Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              180      
       182              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.181 #1 · p.181 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:
Carsten
With all due respect, if any credible reviewer uses other's data it needs not only to be referenced, but also come with a disclaimer if it has not been applied by the reviewer.
In Thom's somewhat ambivalent comments on the A7r he left me with the feeling (since no reference to his own analysis was made) that he accepted it blindly.
Further, the review seems to imply little work was done with A7r's RAW images.

Okay, well, to me it sounded like he had worked with it to figure it all out, but didn't have anything in particular he wanted to post, and anyway, he was posting a review of the cameras, not a technical examination.

Regarding your earlier comment about my statement on Nikon's D800E, my rebuttal will be somewhat defensive
Nikon's use of the sensor is three years old and Sony has made improvements since then. These changes still require time to prove if they are indeed of benefit. However DXO's tests seem to show that it is.

DXO's sensor test show that the D800E beat the A7r on 3 of 4 criteria, and tied it on the last... I think this probably has a lot to do with why Nikon hasn't released anything new. On top of this, Nikon can't be enjoying the fact that their sensor partner is a camera competitor, so they are probably working overtime on some other strategy for the future.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.181 #2 · p.181 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

... .... .....

(that's Canon, tippy toeing around in the background) ... .... .....

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.181 #3 · p.181 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

jcolwell wrote:
... .... .....

(that's Canon, tippy toeing around in the background) ... .... .....

No, that's you working for Canon for free.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:33 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.181 #4 · p.181 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

does anybody know how fast the a7 can write on SD cards? I need a new card and don't know up to which speed the camera will benefit from a faster card.

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.181 #5 · p.181 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Phillip Reeve wrote:
does anybody know how fast the a7 can write on SD cards? I need a new card and don't know up to which speed the camera will benefit from a faster card.

Quote from Thom Hogan review:

"Definitely invest in state-of-the-art cards. I found that write speed was definitely slower with older cards. Id say you want 95Mbps cards or better with these cameras."

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:45 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.181 #6 · p.181 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Phillip Reeve wrote:

Here is Imaging Resource's results with the A7r: A7r Performance

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.181 #7 · p.181 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Phillip Reeve wrote:

Phillip,
IMO, the best performance card for the money is the Transcend 32GB SDHC "Ultimate" 600x. It costs about $20.

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:01 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.181 #8 · p.181 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
Phillip,
IMO, the best performance card for the money is the Transcend 32GB SDHC "Ultimate" 600x. It costs about $20.

No other card provides a better value than the Transcend? How's the performance of the card with the appropriate SD card reader?

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:27 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.181 #9 · p.181 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
Yep, that is exactly right, it may make many people happy, but there are enough potential niggles that a straight recommendation is questionable.

For people wanting fullframe in a small package, the "niggles" are negligible. I have no problems recommending the A7/A7r to people wanting portable bliss.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.181 #10 · p.181 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Question: why hasn't someone designed a simple 300gm weight that will slide onto the dove tail of a a7R L-bracket that will eliminate the shutter shock when using long lenses at lower shutter speeds? When using longer lenses most will attach to their ball head via the lens foot which leaves the L-bracket free. BTW: in vertical mode the weight would need a simple stop so it wouldn't slide all the way through and off.

Matt

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.181 #11 · p.181 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

schlotz wrote:
Question: why hasn't someone designed a simple 300gm weight that will slide onto the dove tail of a a7R L-bracket that will eliminate the shutter shock when using long lenses at lower shutter speeds? When using longer lenses most will attach to their ball head via the lens foot which leaves the L-bracket free. BTW: in vertical mode the weight would need a simple stop so it wouldn't slide all the way through and off.

Matt

A weight on the hotshoe provides the same benefit. My Yongnuo flash + 4 AA weighs exactly 1lb and eliminates the shutter blur I see with Canon IS lenses. Probably wouldn't be appropriate for portrait mode.

Mar 18, 2014 at 01:41 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.181 #12 · p.181 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

snapsy wrote:
A weight on the hotshoe provides the same benefit. My Yongnuo flash + 4 AA weighs exactly 1lb and eliminates the shutter blur I see with Canon IS lenses. Probably wouldn't be appropriate for portrait mode.

Interesting, sounds like that would work. Personally, I'm wanting a simple one piece accessory to slide on in the field for shooting landscapes. One that take up minimal room in the pack.

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:01 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.181 #13 · p.181 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

B&H will be streaming a live presentation from Sony about the A7(r) today at 1PM EST. You can submit questions to the Sony rep via twitter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotion/10662/sony-a7-live-stream-event.html

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:13 PM
alwang
• • •
p.181 #14 · p.181 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
Phillip,

Fred, just to confirm, are you talking about this one?

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.181 #15 · p.181 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

alwang wrote:
Fred, just to confirm, are you talking about this one?

Yes, the 32GB 600x is the ultimate version.

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.181 #16 · p.181 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

snapsy wrote:
B&H will be streaming a live presentation from Sony about the A7(r) today at 1PM EST. You can submit questions to the Sony rep via twitter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotion/10662/sony-a7-live-stream-event.html

Watching...

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:25 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.181 #17 · p.181 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
Watching...

haha, first twitter question asked about the light leak.

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.181 #18 · p.181 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Mark Weir (Sony's Senior Technology Manager) keeps repeating that the A7 can do continuous shooting in Speed Priority mode with autofocus at 5fps....
I was under the impression it was only 2.5fps.

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:26 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.181 #19 · p.181 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I think it is 5 fps in crop mode.

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:43 PM
amoma

p.181 #20 · p.181 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The 5fps is only in Speed Priority mode which locks the autofocus on the first frame. It's 2.5 with continuous AF.

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password