Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              192      
       194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lan11
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.193 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

After reading about A7r I wonder. Are you people serious?
You are paying almost $2500 for a camera which has only two quality native lenses and suffers from shutter vibrations and on top of this you’re paying $500 !!! for a lousy adapter which suffers from internal reflections, light leaks and poor fit on the camera body?
Has sanity evaporated under pressure of hype and advertising? :-)

May 08, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.193 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lan11 wrote:
You are paying almost $2500 for a camera which has only two quality native lenses and suffers from shutter vibrations and on top of this you’re paying $500 !!! for a lousy adapter which suffers from internal reflections, light leaks and poor fit on the camera body?

I suggest that you rent an A7r and FE 55 1.8 lens, spend two days taking photos with it, look at them on your computer and print 5 of your favorite ones and then get back to us on how you feel about the camera.

May 08, 2014 at 10:20 PM
cengell
• •
p.193 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I second that Jeff! Some people think they know what they are thinking about, but until you shoot with a A7r for a few days then they will understand.

True what Lan11 is saying but until one shoots and understands the whole picture (pardon the pun) then they may understand.

But this is what this forum is for?

Christopher

May 08, 2014 at 10:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.193 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lan11 wrote:

actually, i paid $1260 for an a7 and didn't buy any lenses or adapters to go with it (because i had them). so far image quality seems to exceed or match the more expensive dslrs i've shot with, seems like a pretty good deal to me, though like all cameras it has a bunch of things i'd like improved...

May 09, 2014 at 04:40 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.193 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lan11 wrote:

I paid retail (~$1699) for the A7 and a few adapters for my MF lenses. I don't even own a single FE Sony lens. I enjoy the way this camera adapts my Canon, Leica & Zeiss lenses. Sure, I didn't buy the R version, but the images I'm getting and the real time feedback from the EVF has brought new life to my MF lenses. To me, the cost of A7 admission was totally worth it!

May 09, 2014 at 05:21 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.193 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Be sure to check out the most active image thread on the alt forum and see what the camera can do. Don't limit yourself.

May 09, 2014 at 05:24 AM
cengell
• •
p.193 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hi ken.vs.ryu, which is that forum you suggest we see?

Thanks
Christopher

May 09, 2014 at 05:26 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.193 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

cengell wrote:
Hi ken.vs.ryu, which is that forum you suggest we see?

Thanks
Christopher

The Sony A7(r) Images Thread
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248

May 09, 2014 at 05:36 AM
cengell
• •
p.193 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Great I was not 100% sure.

Thank you
Christopher

May 09, 2014 at 05:51 AM
Lan11
• •
p.193 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jeff Knot wrote:
“I suggest that you ......spend two days taking photos with it, look at them on your computer …and then get back to us”

I'm getting back to you repeating the same question: "Is this talking reality?"
May I suggest that you look at the prints at usual size. Unless you exhibit parts of the pictures, on the monitor hanging on the wall : -) As to the print comparison, up to the 16x20 size, it’s a yawn.

Some folks didn’t notice that I referred to A7r and every commentator missed the point.
The issue is the cost of the camera and adapter. Especially, in view of their problems.
Finally, what will be the resale value when the new camera design iteration shows up.

May 09, 2014 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsdevine
• • •
p.193 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Is this part of a public service initiative? Will there be some kind of counseling provided?

I don't have any light leaks, no reflection issues (seems like TS-E lenses are more prone), etc. I like the 2 FE lenses I have, I like my EF mount (mostly Zeiss) lenses on it. Even started picking up more "alt" lenses, like the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s.

I tend to shoot landscapes with wides, so I don't really run into shutter shock as much. I can work around it though in the cases I do.

The DR and resolution boost over my 5D II is very much welcomed. I love the EVF and the small size.

Is it for everyone? No. Is it for no one? No.

-Tim

Lan11 wrote:
Jeff Knot wrote:
“I suggest that you ......spend two days taking photos with it, look at them on your computer …and then get back to us”

May I suggest that you look at the prints at usual size. Unless you exhibit parts of the pictures, on the monitor hanging on the wall : -) As to the print comparison, up to the 16x20 size, it’s a yawn.

Some folks didn’t notice that I referred to A7r and every commentator missed the point.
The issue is the cost of the camera and
...Show more

May 09, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.193 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It seems like we have a Canon or Olympus troll who escaped from DPreview.

