FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              69      
       71              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.70 #1 · p.70 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Mainstream 'professional' reviewers sign the Reviewer's Oath to always find something wrong with any new camera...this applies in spades for disruptive technology (like industry leading performance in a well-designed, multi-platform, highly capable tiny camera) and they reserve special agro for anything with S-O-N-Y on the product.

It's a fact of life and the cognoscenti here can get over their comedic scribblings it with a tilt of the head and a light chortle. BTW, these jerks are the underlying reason why real photographers read reviews by real photographers, in various web blogs.

They are not writing for you - the impartial but interested observer - but playing to an audience, who ah, don't use Sonys...hence 'this dial moves too easily when I play with it', 'the edges are edgy', 'Sony makes electronic products' etc. The really important stuff, right?

The bottom line is this: no one know what to compare it to. The shutter is louder than the RX1 but as quiet or quieter than the DSLRs; the AF is not OM-D rapier fast but very satisfactory for non-pros..

PS I strongly advice to only buy from well recognised and regarded outlets in the US. The shonky guys have been operating for decades, and are not to be trusted as far as you can kick them.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:16 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.70 #2 · p.70 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yikes, look at the number of boxes of A7 and A7r cameras and accessories:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/lae4-adapter-in-stock-at-bhphoto-and-look-at-that-large-stock-of-a7r-in-hong-kong/

Rich

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:29 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.70 #3 · p.70 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The guy I like at present, and yes he is a Sony user (a99), is Frank Doorhof, here he looks the way the Fuji XE-1 and the a7r appeal to him. Both are fine cameras, but the a7r is just tailor made for travelling photographers:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/11/fujifilm-vs-sony-a7r/

Finally a not too outlandish lens road map at SAR, the interesting part is the voting for what readers want...Sony read this material and hopefully factor it into their plans:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/almost-certainly-fake-but-i-love-it-the-super-sony-fe-lens-roadmap/

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:38 PM
navyasw02
• •
p.70 #4 · p.70 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

uhoh7 wrote:
yes, but around here one sentence on a review site is "doomsday"

I only spent a few minutes with it, I'm going back first thing this morning when it's not packed (there was a decent sized crowd around the display). These are just my first impressions, dont take them too seriously. I was mainly looking at it for a few aspects: AF, shutter sound, and overall size. The AF was definitely adequate and fast, but I had trouble locking focus at one point when I was playing with it. Probably was due to the settings which I didnt have time to take an hour to read in Japanese because my Japanese sucks.

Size was my main concern. I wanted to see how big and heavy the 24-70 was in the flesh and it was definitely a manageable size. I think the Zeiss will likely be about the same.

Shutter sound - about the same as my 5D. Not bad but disappointing after using the RX1 for a year, but I expected it based on the reviews.

Overall I'm sure this camera will be awesome, but I'm not ready to dump all my Canon gear and switch yet. I'm holding out for more wide angle options and maybe the next generation will be better. Another thing is I'm certainly not buying it while I'm living in Japan, the Japanese models can't change language settings to English! I leave my Japanese RX1 set up in a certain way and dont touch any settings unless I'm sure what it is.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:26 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.70 #5 · p.70 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

^ Navy, did you try out the A7r or A7?

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:36 PM
navyasw02
• •
p.70 #6 · p.70 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Both. Didn't see much of an appreciable difference in AF speed, but again it's only in store testing and only for a few minutes. Lighting in there is harsh florescent.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.70 #7 · p.70 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The cameras will turn out really good jpegs, as in acceptable to all but very fussy users. Sony invested very heavily in signal processing of jpegs for this reason - so differential noise reduction etc. will win over a lot of casual shooters. a7r worked RAWs will be amazing, of course, Adobe already has a beta release out.

A lot of people are moving up to full frame with the a7 series, and a lot more are going to use lenses, either FE or adapter mounted, with exquisite bokeh. Zeiss already have signalled this aspect in the RX1 and Otus, and of course their famous cine lenses.

I expect, and hope for, much more *cinematic images* from now on. You see rather dry formal comments about DoF 'control' etc. but, along with relaxed and detailed drawing, this is the quality that truly separates full frame from the smaller formats - excluding telephoto images which flatten depth, you cannot get the combination of great in-plane sharpness and flowing OOF any other (affordable) way. Even APS-C needs the in-focus subject to be so close it could bite you..

People turn this argument around and rightly argue that 35mm needs a lot of stop down work to attain deep DOF - yes, which is why the EVF and high ISO performance will be so important - to tailor your own results before taking the shot. The a7r is every bit as good as the RX1 at a true ISO 9000, at which point both are as good as the OM-D EM-1 is at a true ISO 3000.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.70 #8 · p.70 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Shops are a terrible way to 'test' a camera, you would be hard pressed to find a worse place - hideous fluoro light, people everywhere, walls that bounce sound back at you, futzing with unfamiliar controls, no ability to attend to handholding technique - you could almost reach the same conclusions as a typical reviewer..

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.70 #9 · p.70 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

^ I've found Sony's past jpegs pretty good except for one area - OOF bokeh areas on their previous (A77) cameras just looked like ass for some reason. I probably can't dig up a personal copy because I deleted them, but they just blocked up fairly yucky IIRC, instead of smooth tonal transitions.

