Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              181      
       183              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.182 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

New firmware day (in Australia... rest of world to catch up soon):

http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/ilce-7r

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:09 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.182 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I wonder what the improvement in image quality is? Gut feeling tells me that we're not going to get an uncompressed RAW update.

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.182 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone know what the "click" sound a few seconds after powering off the camera?

I don't have any FE lenses, just all MF lenses and adapters. Also, I haven't updated the firmware yet.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:29 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.182 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Does anyone know what the "click" sound a few seconds after powering off the camera?

I don't have any FE lenses, just all MF lenses and adapters. Also, I haven't updated the firmware yet.

I think the shutter closing after an automatic sensor cleaning.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:49 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.182 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

snapsy wrote:
I think the shutter closing after an automatic sensor cleaning.

Electronic shutter?

Unless I'm blind (or maybe that I haven't really looked close enough), I haven't seen a physical shutter in my A7.

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:10 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.182 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Electronic shutter?

Unless I'm blind (or maybe that I haven't really looked close enough), I haven't seen a physical shutter in my A7.

surely you hear the shutter click at the end of each actuation.

you won't see the shutter when you change the lenses because it is open then (apparently camera shutters are more delicate than sensors). you can see it open and close if you shoot a frame without the lens attached (or simply look through a lens).

you can set the camera for electronic first curtain which means an electronic shutter is used to initiate capture but the physical shutter is still used to end capture. you can also set the camera to only use the physical shutter.

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:27 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.182 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
surely you hear the shutter click at the end of each actuation.

you won't see the shutter when you change the lenses because it is open then (apparently camera shutters are more delicate than sensors). you can see it open and close if you shoot a frame without the lens attached (or simply look through a lens).

you can set the camera for electronic first curtain which means an electronic shutter is used to initiate capture but the physical shutter is still used to end capture. you can also set the camera to only use the physical shutter.

Yup! I've heard the shutter, but I've never looked for it. I guess I'm use to seeing the shutter closed on a DSLR and this is my first foray into mirrorless.

The shutter must be stored/held in place above and below the sensor then. I'll have a closer look at it when I get home.

I don't know why I didn't think there was a physical shutter on these mirrorless cameras when I could obviously hear it after each actuation. I think I need one of these -->

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:40 AM
carrg1954
• • •
p.182 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

All
I have been watching the a7 and a7r threads. I would like to use my existing canon lenses, could any of you that has a A7 and a canon 70-200 f4 IS, does it auto focus using the metabones iii over the full range ? And if Yes, what is the auto focus like ? Many thanks in advance.
Also 17-40 f4, will it auto focus ok

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:55 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.182 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carrg1954 wrote:
All
I have been watching the a7 and a7r threads. I would like to use my existing canon lenses, could any of you that has a A7 and a canon 70-200 f4 IS, does it auto focus using the metabones iii over the full range ? And if Yes, what is the auto focus like ? Many thanks in advance.
Also 17-40 f4, will it auto focus ok

I am using the Sony A7R with the lenses you mentioned above and with Metabones III adapter. In both cases the AF works fine, just a bit slower compared to the lenses each mounted on a Canon camera FF body. AF works on the full range of the 70-200 lens. The IS of the 70-200/4 IS lens works exactly the same as on my Canon 5D MkII body, I didn't observe any difference.

Mar 23, 2014 at 01:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.182 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

retrofocus wrote:
I am using the Sony A7R with the lenses you mentioned above and with Metabones III adapter. In both cases the AF works fine, just a bit slower compared to the lenses each mounted on a Canon camera FF body. AF works on the full range of the 70-200 lens. The IS of the 70-200/4 IS lens works exactly the same as on my Canon 5D MkII body, I didn't observe any difference.

It's not terrible but I would say 'much' slower since it uses contrast-detection-based AF. In low light (low contrast) it's not very accurate either...
but hey, at least we have AF.
From my experience, it's faster and more accurate when choosing the Flexible Spot (Large) or "Center" Focus Area settings.

Also keep in mind that you can't use AF-C (Continuous AF mode with the Metabones)
I usually rely on EVF magnification to nail focus and it works quite well for static subjects when on a tripod.

The problem I am having is that when focus magnification (7x or 14x) is enabled, IS stops functioning and it's hard to stay steady at these magnifications. I have not found a workaround for this yet. If anyone know a trick for this, let me know.
Fred

Mar 23, 2014 at 01:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carrg1954
• • •
p.182 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Retrofocus and Fred,
my thanks for your comments.
If I can ask another and shooting RAW , what software are you using ?

Mar 23, 2014 at 02:43 AM
DavidBM

p.182 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
retrofocus wrote:
Interesting. That doesn't appear to be happening with my 100L macro on the metabones III; the IS seems to be working even in magnified view. Maybe it depends on the lens firmware?

