Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              58      
       60              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.59 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Toothwalker wrote:
Is it the lack of microcontrast or the nervous bokeh that impresses you? Clearly I am less enthusiastic.

By the way, is that greyish-blue rectangular grid structure in the iris a natural phenomenon?

That's a common problem when using high res cameras to shoot models wearing colored contacts.

Nov 11, 2013 at 04:36 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.59 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Guys..here is a question...maybe one of you know this...
I know that alpha mount lenses will phase detect with A7r when mounted on LEA4 adapter. Will they CDAF as well? The reason i am asking this is that i find contrast detect to be way more accurate vis a vis PDAF..
Also, there is an eye detect focussing feature in A7r...does it work on adapted lenses...especially in A mount+LEA4 combination? Again though initially dissmissed as a gimmic, i was blown away by this feature in Oly OM-D. Eyes just pop when shooting a portrait.
I am thinking about Sigma 50 and 85 1.4s.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.59 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

douglasf13 wrote:
That's a common problem when using high res cameras to shoot models wearing colored contacts.

Aha. I don't recall having seen this before. But then, I have not shot a professional model in 15 years.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:05 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.59 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

douglasf13 wrote:

thanks! i was wondering about that too.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:09 PM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.59 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
thanks! i was wondering about that too.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing - thought maybe it was a reflection or something.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:58 PM
frozenbc

p.59 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Indeed, I've done so little work with professional models that I had not been aware of the contact phenomenon before yesterday. This has been discussed to death, but these crazy res sensors create their own sorts of challenges.

nandadevieast:

After the quick hands-on yesterday, I can confirm that eye-detect AFdoes work with a-mount adapted lenses using the LA-EA4. And it seemed quite snappy too!

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:01 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.59 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

frozenbc wrote:
Indeed, I've done so little work with professional models that I had not been aware of the contact phenomenon before yesterday. This has been discussed to death, but these crazy res sensors create their own sorts of challenges.

nandadevieast:

After the quick hands-on yesterday, I can confirm that eye-detect AFdoes work with a-mount adapted lenses using the LA-EA4. And it seemed quite snappy too!

I hope you're correct, but just a heads-up that seeing a white box identifying a face in the EVF doesn't make the camera focus on that face. You'll get the white box even with manual focus alt lenses on.

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.59 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

frozenbc wrote:

I don't know what these challenges are. If this is what the contact lens looks like in reality, then you will see the same structures with lower resolution sensors if the image magnification is a bit larger. The eye is not particularly big or well resolved in this picture.

Nov 11, 2013 at 07:42 PM
frozenbc

p.59 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

A fair bit of warning Toothwalker, and now you've got me doubting what I saw. But just rarely. I wasn't handling the camera at the time, but I'm 99% sure I saw an A7 + LA-EA4 + Zeiss ZA 50 1.4 tracking a subject's actual eyeballs (NOT face) on the lcd. However, the subject was looking directly into the camera, so it's anyone's guess how this feature holds up in real-world use.

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.59 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

These examples from the 35/2.8 show busier bokeh than I'm used seeing from the 35/2 on my RX1:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799841926/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799713185/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799760014/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799821814/

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

michael49
• • • • •
p.59 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Can anyone verify if the A7(r) has auto ISO with ability to set a minimum SS?

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.59 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jochenb wrote:
These examples from the 35/2.8 show busier bokeh than I'm used seeing from the 35/2 on my RX1:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799841926/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799713185/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799760014/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunpid/10799821814/

Ouch! The F2 Sonnar on the RX1 is dramatically better than that with bokeh. That's the first example of poor bokeh I have seen from the FE 35 2.8.

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:37 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.59 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Short 'interested observer' report from the 'PDNshow' (whatever that is), from SAR, confirming what is obvious from Sony gifting buyers (like me) an LAEA4/metabones M/C/N >E adapter with the a7r - plus their general strategy to use alt lenses (CN are now Alt, get used to it) for their users' pleasure and to cover all the 'not enough native lenses' moaning until Zeiss start unleashing more FE and MF lenses.

