FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Crossczechfoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Ok another thing I want to add to the mix and if it has been mentioned earlier my apologies as I am doing a lot of skimming at the moment for all the posts.

This is the smack dab in the middle focal length on a FF camera between a 35mm and a 85mm lens correct?

This lens is mainly intended to replace the NOCT from years ago in all aspects but just at a different price range?

Is it intended to be a different price range also because of what specifically it is intended to do, not replace any of the 50mm f/1.2 manual, 50mm f/1.8 and 1.4 lenses because it's an intended for nighttime photography so you don't get huge amounts of flare?

So my question is why would we even need to compare it against any of the 50mm lenses because it's seems like a specific hammer needed for a specific job on a construction site tool?

Just my questions and take on the whole thing?

Ross

Nov 03, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Nima M
• •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

I think the sample shots with the flare being "corrected" are a little misleading since it looks like the noct was used without a hood and the new 58 is designed to be used without one.

Nov 03, 2013 at 03:16 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Have any more sample images come along? There has to be someone shooting with this lens by now

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:28 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Got mine today. I'll post some stuff up later

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:50 PM
low325
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

this lens seems to be super sharp at objects further away than at the minimum focal distance of 1.9ft. at 1.9ft the sharpness wide open is typical nikon g 1.4 lenses. focus further away perhaps 6+ feet and its performs starts to improve greatly. objects at 12+ feet, wide open, are tack!

kinda reminds of the 85 1.4 G. perhaps, sharper?

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:10 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

low325 wrote:
this lens seems to be super sharp at objects further away than at the minimum focal distance of 1.9ft. at 1.9ft the sharpness wide open is typical nikon g 1.4 lenses. focus further away perhaps 6+ feet and its performs starts to improve greatly. objects at 12+ feet, wide open, are tack!

kinda reminds of the 85 1.4 G. perhaps, sharper?

That's really encouraging. I just recently got into some threads about how disappointing the 35 1.4G is, whether that's true or not, I don't know. But if the 58 is in the same category as the 24 and 85 I don't think I can resist buying it much longer. Sell the 50 1.4G for $400 or so, and the 58 is a bargain at around $1300.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:29 PM
low325
• • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

ohsnaphappy wrote:
That's really encouraging. I just recently got into some threads about how disappointing the 35 1.4G is, whether that's true or not, I don't know. But if the 58 is in the same category as the 24 and 85 I don't think I can resist buying it much longer. Sell the 50 1.4G for $400 or so, and the 58 is a bargain at around $1300.

I mentioned in another thread that this lens needs breathing room. At very close focusing 1.9(min) ft to about 6 ft you're not going to get anything close to say a sigma 35 in terms of sharpness. But it's behaves just like the other Nikon's stellar primes wide open, which is known not to be blistering sharp. but when you throw in the bokeh and rendering the images are very pleasing. Of course that's my opinion and you may be looking for tack sharp image in close vicinity.

Also noticed that the lens seems rather longer than 58mm. Could be just my imagination though.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:52 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Hey guys sorry, been trying to put together a decent set for evaluation, been a little pressed for time though.

Early findings: yes, wide-open close-ups are sharpish, but not critically sharp. f/1.4 is a bit difficult to use on this lens up close cause of how slim the DOF is, portraits you're gonna need to stop down a little bit just to get the face sharp, not unlike the 85, but I think the rendering here is nicer. Around f/2-2.2 when it starts looking tack sharp the quality is just fantastic. I think the real sweetspot for this lens in that f/2-2.8 range, you can shoot close up portraits and still get amazing bokeh that way.

On the other hand, at f/1.4 give it breathing room and it all comes together. The rendering is gorgeous. You're gonna need to step back a little bit to make f/1.4 completely work.

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:07 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Did you own/use the 50 1.4G? Is the 58 in another league?

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:16 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Used the 50mm. I find 50's manageable when it comes to focus recompose @ f/1.4 or f/1.2 (had the AI-S too) but here I feel like the 8mm makes a difference. Neither of those lenses seemed that sharp to me wide-open. Sharpness and rendering wise I think the 58mm is very superior

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:38 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Did you own/use the 50 1.4G? Is the 58 in another league?

