Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              188      
       190              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.189 #1 · p.189 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

This does not look too great.

Apr 13, 2014 at 03:31 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.189 #2 · p.189 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:

Does it really matter in the real world though ? I mean, does anyone think a picture of their kids was ruined because they weren't all in the purple area and one of them was in the blueish area ?

Comes down to if we take pictures of people, places and things, or if we take test shots to convert into 3D graphs. As I've often said, I think we all too often miss the forest for the trees when it comes to photography.

Do we take satisfaction from taking a great photo in terms of composition, emotion, et al, or do we take satisfaction from taking a technically "perfect" photo, even if its of a boring subject for the purpose of a test ?

Its like someones kid could be taking their first steps but we can't be bothered to shoot it because we haven't figured out which of our 15 different 50mm would capture it with the best rendering and across the frame sharpness.

By the time we get it all sorted out our kids are grown and out of the house but some 5000 test shots and 398 pages of forum debate later we at least have a "good" lens.

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:10 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.189 #3 · p.189 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It matters because it's $800.

I'm considering if the $300 C/Y Zeiss 35mm f2.8 could possibly be better. Sure, no AF but maybe not so bad.

I guess if you look at Roger's numbers, it does seem to match up. It seems like no 35mm lenses have great corners on FF.

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.189 #4 · p.189 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:

I checked DxO cores of all lenses vs. FE35 (and FE55) and seems they did better than any Canon or Nikon lens [except 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8], part of the result is camera of course. They didn't even went to purple, only lenses like Zeiss 2/135, Nikon 200/2, etc. did. So I'm not exactly sure what is the issue. Look for example comparison Canon 35L vs FE35, Canon barely gets to blue in dead center, definitely no purple...

Also based on real shooting I would say that FE35 doesn't suffer from lack of resolution, or even uneven distribution of resolution. There are really many bigger issues like color casts, than resolution - due to which I prefer to shoot FE35 with A7 over added resolution of A7r.

FlyPenFly wrote:

I'm considering if the $300 C/Y Zeiss 35mm f2.8 could possibly be better. Sure, no AF but maybe not so bad.

I guess if you look at Roger's numbers, it does seem to match up. It seems like no 35mm lenses have great corners on FF.

I doubt Distagon T* 2.8/35 would have better resolution, or more even field - please check the MTF. But C/Y version has pretty nice rendering style, and I think I would prefer it's boke over FE35's.

Samuli

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.189 #5 · p.189 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:

well if you're going mf I don't know if it would be on your radar but the canon 35mm f2 ltm seems like a decent performer. Mine is a little beat up so I don't know if she's 100% great but the images seemed pretty decent. It's VERY small too so you won't notice the few oz added to your kit. Only downside they cost a little more than the c/y Zeiss 35mm 2.8

flickr search A7 with canon 35mm f2 ltm
https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon+35mm+f2+ltm&cm=sony%2Falpha-a7

I liked his examples
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sushicam/11169797723

Not the best examples.. I may have missed focus.
Amelia by dpedraza15, on Flickr

Amelia by dpedraza15, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 13, 2014 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:18 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.189 #6 · p.189 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
I checked DxO cores of all lenses vs. FE35 (and FE55) and seems they did better than any Canon or Nikon lens [except 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8], part of the result is camera of course. They didn't even went to purple, only lenses like Zeiss 2/135, Nikon 200/2, etc. did. So I'm not exactly sure what is the issue. Look for example comparison Canon 35L vs FE35, Canon barely gets to blue in dead center, definitely no purple...

Also based on real shooting I would say that FE35 doesn't suffer from lack of resolution, or even uneven distribution of resolution. There
...Show more

Quite correct sir. Using that tool, all the Zeiss, Nikon, and Canon 35mm on full frame do terribly compared to the the FE 35mm F2.8.

Even the Zeiss Sonnar in the RX1 doesn't come close... I do wonder if this is a consequence though of being on the A7R?

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.189 #7 · p.189 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

That's because DxO isn't an optical bench bet a system bench (which makes it useless for lenses.) overall scores are also stupidly evaluated, with transmission being an 'absolute' quantity...so fast lenses almost always score better than slower lenses, even if they're not as good. DxO's lens tests are about as close to worthless as they come, IMO.