I guess if the A7 has "painterly" JPEG bokeh that's an improvement

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
kroyston
• •
p.70 #10 · p.70 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

navyasw02 wrote:
Another thing is I'm certainly not buying it while I'm living in Japan, the Japanese models can't change language settings to English!

I'd be really surprised if that was the case, I've bought multiple cams in Japan and have been able change the language. Further I was able to do so on both the A7 and A7R in Shanghai, it did take 20 minutes to figure out. I'd be shocked if the Factory in Thailand is flashing different versions of firmware. I guess I'll find out though in about 4 hours when I visit Yodobashi in Yokohama.

In the meantime you may want to double check your RX1...

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.70 #11 · p.70 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Mr. Navy is not wrong. I can confirm it, as I just took delivery of the A7r this morning. For some dumb reason Sony cameras sold for the Japanese domestic market are sold without a way to change the language setting. The main reason I suspect is that is A7r can be found here for over 300 dollars less than back in the US. Keeps people from buying a bunch and selling them abroad. I can read the language pretty fluently (my job), but I would still like to have the option to put it into English

One thing I have found out about the camera I don't like. I was planning on using my Ipad to control the camera to check focus and save jpgs to the Ipad and RAWs to the camera. But the Sony App doesnt allow that it only allows you to save and transfer JPGS in the play memories app. Shame the app could have really been useful to me. But since it only saves JPGs it wont be getting much use.

Ryan

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:31 AM
kroyston
• •
p.70 #12 · p.70 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

So desu ne! My cherrios just got p!ssed in!

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:37 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.70 #13 · p.70 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Congatulations on your new camera, Ryan!

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:02 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.70 #14 · p.70 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

http://store.sony.CA/ finally has pre-order capability up, with a ship date 24 Nov. You can't order any FE lenses but that's not a problem as lenses just rob valuable light from the sensor. Think of the lens-less camera as the ultimate in bokeh machines.

At any rate, the end is nigh.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:40 AM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.70 #15 · p.70 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Okay. I stand corrected there is a way to save RAW and JPEG via the app; its buried in a submenu but its there. Now I just need the adapter to arrive in the morning so I can actually use it.

Also, I think the grip may come in handy, the body is actually smaller than my Xpro 1 and without the grip it is a little harder to hold than I expected.

Ryan

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:51 AM
fotoingo2

p.70 #16 · p.70 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

D*mn, want my preorder right now too !

Really hope the 28-80 is not too shabby and my Contax G lenses and the 24mm Elmar Asph work reasonably well...

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:57 AM
FMTopFan
• •
p.70 #17 · p.70 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hi all, I've already pre-ordered the A7R, but have been wondering if I should cancel.

The main reason for wanting a camera like A7R is the positively amazing experience I've had with RX1R. But owners of RX1(R) would know, the 35mm is a bit limiting, often at times, focal lengths such as 50 or 85 are desired.

Do you think it's too crazy to get the A7R just to use it as an "RX1-55mm" or "RX1-85mm" later? I'm not interested in getting any of the zooms or macros because I never shoot with those.

I know A7R has a lot of pros such as tilt screen, weather sealed body, wifi etc, but one thing that I'm disgusted by is its shutter sound. I've handled the A7R on two separate occasions already during Sony's events, I just couldn't get used to the loud vibrating shutter, especially after I've been using "almost silent" cameras like the GR and RX1R for the past few months.

What do you think? Should I wait and pray that Sony would release an RX2-55mm or RX3-85mm?

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:30 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.70 #18 · p.70 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I think it's doubtful Sony will release an RX version with a different focal length lens at this point since it would compete somewhat with the A7's. I suspect a 36MP RX1 is next (which, particularly if you don't need the MP's, would allow for cropping to replicate longer focal lengths).

The FE 55 appears to be a really exceptional lens and I'm sure some will buy into the A7's just for that lens, when it's available. There will almost certainly be an FE 85 1.8 or so but it might be a while.

An A7 will never be an RX1 with respect to shooting experience - silent shutter, aperture control on lens, higher build quality, finder options, faster lens yet more compact and so on.

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:53 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.70 #19 · p.70 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

fredmirandafan wrote:
Hi all, I've already pre-ordered the A7R, but have been wondering if I should cancel.

The main reason for wanting a camera like A7R is the positively amazing experience I've had with RX1R. But owners of RX1(R) would know, the 35mm is a bit limiting, often at times, focal lengths such as 50 or 85 are desired.

Do you think it's too crazy to get the A7R just to use it as an "RX1-55mm" or "RX1-85mm" later? I'm not interested in getting any of the zooms or macros because I never shoot with those.

I know A7R has a lot of
...Show more

As to the question of how loud the shutter of the A7r, I really do not think that it is any louder than most any DSLR or SLR camera and in all likelihood it is quieter than most. There just isn't enough mass in the A7r to absorb more of the shutter sound and shock. The camera has a large focal plane shutter and it is not fair to compare the sound of that shutter to the very small and light leaf shutter in the RX1r,

I know it is a dream of many, though I could be mistaken, but I would think it unlikely that Sony will release a 55mm or an 85mm version of the RX1 cameras.

Additionally, if you did decide to go forward with the purchase of the A7r it would give you the option of having both the 55mm and 85mm lenses with you to change one for the other if the need or conditions were to arise.

Rich

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 08:03 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:59 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.70 #20 · p.70 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

the sony a9r will have a noise cancelling shutter to quiet up the whining.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.