Yes I have the same question

Nov 07, 2013 at 03:11 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Can't find one now. I was very interested in purchasing through NPS once I decided to pull the trigger. But that process seems like a hassle. There aren't any Nikon dealers within a 50 mile radius from where I live. You should just be able to login into your NPS account and say, hey, I want to buy this, send it to me Maybe I'll call them on
Monday

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Bastian Bleu
• •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Can't find one now. I was very interested in purchasing through NPS once I decided to pull the trigger. But that process seems like a hassle. There aren't any Nikon dealers within a 50 mile radius from where I live. You should just be able to login into your NPS account and say, hey, I want to buy this, send it to me Maybe I'll call them on
Monday

Yeah i went through the PPP NPS mumbo jumbo and it is a hassle. I agree that you should just be able to log in and buy the lens directly from Nikon. They are so out of it at NPS, they don't even bother to proof read emails that have so many glaring errors. But still no 58 for me hopefully next week when I'm back on the East Coast.

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:14 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

I just ordered it on amazon, delivery is expected 11-20. We'll see! If I find it somewhere else I'll cancel my order and buy it there

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:53 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

"So my question is why would we even need to compare it against any of the 50mm lenses because it's seems like a specific hammer needed for a specific job on a construction site tool?

Just my questions and take on the whole thing?"

Because some of us just want a better performing lens at F/1.4 that is close or the same as 50mm. 58mm Isn't really that much longer, I walk around with my 60mm macro on my D800e and I like it when I don't need the speed. Also, I'm really interested in the transition from IF to OOF between this and the standard 50/1.4G. The smoother the better as it reminds me more of medium format.

I was one of the first to receive one from BH but I bought it on a whim. I thought about it and sent it back without opening it because I needed to allocate that sort of money to a new Mac.

Nov 10, 2013 at 09:44 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

Here's an analysis from a group whose mere mention induces an apoplexy in some here, more extreme than the uttering of K*n R*ckw*ll's name. It does however, echo Roger Cicala's take.

Courtesy, DxO:

"The original Noct-Nikkor was designed for a different era, and while this new lens shares the same focal length as that model that is the only real similarity. Nikon must be applauded for producing a high-speed standard lens with such low levels of chromatic aberration and vignetting at full aperture. Sharpness is a little low wide open but it is a desirable trait for certain genres, particularly portraiture, where this lens will serve double duty as a short tele on a DX (APS-C) body. Stopped down this lens is very sharp centrally, but at $1,700, it’s a huge premium to pay over the firm’s existing AF-S Nikkor 50mm f1.4 G."

More on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/11/12/nikon-58mm-f1-4g-lens-tested-at-dxomark.aspx/#ixzz2ka5qEre1

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Almass
• • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

LoL. Plus ca change et plus ca se resemble.

It is amazing lens after lens, reviewer after reviewer, it is the same old broken record.

An f1.4 lens is soft in the centre!

All lenses are soft at f1.4, the ^%$^%&$" is too thin for crying out loud!
Maybe they discovered boiling water and we don't know.

It simply gets to me all alleged reviewers, whether they wear big hats or shoot dolls or use IMA test or whatever the name is. It will not make a difference. ALL lenses of all makes at f1.4 are soft in the centre.....it is the law of physics and optics.

ALL lenses optics are a compromise of some sort. Learn it and use it to your advantage.

As for the 58/1.4. Obviously it is not a lens for the masses. It has it's own personality, it's unique signature which is the Bokeh and color rendition.....the only stars I shoot are morning ones

As far as I am concerned, a person who only shoot with primes, the 58/1.4 fits perfectly between the 24G and the 85'sG and is a perfect portrait lens.
I will not lug an Otus and I don't even like the name of it.

So far the only fifty I use are the Cron and the Lux, the Noct is seldom used.
The 58/1.4 is a welcome addtion and please let the reviewers continue peddling their blurb as it is somehow entertaining...IMA test et all.

The best lenses are the flawed ones!

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

As I was saying, apoplexy in some.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Nikon 58/1.4 G

As long as people think this is as sharp as F1.4 gets, then nikon will continue to sell this lens. For everyone else that knows there are sharp F1.4 lenses out there and this one isn't, they will pass on it....

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:52 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.