all of the expense. I think I can get by with my 5D3 w/ 24-70 II. Put a 40 2.8 on the 5D3 and it will probably be compact enough for me to get by when I want FF and more portability. I think my EOS M hit a nice sweet spot for portability, IQ and cost. I am probably more excited about the next EOS M than these A7's right now, but could be convinced by good early adopter experiences.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:52 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

^ Fair enough, but I'm having a hard time seeing the "big expense" here.

It's a $2.200 mirrorless FF (The worlds smallest and lightest) with high resolution and high dynamic range, that will accept your EF lenses through an adapter. It will also take lenses from Sony, Leica, and pretty much every other mount in existence.

You'll need an adapter for the EOS M as well, so what's the difference?

Adapted lenses aside, there will be 12 new lenses from Zeiss next year, especially designed for the A7 and A7R.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:12 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Rickuz wrote:
^ Fair enough, but I'm having a hard time seeing the "big expense" here.

You'll need an adapter for the EOS M as well, so what's the difference?

A Sony-compatible flash unit ~$500; an Arca Swiss plate ~$60; whatever (USB?) cable release Sony will provide ~$50; charger ~$40; second battery ~$40; SD cards ~$100...

Sony really missed a trick here not making the flash shoe Canon and Nikon compatible.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:24 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

Yeah, I fully expect that the sensors on these babies are going to comfortably outclass everyone elses, Sony being the sensor bosses, although for me personally its the high ISO performance that will make or break the deal.

With the native lenses not having to be retrofocus (if that is the right word) high quality is going to be the order of the day. In terms of cost, leaving aside the cost of an EF adaptor (which I would only have to buy once), the Sonys don't look expensive compared to the 6d/5D3s of this world.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:27 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

A new EOSfun dilemma for many: to 6D or to A7(r)? That's the question.

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:57 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Full Frame with Canon Lenses

David Baldwin wrote:
Yeah, I fully expect that the sensors on these babies are going to comfortably outclass everyone elses, Sony being the sensor bosses, although for me personally its the high ISO performance that will make or break the deal.

With the native lenses not having to be retrofocus (if that is the right word) high quality is going to be the order of the day. In terms of cost, leaving aside the cost of an EF adaptor (which I would only have to buy once), the Sonys don't look expensive compared to the 6d/5D3s of this world.

That is the word. But it only affects wides. Normal and tele lenses don't need to have the retrofocus design even on DSLRs.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:01 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.