Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              77      
       79              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #1 · p.78 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jeff Kott wrote:
Sure, he's got a valid opinion. My opinion is that he's totally missing the big picture here.

Somebody finally built a FF mirrorless camera for less than $7K. But what the hell, let's nit pick it to death and say it's not a good camera in spite of all the opinions and photos to the contrary.

Nit-picking? Here? That never happens.

It's probably best to keep things in perspective, though. Not every shooter in the world has been dying to get their hands on a sub-7k FF mirrorless. Some are even perfectly content with what they shoot now and didn't slavishly follow the rumor sites, pinning a lot of hopes and fears on what the camera would and wouldn't be and do. And even of those who did, some were bound to be disappointed. In the big picture, it's simply not going to be the camera for everyone.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:11 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #2 · p.78 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Emacs - Good luck in your quest. You get to save money an dkeep disliking stuff, many here may get to make the best images they can.

'I suspect that he's not mad, but he could be angry - with cause.'
Care to share the 'cause' with us?

On the other hand, I got really fumed up at a toaster the other day - the thing was coloured white - the nerve of some companies! I am keeping my pieces of bread for one with a swivel entry...which must starts up in a nanosecond..or I shall scream.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:13 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.78 #3 · p.78 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

'Not every shooter in the world has been dying to get their hands on a sub-7k FF mirrorless. etc'

sure, sure..but..I mean would you go stand outside a BMW showroom as they unveiled a new model inside and hold up a sign with what you see as problems with the car in the faces of willing buyers ?

'Hey people, it only comes in dark red, I need light red!'
'the auto trans is only six speed, harumph.'

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.78 #4 · p.78 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

freaklikeme wrote:
In the big picture, it's simply not going to be the camera for everyone.

I don't recall anyone saying or implying that the A7/A7r are the camera for everyone. It's just annoying when someone isn't interested in a new camera and they proclaim it to be "bad" based on a number of complaints that are really minor considering the overall technical achievement, especially since there is no real competition to these cameras for those who are looking for a FF compact ILC.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:49 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.78 #5 · p.78 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I am not annoyed by Emacs' comment. I am sorry for anyone who has to wade through 78 pages of just one thread of just one forum for a camera he feels is bad.
And good luck waiting for a camera borne out of a technology and cooperation which are at the stage of presenting papers to the scentific community. That is going to be some long wait. And who knows if, after that, the result will include a tilt EVF and touch screen?

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:13 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.78 #6 · p.78 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I agree with emacs almost 100% and add the stupid loud shutter.

But I hate APS-C crop even worse, so I'll live with that Sh*t

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.78 #7 · p.78 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

uhoh7 wrote:

My guess is that when most of us get our cameras and start to use them quirks and idiosyncrasies and all that we will just be very happy with the performance and the capabilities never before possible with our legacy and native glass.

Rich

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.78 #8 · p.78 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
'Not every shooter in the world has been dying to get their hands on a sub-7k FF mirrorless. etc'

sure, sure..but..I mean would you go stand outside a BMW showroom as they unveiled a new model inside and hold up a sign with what you see as problems with the car in the faces of willing buyers ?

'Hey people, it only comes in dark red, I need light red!'
'the auto trans is only six speed, harumph.'

Funny you would specifically mention BMW. You must have missed the story about the angry BMW owner who smashed his M6 with a sledgehammer and axe outside of the Frankfurt auto show (where BMW was unveiling new models) in protest.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Smash-Angry-owner-destroys-BMW-M6-20130917

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.78 #9 · p.78 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

naturephoto1 wrote:
My guess is that when most of us get our cameras and start to use them quirks and idiosyncrasies and all that we will just be very happy with the performance and the capabilities never before possible with our legacy and native glass.

Rich

Now, if I can't collapse my new 1952 red scale elmar........that may be too much.

But seriously, I do wish it was just a waterproof FF nex-5, topped by the lastest ultra thin glass, with deconvolution formulas for the top 50 RF wide angles.