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM
DavidBM

p.182 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Talking of the IS being disabled in magnified view on the A7r, anyone noticed that magnification is disabled when the camera is controlled by the remote app on a phone or iPad? It's infuriating when you want to use a manual focus lens, focus it, and then use the remote. You have to focus *before* turning on the remote app; and then not re-focus.

Anyone got a workaround?

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.182 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carrg1954 wrote:
Retrofocus and Fred,
my thanks for your comments.
If I can ask another and shooting RAW , what software are you using ?

LR 5.3 can read the A7 series Raw files. I found the Sony Raw-converter freeware software rather basic and cumbersome to use even it also works. For some reason the Sony Raw-converter software didn't show JPG files either.

Mar 23, 2014 at 01:48 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.182 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
The problem I am having is that when focus magnification (7x or 14x) is enabled, IS stops functioning and it's hard to stay steady at these magnifications. I have not found a workaround for this yet. If anyone know a trick for this, let me know.
Fred

Not sure if I understand this correctly - the IS on my 70-200/4 IS lens is only activated if I press down the shutter button halfway. When going into the MF magnification mode (7x or 14x), you can't press the shutter halfway anyway otherwise it switches back to regular view. Do you do something differently?

Mar 23, 2014 at 02:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.182 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

retrofocus wrote:
Not sure if I understand this correctly - the IS on my 70-200/4 IS lens is only activated if I press down the shutter button halfway. When going into the MF magnification mode (7x or 14x), you can't press the shutter halfway anyway otherwise it switches back to regular view. Do you do something differently?

That is exactly my point. For example, If I'm at 14.4x magnification, I can't have the benefit of IS stabilizing the viewfinder for precise focusing. Image Stabilization only gets engaged when half pressing the shutter button and that disables focus magnification.

Mar 23, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.182 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

DavidBM wrote:
Talking of the IS being disabled in magnified view on the A7r, anyone noticed that magnification is disabled when the camera is controlled by the remote app on a phone or iPad? It's infuriating when you want to use a manual focus lens, focus it, and then use the remote. You have to focus *before* turning on the remote app; and then not re-focus.

Anyone got a workaround?

The only workaround is to use their RM-VPR1 wired remote commander. When using a wireless remote, you can't take a picture while in magnification mode. Yes, I agree...it's annoying.
Fred

Mar 23, 2014 at 03:53 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.182 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
That is exactly my point. For example, If I'm at 14.4x magnification, I can't have the benefit of IS stabilizing the viewfinder for precise focusing. Image Stabilization only gets engaged when half pressing the shutter button and that disables focus magnification.

Okay, got it. Thanks for the the clarification. Yes, I can confirm this then. You can't use IS in the magnification view when in MF mode.

Mar 23, 2014 at 04:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.182 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

retrofocus wrote:
Okay, got it. Thanks for the the clarification. Yes, I can confirm this then. You can't use IS in the magnification view when in MF mode.

Update: I was playing with the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS today and learned a couple things:

1) It's actually possible to use 7.2x magnification while Image stabilization is engaged. Just change the Metabones from Green to "Advanced" mode.
In Advanced mode, you will be able to rotate the focusing ring and get 7.2x mag. with IS while half pressing the shutter button. You will also get peaking in the magnified subject. (I set peaking to high for this)

2) If instead of focus magnification, you would like to only use focus peaking, just turn "MF Assist" Off temporarily. Otherwise, it will auto-magnify to 7.2x and it's harder to see peaking when magnified.

3) Metabones AF is not only slow but inaccurate even in bright light. I did some tests and peaking or focus magnification yield tack sharp images. Auto-focus images were soft in comparison.
I would say for best resolution the best options are in this order:
Focus Magnification -- > Focus Peaking --> Auto-Focus

Fred

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:22 AM
DavidBM

p.182 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
Update: I was playing with the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS today and learned a couple things:

1) It's actually possible to use 7.2x magnification while Image stabilization is engaged. Just change the Metabones from Green to "Advanced" mode.
In Advanced mode, you will be able to rotate the focusing ring and get 7.2x mag. with IS while half pressing the shutter button. You will also get peaking in the magnified subject. (I set peaking to high for this)

2) If instead of focus magnification, you would like to only use focus peaking, just turn "MF Assist" Off temporarily. Otherwise, it will auto-magnify
...Show more
Thanks for this!

Just tried it. I gather from metabones site that advanced mode uses more battery: if you were out shooting all day with the adapter and only one battery that might be a reason to stick to green mode. But in the studio or with plenty of batteries it's a no brainer!

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:48 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password