1       2       3              79      
       81              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mhespenheide
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.80 #1 · p.80 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

A question, if I may:

Between the LA-EA4 and LA-EA3, does only LA-EA4 allow for autofocus of a-mount (minolta legacy AF mount) lenses?

I had thought that the LA-EA3 allowed for AF on some Sony/Minolta AF lenses (the G-class, with the internal motors)?

Now as I'm reading the different product descriptions, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks,
Mark.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.80 #2 · p.80 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yes. Only LEA4.

mhespenheide wrote:
A question, if I may:

Between the LA-EA4 and LA-EA3, does only LA-EA4 allow for autofocus of a-mount (minolta legacy AF mount) lenses?

I had thought that the LA-EA3 allowed for AF on some Sony/Minolta AF lenses (the G-class, with the internal motors)?

Now as I'm reading the different product descriptions, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks,
Mark.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:17 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.80 #3 · p.80 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lee Saxon wrote:
Lots of comments on Steve Huff's articles about how this camera, which is too short for my entire hand to fit on the grip, is too big. Why? Because their pursuit as "photographers" is "street photography" and they need a camera their "subjects" won't notice. They admit it. THEY ADMIT IT.

How is that not a parole violation? Are these guys who aren't on the registry yet?

Taking a photo without subject awareness is the very definition of a candid shot.

Awareness of the observance inherently changes the subject's behavior to one degree or another and potentially ruins the essence of the shot.

Observational psychologists would also take issue with your assessment.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.80 #4 · p.80 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It seems that many of us in the US may be getting our cameras sooner than expected.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-news-for-usa-large-stock-a7-a7r-and-zeiss-35mm-arrived-in-stores-will-ship-soon/

In my case I am waiting for the AC charger, so my order for the A7r will probably be held up a bit longer.

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.80 #5 · p.80 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Great news Rich!

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:08 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.80 #6 · p.80 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Gary (sssh, don't tell anyone) but I've been told by someone in the know at Sony Canada that a "soft launch" will occur next week. As I understand it, prepaid pre-orders will be filled first (meaning allocations for them guaranteed) and then the rest.

I can hardly wait to start moaning about the shutter sounds.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.80 #7 · p.80 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'm not sure where to post this, but this seems like the most general A7/A7r thread.

I've been really liking the JTec L bracket with my Nex 7 (thank you Snowboarder) and I wanted to find out when they would have one available for the A7r. Here's the response that I received:

"Based on our measurements of the camera, our Mini Universal will fit the camera.We are moving away from dedicated brackets to those designed to adapt to various designs, and will have no dedicated A7/r bracket. We have found, in the digital age, customers change cameras much more often than in the film age, and are not pleased with having to change all their accessories every time they change cameras. So we are phasing in designs that are adaptable."

I didn't know if it was appropriate to post the link and No I do not have any affiliation whatsoever with Jtec. I hope this may help anyone looking to get their hands on an A7/A7r L bracket sooner rather than later.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:16 PM
mhespenheide
• •
p.80 #8 · p.80 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jeff,

Thanks for that. I ordered one and will report back once I have both in my possession. At worst I'll demote the jtec universal L-bracket to duty on my EOS-M; hopefully it will be good enough to hold me over until RRS or Kirk develop a dedicated L-bracket.

Jeff Kott wrote:
I'm not sure where to post this, but this seems like the most general A7/A7r thread.

I've been really liking the JTec L bracket with my Nex 7 (thank you Snowboarder) and I wanted to find out when they would have one available for the A7r. Here's the response that I received:

"Based on our measurements of the camera, our Mini Universal will fit the camera.We are moving away from dedicated brackets to those designed to adapt to various designs, and will have no dedicated A7/r bracket. We have found, in the digital age, customers change cameras much more often than
...Show more

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:04 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.80 #9 · p.80 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

From DPR, first comments from a new owner include a few tidbits I found interesting:

1. One can disable automatic focus magnification yet still manually magnify. I have MF Assist off from the Menu yet use hotkey c1 to magnify. I can now do the very same thing with an E Mount lens that I only could do with adapted lens with my old Nex-7. Thank you Sony for listening.

