Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              184      
       186              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

wingsdomain

Upload & Sell: Off
p.185 #1 · p.185 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'll probably end up buying LR anyhow, but since I loaded their eval version a year ago and never really used it, I no longer can run on eval mode to test. There is also a review on the net that thought that LR outputs (as well as all other raw editors for the ar7) were not as good as the native sony image data converter albeit slow and slim on features. I don't really need the LR cataloguing since it will likely just screw up my 6 years organization system. I'll give Lightzone a try when they get their a7r profiles together in a week or so. It would be nice if Lightzone had lens profiles though, I use dpp's lens corrections all the time for my canon raws.

-W

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM
DavidBM

p.185 #2 · p.185 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

wingsdomain wrote:
I'll probably end up buying LR anyhow, but since I loaded their eval version a year ago and never really used it, I no longer can run on eval mode to test. There is also a review on the net that thought that LR outputs (as well as all other raw editors for the ar7) were not as good as the native sony image data converter albeit slow and slim on features. I don't really need the LR cataloguing since it will likely just screw up my 6 years organization system. I'll give Lightzone a try when they get their
...Show more

Yeah: you will really need lens profiles if you use any of the zooms for the A7 series; they are designed in the mirror less tradition of depending on software distortion correction, which is otherwise too extreme for many kinds of pictures.
The primes you can survive without, though you will need vignetting correction on the 35 for the kinds of pictures that vignetting looks bad on. Also, for pictures that are evenly white or grey you might miss the flat field pluggin to get the magenta cast out of the corners. (I love the 35FE; amazingly sharp for so small. But the price you pay for that size (worth paying) is a little magenta in the corners and vignetting)

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
wingsdomain

p.185 #3 · p.185 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Well so far I've only had AF success with my Canon 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, and surprisingly enough the 40mm stm. No AF fun for the 24L and the 35L AF works only when it wants to (or was it the other way around with the 24L and 35L?). (I know, I can use MF). I will be getting sony's 28-70 kit soon only because it was cheaper as a bundle that included the a7r, the lens, and the flash, but will want to play with that sony lens once it is off backorder and shipped to me. The 40mm stm attached to the a7r imo is a marrage made in heaven, it's a beautiful couple, light and inconspicuous! Most bystanders will mistake you for a soccer-mom/dad with a point-and-shoot! I'm hoping to force myself to work with that setup and have the camera with me at all times and go back to the big canon guns only when there is a planned photo trip.

As far as lens correction for the lightzone software, I'll bring it up in the their forums, the moderator and developer there is very hands-on and open to new ideas and features. Nonetheless, they work only for pure pleasure with no working wage so new features will likely only happen if enough members also chime in.

-W

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:36 AM
serhan_
• •
p.185 #4 · p.185 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I got my black leather kit from Aki-Asahi last weekend. I didn't take a photo but I saw this, A7 in disguise:

More about it:
dcwatch.jp: Hide the Logo

For interested:
Sony A7/A7R Custom Leather kit

Mar 27, 2014 at 03:21 AM
pelagia

p.185 #5 · p.185 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

itai195 wrote:
I'll pass at least until there are some interesting native lenses. Total miss on that part, for me. It's not like this is difficult, look at what Fuji launched the X-Pro1 with, and do that.

+1

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM
wingsdomain

p.185 #6 · p.185 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Anyone try using The Tamron 28-300 f/3.5/6.3 vc with the metabones adapter and confirm if AF and VC works? If yes on AF, any thoughts on AF speed? Thanks. -W

Edited on Mar 30, 2014 at 05:18 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2014 at 05:04 AM
mastroiani

p.185 #7 · p.185 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I like SONY revolution

Mar 30, 2014 at 05:05 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.185 #8 · p.185 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

While adjusting daylight saving noticed that A7 (purchased in November = time set on November) was 2 minutes late and A7r (purchased January = time set on January) was 1 minute late.

This is rather annoying as I always carry Garmin GPS with me and when I get home I sync GPS coordinates to photos, but if clock is off then coordinates are off.

Anyone else noticed something like this? Or did I just get the worst possible timer chips to my cameras...

(For reference Canon 5DmkII or 1DmkIII didn't get ahead or late during 6mth period I needed to adjust the daylight saving every year. Also Canons show time including seconds, not only minutes like Sony.)