FlyPenFly wrote:
Quite correct sir. Using that tool, all the Nikon and Canon 35mm on full frame do terribly compared to the the FE 35mm F2.8.

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:28 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.189 #8 · p.189 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jman13 wrote:
so fast lenses almost always score better than slower lenses

It seems in the linked tests, the FE 35 spanks everyone but the FE 55. I have to think though this has to be because of the A7R.

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.189 #9 · p.189 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:
Quite correct sir. Using that tool, all the Nikon and Canon 35mm on full frame do terribly compared to the the FE 35mm F2.8.

Alternative for Contax; I haven't seen MTFs etc. but Canon FD 35mm f/2 S.S.C. is cheaper and from resolution perspective I would estimate it is as good or better than Contax 2.8/35. Of course I have no first hand experience or measuring data from FD, so this is just based on experience of Contax MTF-charts and what I have seen in practice with shooting with FD. In addition FD is one stop faster.

Samuli

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:36 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.189 #10 · p.189 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks, will look into it. Prices seem to wildly vary, is there something specific to look for besides overall condition and the red SSC lettering?

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.189 #11 · p.189 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:
Thanks, will look into it. Prices seem to wildly vary, is there something specific to look for besides overall condition and the red SSC lettering?

I'm not much of an FD-lens expert, my store had 3 different and I picked the one looked worst because it seemed was optically same and the worst looking was 40EUR cheaper. I guess I would be looking for that it's mechanically (half of my FD-lenses I had to glue to adapter as they had way too much "play" because mount was so worn out) and optically OK.

Before purchasing I googled and as far as I understood there is only one version:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/earlyfdlenses/35mmfd.htm

Samuli

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:52 PM
triniart

p.189 #12 · p.189 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

My zeiss 55 1.8 on A7R test for decentering. This was at f 2.8 indoor. Results same at for outdoor tests.
Pretty consistent with what others have had, i.e left side is decentered.
Some have said their lens is perfect, so I will return mine in anticipation that I
can also get a perfect or near perfect one.

Zeiss55Test by Photos by Arthur Sukhbir, on Flickr

Apr 13, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.189 #13 · p.189 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Has anyone used the vc 20mm 3.5 on the a7/r?

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:19 AM
JaanOs
• •
p.189 #14 · p.189 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:

There should be actually 2 versions among FD 35mm f2 with SSC bit different type front element (concave or convex) as well older version so called "Radioactive Lens" containing Thorium.
http://www.lummukka.com/canonfd35.html

Honestly I have no glue if there difference in optical performance with digital sensor, concave or convex
Some sources swear the magical one is earlier concave version.

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:52 AM
DavidBM

p.189 #15 · p.189 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:

Its crucial how you interpret those charts.
SLR gear are not reporting absolute resolution; what that chart shows is that wide open the FE 35 is 3 "blur units" worse in the corners than it's best performance.

But it's best performance is extraordinary; so 3 blur units worse is still outstanding.

Problem: the chart looks worse than a lens/sensor system whose peak resolution is much worse, and whose corners are much worse in absolute terms.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:33 AM
phuviano

p.189 #16 · p.189 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Any know if theres a way to create a shortcut to turn the "AF assist light" on/off. I thought i would be to add it to the function menu (the menu that shows up when you hit the function button). I tried to look to see if i could add it as a custom function button (c1,c2,c3). I couldnt figure out a way to do it, besides diving through the menu every time.

Maybe there isnt a way to do this. However, if someone has figured out an easier/faster way yo activate the AF assist, please let me know.

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:11 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.189 #17 · p.189 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I don't think there is a way. The best way would be to keep it under the Menu button since it remembers the last location.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM
akuba

p.189 #18 · p.189 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Canon FD to Sony FE adapter that they're happy with?

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:26 AM
bhairavp

p.189 #19 · p.189 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Anyone using Pentax K-Mount lenses on these bodies? Would love to see some photos from them,thanks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 06:23 AM
Donsantos

p.189 #20 · p.189 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I have the concave fd 35mm f2 ssc version. Look for f/16 minimum aperture.

Optically it's very superb. As sharp as my 55mm 1.8 wide open. I might even say it has more contrast than the 55mm 1.8 FE. Bokeh looks great too.

The only downside it's a bit big and heavy and doesn't fit in my bag very well with other lenses. I have a dome 5xb.

Apr 29, 2014 at 06:33 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password