2. Peaking is there during MF magnification. But more one magnifies the less peaking is shown. Looks like peaking needs stronger setting than before, I have mine set to high now the see as much peaking as I did with my Nex-7. People say that there is
...Show more

I wonder if that visual infinity indicator will be suitable for astro-photography? Cool in any case.

More: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52557929

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:09 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.80 #10 · p.80 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'll do mine like the a99, Michael. Use the af/mf for focus mag (FM) which in the a99 is one press to show the box (in case you want to move it, I generally do not unless being very fussy on a 'pod) then one more press to get level one, then one more press for the higher level. I expect the same for the a7r as it uses alpha style menus.

I use peaking set low, I am lazy and value consistency more than lots of futzing with settings while shooting. Peaking on high with a sharp wide angle turns the EVF screen solid red/yellow/white!

I think peaking is good for all-of-view asssessment, but horse for courses, it can be fine with a telephoto to check an eyeball or eyelash. It attempts to cover DoF so test for personal preference as it can miss exact focus if your shot needs that.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.80 #11 · p.80 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks Lee, the final thing this thread needed was your judgement on street photography.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.80 #12 · p.80 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The A7R seems to be in stock here, but you can't get a native lens with it anymore.
The 35/2.8 delivery date (Sony online store) has moved to the end of January. I think that'll be a letdown for a lot of people.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:51 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.80 #13 · p.80 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jochenb wrote:
The A7R seems to be in stock here, but you can't get a native lens with it anymore.
The 35/2.8 delivery date (Sony online store) has moved to the end of January. I think that'll be a letdown for a lot of people.

That seems odd if you look at this link for SAR regarding both the cameras and the FE 35mm f2.8 lens.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-news-for-usa-large-stock-a7-a7r-and-zeiss-35mm-arrived-in-stores-will-ship-soon/

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.80 #14 · p.80 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

naturephoto1 wrote:
That seems odd if you look at this link for SAR regarding both the cameras and the FE 35mm f2.8 lens.

Rich

Maybe they just shipped them all to the US?
I now checked the Sony store in other European countries (the Netherlands, France, Germany,...) and the same story there. End of January.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:58 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.80 #15 · p.80 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Rich, from what I can tell availability for lenses varies in different parts of the world. Allocations for pre-orders have probably been distributed and/or they are holding back some lenses. I recall when the NEX-7 and other components and lenses (SA24/1.8, the EVF for 5N) was introduced the availability indicated in various Sony on-line stores for different countries would vary greatly. In Canada stock would be available one day, not the next, then show up later in the day.

Store.sony.com stlil lists the FE35 as shipping Dec 1 but that might change soon!

In Canada the lens isn't even listed on their on-line site, but cameras are shown as shipping next week.

I give up trying to figure it out, but do believe there'll be a FE35 lens with my camera when I'm called to come pick up my order next week. What I really want is the FE55 to be there too, but don't expect it.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:03 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.80 #16 · p.80 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jochenb wrote:
Maybe they just shipped them all to the US?
I now checked the Sony store in other European countries (the Netherlands, France, Germany,...) and the same story there. End of January.

No bokeh for you

never forget the Marshall Plan,

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:06 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.80 #17 · p.80 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Crossing fingers.....I guess we'll see if I pre ordered soon enough.....

I was thinking it would start shipping in the US before the 12/1 date but I was beginning to wonder.

-Tim

naturephoto1 wrote:
It seems that many of us in the US may be getting our cameras sooner than expected.

In my case I am waiting for the AC charger, so my order for the A7r will probably be held up a bit longer.

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.80 #18 · p.80 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

uhoh7 wrote:
No bokeh for you

never forget the Marshall Plan,

Oh I wasn't planning to get the A7(R) right now, but it might be interesting for my fellow European people.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:00 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.80 #19 · p.80 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Steve Huff awakes:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/20/midnight-crazy-comparison-high-iso-sony-a7-a7r-leica-m-and-e-m1/

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:24 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.80 #20 · p.80 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Huff also runs into some smart people questions re shutter noise Leica M and a7r:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/20/click-click-thunk-shutter-sound-comparison-sony-a7r-vs-leica-m/

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.