But nobody cares......

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.78 #10 · p.78 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

uhoh7 wrote:

Personally, I found shutter sound not too loud. It is not that different from NEX-5n (which is loud, sure, but I'm used to it).
BTW, I tried Lux 35 ASPH FLE and it worked quite well WO: there's a vignetting, but I didn't see color shift on white background. It also seems sharp enough at edges and f8.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uhoh7
• • • •
p.78 #11 · p.78 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Emacs wrote:
Personally, I found shutter sound not too loud. It is not that different from NEX-5n (which is loud, sure, but I'm used to it).
BTW, I tried Lux 35 ASPH FLE and it worked quite well: there's a vignetting, but I didn't saw color shift on white background. It also seems sharp enough at edges and f8.

But was that the A7r shutter or the A7 shutter?

supposedly big dif....

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.78 #12 · p.78 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

uhoh7 wrote
But was that the A7r shutter or the A7 shutter?

supposedly big dif....

A7r. NEX-5n is LOUD compared to my Pentax K-5 I had before.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.78 #13 · p.78 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Emacs wrote:
A7r. NEX-5n is LOUD compared to my Pentax K-5 I had before.

Have you ever used a digital camera with a focal plane shutter quieter than a K5? That's a pretty high bar.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.78 #14 · p.78 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Have you ever used a digital camera with a focal plane shutter quieter than a K5? That's a pretty high bar.

Also look at the weight difference between the Pentax K-5 and the Sony A7r to absorb some of the shutter noise.

Rich

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.78 #15 · p.78 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

My Nikon FM3A shutter produces a gun shot sound.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:06 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.78 #16 · p.78 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

kezeka wrote:
I live in Texas and even there, there are plenty of reasons to not have a touch screen. In the summer I have so much sweat when I hike that I have to constantly wipe my hands off on my shirt in order to use my iPhone - which I guarantee has a better capacitive array than anything sony puts into its cameras. In the winter, I don't want to have to take my hands out of gloves to us my camera when it dips below 40 degrees (usually when I am traveling) or I just don't want to have
...Show more

It is not about forcing one to use a touch screen, but allowing the option. Your "prosumer" argument also fails when you look at the other "craptastic trends" included with the camera -- tilt LCD, auto modes ON THE DIAL, video, that damned autofocus stuff too!!

Not everyone walks around with sweaty or frozen fingers, and when looking at the NEX line, the models without a touch screen are usually dinged for its exclusion because (gasp) they are useful to have.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:21 PM
alwang
• • •
p.78 #17 · p.78 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Gary Clennan wrote:
How dare you have a negative opinion about this camera! This camera is amazing - even though not many people own one yet…. Seriously though, it is nice to hear your opinion even if it contradicts the masses.

What masses? I read more negative posts on these cameras these days than positive. We're well into the disillusionment phase of the hype cycle- almost before the camera has released.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.78 #18 · p.78 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

naturephoto1 wrote:
Also look at the weight difference between the Pentax K-5 and the Sony A7r to absorb some of the shutter noise.

Rich

Perhaps that's part of the story. There does seem to be something else contributing to the specific sound signature reviewers have ascribed to the A7r shutter. Out of curiosity, has Sony ever mentioned anything about shutter life expectancy with the A7's? I'm guessing it would likely be an easy replacement given the simplicity of the camera.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:35 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.78 #19 · p.78 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

A7r to me sounds almost exactly like a NEX-5N or maybe A77 if they had to use a double-cock of the shutter (instead of EFCS), which the A7r does. This is from multiple sound videos, though, not hands-on.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.78 #20 · p.78 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I wonder if any further attempt to dampen the sound from the shutter would have resulted in more vibration. Meaning sound can cause vibration, but transferring the vibration to the chassis might cause more.

Now I'm into the pure conjecture phase of the hype.

-Tim

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password