Samuli

Mar 30, 2014 at 09:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.185 #9 · p.185 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Don't the sync programs have a way to shift the time? This problem is quite normal...

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:31 PM
cengell
• •
p.185 #10 · p.185 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello we have the Sigma 18-250 zoom and the autofocus works good and the OS in the Sigma works good on my A7r, I don't have the Tamron and maybe someone that has it will report in but I think it will.

Christopher

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.185 #11 · p.185 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
Don't the sync programs have a way to shift the time? This problem is quite normal...

Of course they do. But I'm not exactly big fan of sitting in front of computer and doing extra activities, which can be avoided.

As I have scripted everything I would first shift the clock of ARW-files (would also got correct time to EXIF - thou not very meaningful in Finland, but sunset/sunrise on warmer countries take 10x shorter time than the ones here, and it may be meaningful), then execute normal geotag script.

Where they find these crappy clock chips? I have cheap Seiko (or some similar brand) wrist watch from 1980s and it's chip seems to keep the time OK, as long as I change the battery every 10 years... (haven't bothered with daylight saving as I got it for 6-year present and don't have any real use for it, it just sits in cabinet or somewhere)

Samuli

Mar 30, 2014 at 06:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.185 #12 · p.185 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yeah, Sony has saved money in really weird places with these cameras.

Mar 30, 2014 at 07:04 PM
wingsdomain

p.185 #13 · p.185 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks Cengell, I have a couple of older Tamrons that cannot AF with the metabones, I don't have the Tamron 28-300 f/3.5/6.3 vc yet so need to have someone confirm AF on the Tamron 28-300 f/3.5/6.3 vc before thinking about buying it for use with the A7r.

-W

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:19 AM
aks2023

Upload & Sell: On
p.185 #14 · p.185 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Just got my Sony A7 and a few FE lenses. Off to Munich and Istanbul tomorrow. Any advice on specific places to shoot in either city? I know the major attractions. Any lesser known gems?

thanks

Mar 31, 2014 at 03:48 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.185 #15 · p.185 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Istanbul: my gem is not where and what to shoot, but when. Rise early, before sunrise. If you have nice weather, the rising sun gives awesome colours on the turrets of the many mosques. Besides, there will be no people, and you will be able to deploy your tripod.

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:38 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.185 #16 · p.185 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philber wrote:
Istanbul: my gem is not where and what to shoot, but when. Rise early, before sunrise. If you have nice weather, the rising sun gives awesome colours on the turrets of the many mosques. Besides, there will be no people, and you will be able to deploy your tripod.

+1

i feel like there's pretty much nowhere you can go in istanbul and not get awesome pictures. lighting can be tough in a lot of the indoor locations though.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:08 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.185 #17 · p.185 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Adapter flare demystified

On some situations, where I had light sources just outside frame, I had noticed crappy contrast or sometimes even clear flare with most adapted lenses. Based on shooting most of the same lenses with Canon 5DmkII I did know it's not the lens causing the issue.

I was thinking "it's the adapter", but after trying multiple different brand adapters (C/Y, Nikon, FD, OM, M42, Contax G) on same lens, it seems all adapters are more or less the same. Problem was worst with Contax G90 lens, which I already fixed (page 153, post #11).

Today I decided to figure it out for other short teles - Leica Elmarit-R 90mm f/2.8 and Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 3.5/100 C/Y were huge disappointment when I shoot them on Saturday. Contrast was very weak compared to 5DmkII memories with both of them. I was shooting on forest, avoiding to have overblown sky "shine" directly to image area creating ugly white overblown sky, but sky did still "shine" to lens just outside frame. There was no obvious flare but contrast was rather weak. Sunshine to lens was blocked with hand.

So my test scene is REALLY boring - shoot with Contax G45 at same exposure as all test shots (f/8, 1.3s, ISO 100). Red rectangle presents approximate framing for test frames.

