Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              186      
       188              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

supermario343
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.187 #1 · p.187 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone have any examples of the a7r with canon 24-70L II? That would be my combo for landscapes if I do end up buying this body. Thanks!

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.187 #2 · p.187 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

DamonJoyce wrote:
I love the nFD 20/2.8, but it does have some coma wide open:

(I checked your posting history and understood you have A7) A7 sensor itself causes coma to lenses, which don't have it. Are you sure it's caused by the lens?

A7r sensor causes smaller coma, so if there is difference between cameras then it's camera caused, but if same then it's the lens.

Samuli

Apr 06, 2014 at 07:18 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.187 #3 · p.187 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The FE 35mm F2.8 as tested by Roger seems to be a really great lens.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/sony-a7r-a-rising-tide-lifts-all-the-boats

I've been pondering the Contax G 35mm F2, CV 35mm F1.4 MC, and CV 35mm F1.2 II but maybe I'll give this native lens a try?

I wish it was F2 though.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:05 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.187 #4 · p.187 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

No doubt about it iMHO, the FE 35 is a superb lens. Plus, it is small, light, has AF and is native E-mount. What's not to love?

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:19 AM
bond2k

p.187 #5 · p.187 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does someone know what the fastest shutter speed in bulb mode is?

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:21 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.187 #6 · p.187 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

As fast as your finger.

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:25 AM
bond2k

p.187 #7 · p.187 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
As fast as your finger.

Well e.g. Triggertrap does only allow until 1/15, because not all cameras support faster shutter speeds in bulb mode. That's why I'm asking. I guess there is a limit.

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:21 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.187 #8 · p.187 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Just to make sure I did the math right in my head, the Sony 35mm F2.8 FE has nearly the same DoF capabilities as a MFT 17.5mm at F1.4 right?

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:12 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.187 #9 · p.187 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
(I checked your posting history and understood you have A7) A7 sensor itself causes coma to lenses, which don't have it. Are you sure it's caused by the lens?

A7r sensor causes smaller coma, so if there is difference between cameras then it's camera caused, but if same then it's the lens.

The A7(r) sensor filter stack mainly introduces astigmatism, not coma. There have been descriptions of A7(r) sensor flare in terms of "coma from hell", but the blotches in the image of DamonJoyce look very much like coma as in the classical lens aberration.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:04 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.187 #10 · p.187 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:
Just to make sure I did the math right in my head, the Sony 35mm F2.8 FE has nearly the same DoF capabilities as a MFT 17.5mm at F1.4 right?

Basically around there, though I don't recall if its exactly f1.4 equiv.

I found the 35 FE to have very smooth transitions from in to out of focus, so its not a lens that produces a very shallow DoF look. The overall rendering is typically pretty smooth though, with just occasional nervousness on some subjects such as lots of trees, and a bit better at closer distances. Very sharp lens though, and simply fantastic across the frame stopped down.

Basically does about everything you'd want in a lens, ie; small size, great hood, AF, great optics, however, it doesn't really have much of a "wow" factor. It is in a way a bit "boring", as far as 35mm f2.8 images go, not really giving that different of overall look that you'd get from a fast 17mm or 23mm on m4/3, APS-C shot wide open, or for that matter most FF DSLR f2.8 zooms.

That is by no means a bad thing, and it does its job with a nice size, AF etc, but there isn't that unique DoF advantage over smaller formats you'd see more from a 35mm f2.0 or 35mm f1.4.

Lens like a 58/1.2 on the other hand gives quite an apparent difference in isolation with the same framing vs something like the 35/1.4 on APS-C or 25/1.4 on m43. Those are both great lens in their own right, but compose the same frame with them and then a fast 50 on the A7(r) and you do get a rather different overall look and way of rendering.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DamonJoyce
• •
p.187 #11 · p.187 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Toothwalker wrote:
The A7(r) sensor filter stack mainly introduces astigmatism, not coma. There have been descriptions of A7(r) sensor flare in terms of "coma from hell", but the blotches in the image of DamonJoyce look very much like coma as in the classical lens aberration.

I believe it to be the lens. In some star shots I took with the OM24/2.8, I didn't get any sort of distortion.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:16 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.187 #12 · p.187 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Okay thanks millsart. I ordered a new one instead of a used one because of reports of de centering on this lens by copy.