Not enough lenses, eh - look in your bag, use what you already have, unless you have an RX1 or similar it will go on.

'..the Sony people to my surprise were actively talking about 3rd party lens options, adapters, legacy glass from other makes, etc. By actively I mean encouraging it—and not just at the booths one-on-one, but in their mini-theater presentations, too.'

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-best-sony-pdnshow-report-by-sar-reader-tex/

PS the RX1 does quite well bokeh wise - putting it politely - against Leica's best 35mm lenses, so it is a very high bar to jump.

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:42 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.59 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Ouch! The F2 Sonnar on the RX1 is dramatically better than that with bokeh. That's the first example of poor bokeh I have seen from the FE 35 2.8.

It'd be nice but probably overly optimistic to expect RX1 class bokeh from the little FE35/2.8. I was hoping they would bring out a RX1 class killer-35mm but figured that might wait a while for understandable competitive reasons. Maybe the 35 is one lens where we'll see "high speed" primes in 2014 or 2015 per the Sony musings on their FE roadmap.

The FE55 on the other hand so far looks very good in the out of focus areas.

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:58 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.59 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
Short 'interested observer' report from the 'PDNshow' (whatever that is), from SAR, confirming what is obvious from Sony gifting buyers (like me) an LAEA4/metabones M/C/N >E adapter with the a7r - plus their general strategy to use alt lenses (CN are now Alt, get used to it) for their users' pleasure and to cover all the 'not enough native lenses' moaning until Zeiss start unleashing more FE and MF lenses.

Not enough lenses, eh - look in your bag, use what you already have, unless you have an RX1 or similar it will go on.

'..the Sony people to
...Show more

Philip,

The PDN show is the PhotoPlus Show in NYC. It is now put on by Photo District News (PDN).

Rich

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.59 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

michaelwatkins wrote:
It'd be nice but probably overly optimistic to expect RX1 class bokeh from the little FE35/2.8. I was hoping they would bring out a RX1 class killer-35mm but figured that might wait a while for understandable competitive reasons. Maybe the 35 is one lens where we'll see "high speed" primes in 2014 or 2015 per the Sony musings on their FE roadmap.

The FE55 on the other hand so far looks very good in the out of focus areas.

Yes, the examples from the FE 55 look very good excepting a little strong LoCA in some instances.

I don't think the lack of an F2 or faster 35mm prime is due to concern over competing against the RX1 as much as technical issues in creating an interchangeable FF E-Mount lens of that caliber and performance. Sony has said as much previously.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:33 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.59 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Tariq Gibran wrote:

I'm wondering if the intrinsic 'clarity' that the new cameras are boasting will cause funky bokeh in some cases. Or could it be oversharpening? The bokeh looks kind of sharpened to me, instead of melting smoothly away.

Can't tell if it's the optic or the processing, but it is fairly distracting in those images.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.59 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mco_970 wrote:
I'm wondering if the intrinsic 'clarity' that the new cameras are boasting will cause funky bokeh in some cases. Or could it be oversharpening? The bokeh looks kind of sharpened to me, instead of melting smoothly away.

Can't tell if it's the optic or the processing, but it is fairly distracting in those images.

To me, it definitely looks like a product of the optics in those examples.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:52 PM
alwang
• • •
p.59 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Tariq Gibran wrote:
To me, it definitely looks like a product of the optics in those examples.

I see both: I see unnaturally sharp edges to the highlights that looks the result of overprocessing (that set of images on a whole look kinda cooked), but I also see some distracting irregular shapes to the oof areas that seem more a result of optics.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.59 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yes, the odd bokeh shapes and brightness are due to the optics. Given those examples are probably close to the minimum focus distance of the lens, it may be the bokeh looks dramatically better at other distances, particularly since I don't recall seeing FE 35 bokeh that bad previously (and I have been looking at it in examples).

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password