Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              182      
       184              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Andreas Resch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.183 #1 · p.183 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hi,

I've had the chance to give the A7R a test run last weekend. Image quality is crazy, as is noise performance and dynamic range. I'm in a very different league than with my Canon 6D or 5D Mark II.

I encountered a few things though and wonder if you guys have solutions for that.

*) I mainly work on a tripod. Whenever I move my hand near the camera to adjust the angle of the camera or press some buttons, the motion detector of the viewfinder reacts and activates the EVF. Is there a way to deactivate this or assign the switch between EVF and Live View to a button?

*) When I look through the EVF in zoomed-in mode and rotate the wheel that changes the shutter speed, the image scroll rather than change the shutter speed. Can this be changed so that the dial changes the shutter speed and stops scrolling?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Andreas

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM
lumis beans
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.183 #2 · p.183 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Andreas Resch wrote:
Hi,

I've had the chance to give the A7R a test run last weekend. Image quality is crazy, as is noise performance and dynamic range. I'm in a very different league than with my Canon 6D or 5D Mark II.

I encountered a few things though and wonder if you guys have solutions for that.

*) I mainly work on a tripod. Whenever I move my hand near the camera to adjust the angle of the camera or press some buttons, the motion detector of the viewfinder reacts and activates the EVF. Is there a way to deactivate this or assign the
...Show more

1. Yes, you can choose b/w AUTO, EVF or LCD in menu.

2. Sadly, not that I know of. You also cannot trigger the shutter with a wireless remote while zoomed, which is rather annoying. I have a knock-off remote; I am assuming the same is true with the wireless OEM.

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:06 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.183 #3 · p.183 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

DavidBM wrote:
Thanks for this!

Just tried it. I gather from metabones site that advanced mode uses more battery: if you were out shooting all day with the adapter and only one battery that might be a reason to stick to green mode. But in the studio or with plenty of batteries it's a no brainer!

Not getting this result. I can get IS running plus peaking with half press shutter BUT moving the focus ring does not bump into 7.2x mode whether in AF-S or MF. MF Assist is ON. In this case using the Canon 24-105. Only settings on body allowed are AF-S & MF. DMF is not allowed. However, if first placed in MF with shutter half depressed, I can hit the AEL button twice (programed for focus mag) and get IS plus focus mag. Odd.....

Matt

Edited on Mar 24, 2014 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.183 #4 · p.183 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Matt,
You must change the Metabones mode from Green to "Advanced".

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:54 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.183 #5 · p.183 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Believe its in advanced mode otherwise the AF wouldn't function at all. Correct?

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.183 #6 · p.183 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

schlotz wrote:
Believe its in advanced mode otherwise the AF wouldn't function at all. Correct?

In advanced mode, AF does not even lock.
Here is how to change to advanced mode:

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:06 PM
Andreas Resch

p.183 #7 · p.183 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

lumis beans wrote:
1. Yes, you can choose b/w AUTO, EVF or LCD in menu.

2. Sadly, not that I know of. You also cannot trigger the shutter with a wireless remote while zoomed, which is rather annoying. I have a knock-off remote; I am assuming the same is true with the wireless OEM.

Thanks for the answer. I know that I can set the MONITOR/FINDER in the menu. But when I do so, I don't see an option to quickly switch to the EVF by the push of a button. I will always have to go to the menu to access the EVF or Live View. That would be very annoying.

Cheers,
Andreas

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:16 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.183 #8 · p.183 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Andreas Resch wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I know that I can set the MONITOR/FINDER in the menu. But when I do so, I don't see an option to quickly switch to the EVF by the push of a button. I will always have to go to the menu to access the EVF or Live View. That would be very annoying.

Cheers,
Andreas

yup. stupid design.

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:33 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.183 #9 · p.183 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred, this is really getting odd. I have the same instructions. Followed the steps with camera on first w/o the lens as it states and attaching the lens+adapter combo yet, I get AF lock with beep but no DMF etc... BUT with the 70-200 it works as you indicated. Maybe its the 24-105 combo that doesn't work correctly

Matt

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:45 PM
LLarouche

p.183 #10 · p.183 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello friends,
perhaps it was covered by another post, but I need help;
I assume that I have some pictures stored on the internal memory of the camera (A7R) since I was shooting without an sd card;
how can I transfer this data to the sd card or to the computer, which ever is easier ?

Thank you in advance.

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wingsdomain

p.183 #11 · p.183 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Is there any place in the a7r's camera menu to add your username/copyright that will be appended to the iptc of each image taken from the camera? If not, is there an easy/free software to add that to the ARW file? The only way I can do it now is by using irfanview software to add it to the jpg's, but it would be nice to have it on the arw files.

-W

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:20 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.183 #12 · p.183 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

No. What software do you use for processing?

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.183 #13 · p.183 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

wingsdomain wrote:
Is there any place in the a7r's camera menu to add your username/copyright that will be appended to the iptc of each image taken from the camera? If not, is there an easy/free software to add that to the ARW file? The only way I can do it now is by using irfanview software to add it to the jpg's, but it would be nice to have it on the arw files.

-W

I looked for the same, so far I didn't see a way to add the copyright information into the RAW files of the A7R. It should be hopefully added as option in a future firmware or Sony software update.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:24 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.183 #14 · p.183 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
No. What software do you use for processing?

I am using LR 5.3 and PS CS6 (more the latter). Not sure if there is a way to do it?

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.183 #15 · p.183 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

LLarouche wrote:
Hello friends,
perhaps it was covered by another post, but I need help;
I assume that I have some pictures stored on the internal memory of the camera (A7R) since I was shooting without an sd card;
how can I transfer this data to the sd card or to the computer, which ever is easier ?

Thank you in advance.

Typically cameras have a small buffer, but don't allow transfers from it. When I try this on my A7, it keeps only one shot at a time, and if I then insert an SD card (either turning off the camera or leaving it on), that one image is gone. You would need to re-take the photos, unfortunately.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.183 #16 · p.183 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

retrofocus wrote:
I am using LR 5.3 and PS CS6 (more the latter). Not sure if there is a way to do it?

You can type info like that into an import action in Lightroom, and have it automatically applied at import time. It won't end up in the raw, but typically you don't give anyone the raw anyway. By the time you have processed and exported a JPG, it will be present.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:29 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.183 #17 · p.183 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

retrofocus wrote:
I looked for the same, so far I didn't see a way to add the copyright information into the RAW files of the A7R. It should be hopefully added as option in a future firmware or Sony software update.

It can be done with exiftool via the -copyright option.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:33 PM
wingsdomain

p.183 #18 · p.183 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'm using sony's Image Data Converter, slow as molasses. I don't have LR (is LR any faster?), I've always used Canon's DPP for my canon raw files. I'm just starting to use the A7r and so far here is my workflow:

- download files via sony playmemory (only because it places it in separate folders and I don't have to worry about it)

- edit in Sony IDC and save to jpg.

- batch add copyright to jpg using free irfanview software.

- rotate/straighten jpg in canon dpp (good ol' dpp!)

- Additional editing if needed in photoshop cs3 (that's all I have to work with)

-W

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.183 #19 · p.183 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lightroom (and Aperture and Capture One and...) can handle most of these steps, but the rendering isn't better than all other programs. Try the 30-day free download to see if you like its processing.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:47 PM
wingsdomain

p.183 #20 · p.183 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks carstenw, I will check those out. -W

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register