Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              39      
40
       41              194       195       end
  

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless
  
 
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #1 · p.40 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


philip_pj wrote:
Summilux 50, the M lens? I hope no one is expecting great things of this one on an a7r in terms of corner resolution even if it played nicely. Its MTF argue otherwise. It's not great shakes even at f5.6. You are being kind, Taylor. The image is near to worthless except for corner colour assessment maybe. The blurry OOF leaf litter looks the same as elsewhere.

http://en.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/lenses_for_rangefinder_cameras/summilux-m_50_mm_f14_asph/index.html

Maybe I have the wrong one. Wide open it acts like a typical f1.4 lens, the kind that prompted Zeiss to make the mighty Otus.


I think you are thinking of older versions when saying it wide open acts like a typical f/1.4 lens. The current 50 Lux M is clearly different from a typical lens. That is wide open. When stopped down good typical f/1.4 lenses can be as good as long as we look at contrast and resolution only. The bokeh from the Lux is, in technical terms, neutral most of the time (meaning people often writes creamy and beautiful and smooth).

But, there is always a but, when I had the lens and used it with my Nex 5 the corners and borders weren't good. How the lens and the A7R will behave together seem to early to tell. A wait and see warning flag is at place.



Oct 25, 2013 at 06:57 AM
SKumar25
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #2 · p.40 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


philip_pj wrote:
Summilux 50, the M lens? I hope no one is expecting great things of this one on an a7r in terms of corner resolution even if it played nicely. Its MTF argue otherwise. It's not great shakes even at f5.6. You are being kind, Taylor. The image is near to worthless except for corner colour assessment maybe. The blurry OOF leaf litter looks the same as elsewhere.

http://en.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/lenses_for_rangefinder_cameras/summilux-m_50_mm_f14_asph/index.html

Maybe I have the wrong one. Wide open it acts like a typical f1.4 lens, the kind that prompted Zeiss to make the mighty Otus.


Is this a serious post? I've owned many a 1.4 lens, and the 50 lux asph is far from typical. How does one compare this to otus when that is 4 times larger and heavier.




Oct 25, 2013 at 07:25 AM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #3 · p.40 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Don't knock all 1.4's. Sigma 35/1.4 is sharp from the get go and only gets better.

On another topic... AUTOFOCUS:

PhotographyBay.com - Hands On
Autofocus if fast and accurate; however, in my brief and informal tests with face detection AF turned on, I found it to be a little hit or miss. Single-point AF was just as fast as you would expect in a DSLR. I was surprised that the A7R focused as fast as it did. I expect a noticeable falloff in AF speed since it does not have the phase detection built into the pixels like the A7; however, I couldn’t tell much of a difference using the cameras back-to-back.



Oct 25, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Jochenb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #4 · p.40 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


G-Gore wrote:
The biggest issue was camera's overall performance. At first camera was snappy, until I switched it to RAW format (originally it was set for Fine JPEG format). Then it lost it's responsiveness. Every time I took a photo I had to wait about 2 sec for the buffer to refresh. During that time camera is not reacting to shutter, nor EVF is being displayed. With my Canon 5Dm2 I could always shoot as often as I want until buffer is full. Here - no way :-(


Did it have an SD cart in it? I'm quite sure it didn't.
The same also happens with other cameras (the Fuji X-E1 for example) when there's no card in the camera.





Oct 25, 2013 at 08:36 AM
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #5 · p.40 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


michaelwatkins wrote:
Don't knock all 1.4's. Sigma 35/1.4 is sharp from the get go and only gets better.

On another topic... AUTOFOCUS:

PhotographyBay.com - Hands On


Fantastic! Single point AF is the way to go for people who know what they're doing.



Oct 25, 2013 at 08:42 AM
Jochenb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #6 · p.40 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Great news if the AF speed of both cameras is about the same!


Oct 25, 2013 at 08:54 AM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #7 · p.40 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


After spending hours tuning lenses to work well with the D800's PDAF system, I'll be amply satisfied with the A7r if it merely has fast-enough CDAF that is accurate. Zippy and accurate would be icing on the cake, gravy on the plate, you know what I mean.