I guess the dof is about the same as an x100 wide open which is plenty.

Rogers review swung me over, the other review sites don't seem to be too thrilled.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:58 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.187 #13 · p.187 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:
Okay thanks millsart. I ordered a new one instead of a used one because of reports of de centering on this lens by copy.

I guess the dof is about the same as an x100 wide open which is plenty.

Rogers review swung me over, the other review sites don't seem to be too thrilled.

It is a nice lens to have IMHO, because its not only among the best 35mm options going for stopped down landscapes, but it also turns the A7 into a pretty compact, walk around, family, what-have-you, option with a great all around focal length and enough speed to still produce pretty nice looking portrait style shots etc.

I think there is something to be said for being able to turn on face detect AF and hand the camera to a wife, person on the street etc to take a photo of you etc sometimes. There is no way most people could MF a shot, and also times when one just wants to quickly snap some photos while on the move etc.

I've honestly thought of picking up the 28-70 EF, as they can be had for about $250, just for those type of purposes.

I think the 35 FE could make a nice pair with something like a VC 35/1.4 or 1.2, giving the option of character, speed, etc, from the VC's and then AF, across the frame sharpness etc from the FE.

Rarely would I expect one need both at the same time. Heading out with a tripod for landscapes, leave the VC at at home. Go for a walk and night to shoot some street stuff, take a fast VC.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:23 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.187 #14 · p.187 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Toothwalker wrote:

Thanks for clarification - they did look quite different and bluish color is also different.

Samuli

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:16 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.187 #15 · p.187 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Has anybody had issues trying to charge their battery? I received a brand new a7r today and the first thing i did was try to charge the battery. The indicator light never turned on and a very faint winding sound was coming from the usb/wall charger area. Camera was never able to turn on either. Im wondering if anyone thinks it could be a faulty battery or usb/charger or the camera itself? I have an extra battery and wall charger on order and should arrive Friday. I want to rule out the battery and charger before I send the camera back for a replacement. Appreciate any input/opinions on this.

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:22 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.187 #16 · p.187 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philber wrote:
No doubt about it iMHO, the FE 35 is a superb lens. Plus, it is small, light, has AF and is native E-mount. What's not to love?

the contax g you can get an af adapter for it as well. I don't know how cost effective it would be compared to the FE 35mm though. Plus AF probably wouldn't be on par but I can't say I haven't tried it

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:05 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.187 #17 · p.187 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philber wrote:

no real manual focus and slow?

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:10 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.187 #18 · p.187 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I think what you lose in speed you gain back in overall performance and size. It seems to out resolve the ZF 35mm f2.

Manual focus appears to be ok

http://daniele-zedda.squarespace.com/news/8/4/2014sony-fe-35mm-28

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.187 #19 · p.187 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
no real manual focus and slow?

Exactly why I wouldn't think it even be on anyone's radar who didn't want an AF lens.

Paying $800 for a f2.8 35mm lens with a focus by wire (though decent) seems a bit silly when there are plenty of cheaper options that are good performers and with much nicer MF feel.

Sometimes AF is handy though, such as if you want to be able to let others in the family use the camera.

If you want it to be only "dad's" camera, that doesn't AF or anything (don't get them started on how much you paid for a camera that doens't even AF lol) then its well and good, but I'd sooner just buy a used 35 FE for $625 or so than I would want to try to teach the spouse how to shoot with MF glass

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Musicman
• •
p.187 #20 · p.187 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

supermario343 wrote:
Has anybody had issues trying to charge their battery? I received a brand new a7r today and the first thing i did was try to charge the battery. The indicator light never turned on and a very faint winding sound was coming from the usb/wall charger area. Camera was never able to turn on either. Im wondering if anyone thinks it could be a faulty battery or usb/charger or the camera itself? I have an extra battery and wall charger on order and should arrive Friday. I want to rule out the battery and charger before I send the camera
...Show more

The micro USB cable that was supplied with my A7 failed within a few days. It made a partial connection (the A7 showed up on the USB bus) but would not charge the battery when it was in the camera.

I swapped it for another (and longer) one that I had and it's been fine since.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password