This is exactly why I don't hang out on that forum anymore. Trolls who have never used a camera and have no interest in buying it going into forums for other cameras to pick fights with their satisfied users.

May 09, 2014 at 03:51 PM
wingsdomain

p.193 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

If you start talking about the cost of all things real, you probably shouldn't be buying or renting a house; do you know what a fire hazard a house really is? And you spend hundreds of dollars just heating it in the winter and cooling it in the summer, and thousands more to fix it and furnish it, that's before even paying the tax man! And don't get me started about owning a car, you spend thousands of dollars housing your car in garages and parking lots where it sits idle 90% of the day, and we haven't even added the cost of gas and maintenance and insurance yet, not to mention the fumes that will take 10 years out of your lifespan, ymmv. And that's just naming a couple off the top of my head. In the overall scheme of things, the sony a7r is a solid investment in your own well being and enjoyment and some will even get their monetary return on investment in their first shoot.

-W

Edited on May 10, 2014 at 01:30 AM · View previous versions

May 09, 2014 at 04:37 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.193 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lan11 wrote:
Jeff Knot wrote:

The issue is the cost of the camera and
...Show more

did you read any of this thread or even it's title before commenting?

the cameras (a7 and a7r) are super cheap compared to anything that produces comparable image quality. nobody requires you to buy a 500 dollar adapter or any adapter at all. if you don't like the small lens selection, don't value small size or a high quality evf, or don't have any need for FF you probably shouldn't buy it. believe it or not, some people may look for different things in a camera system than you.

btw, i view the rapid drop of resale value as a good thing for me.

May 09, 2014 at 06:41 PM
cengell
• •
p.193 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The last 2 post hit the nail on the head perfectly! But lets talk about something useful now, I would like just a forum just for tips and my way or his way to setup up the Sony A7/A7r.

I just set in the menu setting for the BW & Vivid and so on to set the sharpness to +3 and wow for me it helps manual focusing faster and more sure.

Christopher

May 09, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.193 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

cengell wrote:
..... I would like just a forum just for tips and my way or his way to setup up the Sony A7/A7r.
Christopher

How about this one?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1257298/0?keyword=set,up#11968102

May 09, 2014 at 07:33 PM
cengell
• •
p.193 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks Jeff I did not see that one! I will check it out.

Christopher

May 09, 2014 at 07:38 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.193 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I posted this on the Macro Forum, but since this is the official A7(r) thread, then it should be appropriate here as well:

Has anyone tried macro extension tubes (with the electric contacts) on the Metabones adapters? If they do work, then maybe I'll be able to use my Zeiss 50MP ZE with tubes on my Sony A7. Or am I dreaming?

Has anyone tried tubes + metabones on their A7(r)? Yay, nay?

May 10, 2014 at 05:26 AM
cengell
• •
p.193 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello Alpha_Geist, I would think so if they are for full frame ext tubes, I have emailed may made in China ext tubes makers and most say don't think so or not sure since all most all of them are for the NEX7 series.

I did get a email saying that the Kenko Auto Macro Extension Tube Set DG for Sony A7r are FF ones, but cost $140.00 and are made of all of metal.

I did not want to pay that much as not sure how many times I will use ext tubes.

But when I get the made in China cost $27.00 I will post my findings and was told no dark corners on FF.

On the A7/A7r in crop mode they all will work without dark corners fyi.

Christopher

May 10, 2014 at 05:42 AM
phuviano

p.193 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Alpha_Geist wrote:
I posted this on the Macro Forum, but since this is the official A7(r) thread, then it should be appropriate here as well:

Has anyone tried macro extension tubes (with the electric contacts) on the Metabones adapters? If they do work, then maybe I'll be able to use my Zeiss 50MP ZE with tubes on my Sony A7. Or am I dreaming?

Has anyone tried tubes + metabones on their A7(r)? Yay, nay?

My metabones adapter should be in my hands by tuesday. Just waiting for it to be delivered.

I have kenko extension tubes (nikon, AF version). AF is pretty much useless on them. The working distance, or range i should say, is very small. I used a nikon 85 1.8g in the past with these tubes on a nikon d600. I'm not sure how it will perform on my A7, but we'll see.

What do you mean if it'll work or not? Do you mean AF? Metering? Exif info?do you mean if it'll cover the full frame sensor?

If some else doesnt respond first. I'll post my opinion by tuesday at the latest.

May 10, 2014 at 05:44 AM
       194       195       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

194       195       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password