I'm putting my order in tomorrow morning.



Oct 25, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Atlasman2
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #8 · p.40 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Jochenb wrote:
Most people here go for the A7R, but I still can't choose.
I don't like that both models differ that much. The cheaper A7 has: electronic first curtain shutter, faster flash sync speed, better faster PDAF+CDAF,... Which can be important features for some.
Argh.

I agree, Sony should have at least had optimized microlenses on the A7. I chose the A7, it seems to be a better all-arounder.



Oct 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #9 · p.40 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


I think you nailed it. The cameras have very small internal memory.

Jochenb wrote:
Did it have an SD cart in it? I'm quite sure it didn't.
The same also happens with other cameras (the Fuji X-E1 for example) when there's no card in the camera.





Oct 25, 2013 at 01:09 PM
telyt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #10 · p.40 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Jochenb wrote:
Did it have an SD cart in it? I'm quite sure it didn't.
The same also happens with other cameras (the Fuji X-E1 for example) when there's no card in the camera.


If this is the same sample reviewed at PhotographyBay (the PhotographyBay photos of the camera look like they were made at a trade show) the rear LCD clearly says NO CARD.



Oct 25, 2013 at 02:01 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



802walker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #11 · p.40 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


This is a backpacking landscape photographers dream. But Sony needs a NATIVE wide angle lens. Is there any word on this?


Oct 25, 2013 at 02:55 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #12 · p.40 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Ultra wide angle zoom for 2014 according to the roadmap.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/10/sony-nex-e-mount-lens-roadmap-2013-2015.html



Oct 25, 2013 at 02:57 PM
802walker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #13 · p.40 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Ultra wide angle zoom for 2014 according to the roadmap.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/10/sony-nex-e-mount-lens-roadmap-2013-2015.html



So is 24mm equivalent to a 12mm on a cropped DSLR?



Oct 25, 2013 at 03:10 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #14 · p.40 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


More like an 18mm (1.5-1.6X Crop factor)


Oct 25, 2013 at 03:11 PM
802walker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #15 · p.40 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


rji2goleez wrote:
More like an 18mm (1.5-1.6X Crop factor)



That's not even close to ultrawide

I long for a 10 or 12 mm prime equivalent. Or at least those lengths in a zoom.



Oct 25, 2013 at 03:12 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #16 · p.40 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Did you see the reports that the sony 10-18mm E-Mount works down to about 12-13 on the a7R?



Oct 25, 2013 at 03:14 PM
802walker
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #17 · p.40 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


rji2goleez wrote:
Did you see the reports that the sony 10-18mm E-Mount works down to about 12-13 on the a7R?



Haha, that ain't gonna cut it. Sony, hear me now. I will sell all my Canon and Fuji gear when you release a native UWA for this system. (I know they are listening!)



Oct 25, 2013 at 03:45 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #18 · p.40 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


802walker wrote:
So is 24mm equivalent to a 12mm on a cropped DSLR?


The rumored wide zoom is allegedly going to be 16-35, and 16 would be about 11mm'ish on crop.



Oct 25, 2013 at 04:45 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #19 · p.40 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


802walker wrote:
Haha, that ain't gonna cut it. Sony, hear me now. I will sell all my Canon and Fuji gear when you release a native UWA for this system. (I know they are listening!)


Oh, I would never buy it outright for the FF. But if you happen to already own it, it might serve the purpose for a time.



Oct 25, 2013 at 05:06 PM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #20 · p.40 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


telyt wrote:
If this is the same sample reviewed at PhotographyBay (the PhotographyBay photos of the camera look like they were made at a trade show) the rear LCD clearly says NO CARD.


There you go guys, bringing intuition, insight, investigation and cold hard facts to counter a point of contention born of utter speculation.

How are we supposed to have ongoing angst in this environment? Stop with the facts and rational wait and see approach!



Oct 25, 2013 at 05:17 PM
1       2       3              39      
40
       41              194       195       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              39      
40
       41              194       195       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password