First reference photos with with Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L using non-modified adapter- A7:

A7r:

(could not shoot with different adapter as the lens is clued to adapter, as the FD lens is quite worn out and there was way too much "play" for my taste between lens and adapter)

Since masking was successful method with Contax G90 decided to try it first. Slapped piece of tape so that it would mask on right side:

And as a result, we have no more flare issue = masking works also for FD 85L:

Other technique is to "mute" the reflection by some material which is absorbing light. I searched and finally found suitable material (Aputure Gigtube carrying bag). Made suitable piece with scissors. Used two sided tape to attach material to adapters right side:

Result is better than standard adapter but there still is weak flare on left side. Also material was too thick and causes vignetting on corners:

So it seems that masking is the way to go. One more try to see suitable size for masking:

(for idiots: this is test - for real life usage of course mask is needed left, right, top and bottom)

Results are not perfect, but better than with light absorbing method:

As masking can affect to bokeh highlight shapes on image edges, few boke shots were needed as well. In 1st photo the boke highlight in middle of image (full frame image, not cropped):

In 2nd photo the boke highlight is as far left before the added mask starts to affect (full frame image, not cropped):

In 3rd photo the boke hightlight cutting demonstrated (full frame image, not cropped):

Conclusion
Flare is not actually from adapter. Flare is caused by adapter not masking out areas of image, which are not supposed to be in frame. Something in "mirror" chamber of A7/A7r spreads this light causing various issues. All native lenses have mask at rear of lens, as well as Metabones adapters.

Due to FD-adapter being clued to the 85L-lens, I'll demonstrate with C/Y adapter making of one finalized adapter with mask. I'll post later other post.

Samuli

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:32 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.185 #18 · p.185 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
+1

i feel like there's pretty much nowhere you can go in istanbul and not get awesome pictures. lighting can be tough in a lot of the indoor locations though.

Just stroll around and keep you eyes open. Lively city, interesting people. One of my favorites.

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:00 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.185 #19 · p.185 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Mask made to C/Y adapter

I had two kind of adapters;
1. two different inner diameters with clear step in between
2. two different inner diameters with gradual change between diameters
On picture Pixco (adapter on left) is type 1, and big_is (on right) is type 2.

(tape on Pixco is added by me to prevent skrew clue to get from tripod foot skrews to other places in adapter - PS. I recommend to clue the skrews, this far every NEX-adapter tripod foot has come lose over time and can be difficult to fix on field)

These two adapters without any modifications - Pixco:

big_is:

So time to mask the lens - initial version with Sugru:

Then testing with various lenses:

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 3.5/100 AE - seems it works well!!!

Carl Zeiss S-Planar T* 2.8/60 AE - not seen on this size and JPG packing, but there is slight contrast/coloration issue covering about 1/3 of image - this lens haven't shoot that much with 5DmkII that I could say 100% sure is this lens "feature" or caused by camera.

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135 AE - contrast lovered over 75% of the frame, normal contrast only on far left where Sugru's uneven edge can be seen. In addition can be seen that on image's right edge (=adapters left side mask) there is some mechanical vignetting from Sugru mask.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/28 MM - might be possible to make flare smaller by making the mask larger (making "hole" in mask smaller)

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.7/50 MM - quite ok, thou magenta and green color casts can be seen in middle of image

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 MM - the bright flare is lens made, and would be visible also in 5DmkII image. Unfortunately magenta spot is clearly visible

After some vertical tests shots extended top and bottom masks:

Tested also if the mask is too big/straight by extending S-Planar to 1:1 magnification - and as can be seen there are issues on image right edge and all image corners except bottom right:

Pressed Sugru from places where it caused mechanical vignetting - and vignetting was gone. Remember that image is mirror on sensor compared to rear world = for example image bottom right is top left on sensor (looking camera from behind) or adapter:

(handhold not very carefully focused image with f/22 = it's soft but image content doesn't matter in this context)

Final "product":

Conclusions

Even with masking weird flares can be issue with Sony A7&A7r. Test scenario is little extreme compared to normal shooting situations, but findings are in line with real shooting I did on weekend.

Also weird to find out that different sensor reflections in A7 and A7r do contribute to "adapter" flare as well.

PS. Looking images of Sony's own adapters:
https://www.google.fi/search?q=sony+la-ea3&espv=210&es_sm=119&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&biw=1850&bih=1502#q=sony+la-ea3&tbm=isch
It seems Sony is well aware of the issue. Maybe in future the cheap eBay adapters also have mask in them.

Samuli

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.185 #20 · p.185 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I posted this in canon forum, thought i'd cross post it here to see if anyone else has had this issue

Yesterday i was shooting the A7r with the metabones III + 500F4. TWICE when i went to change the ISO, the camera would just stop responding..no image on lcd, none of the buttons would work..I had to turn the camera off and turn it back on.

Anyone else experience this?

The A7r is upgraded to the latest firmware.

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password